Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Coolant leak!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrohitredd is an unknown quantity at this point
Coolant leak!

the black hose that goes out of the coolant fill valve (the small 1/2" diameter outlet facing the engine), doesn't stay intact... It burst opens after every drive... At last I kinda locked it with a copper wire. I'm about 200 miles away from home... Is this ok to, lock down the hose that way and drive?
Why is it happening all of a sudden? When I locked down one end, the other started to do the same... Any reason why this started happening now? Should I change the hoses?

The attachment might help... Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	87639  
Old 04-11-2015
Registered!!

Re: Coolant leak!

Couple more pics...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	87640  
Old 04-12-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The hose must be open and free to flow liquid between the radiator and reservoir.

The cap of the plastic reservoir must NOT be sealed, there is supposed to be a hole in the side of it. If that got sealed up with an incorrect cap, it may pop the hose loose as pressure builds up.

You may clamp the hose ends if necessary,

and you need to be aware that the engine may have a blown head gasket.
Old 04-12-2015
Registered!!

so do you mean, that pop out of hose is because of a headgasket?
Old 04-12-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrohitredd
so do you mean, that pop out of hose is because of a headgasket?
It shouldn't, but if a head gasket leak were rapid enough I suppose it's possible it could pop hoses off.

It's certainly not normal to pop that hose you have your hands on, so what other possible cause have you come up with?

If it hasn't already had one, the car is a candidate for a blown head gasket just because of what it is.
Old 04-14-2015
Registered!!

I got the pressure/Leak checks done at Monro. They are saying all is well. But the hose Pops out one end or the other. Have no freakin idea of what's wrong. Why so much pressure being built?!!!
Old 04-14-2015
Registered!!

This so looks like a head gasket issue. But the guy says it's all five.

Now only after 5-10 mins of running engine & less than 5 miles of driving, the temperature needle raises beyond the mid - over heating!!!
Old 04-14-2015

Whomever you are taking your car to does not seem to be familiar with the intricacies of this model.

I strongly urge you to seek out a qualified Honda expert.
Old 04-15-2015
Registered!!

thanks eZone.
Will get the HeadGasket job done. $1400

on an other note, i recently got the Cat Converter, Timing Belt & Water Pump... Suspensions last year... Almost everything is new other than the Motor and Body... Do you see anything else major to be replaced in the near future ?
Iam little cramped up with $$$ & this car is giving me some real tough decisions... Spent almost $3000 with this HeadGasket job done... in the last 3 weeks.

Appreciate any input...
Old 04-15-2015

DIY cuts the costs significantly. IF you can't DIY then you pay someone else to do it. The price is the price. Yes if the car has age and miles it needs repairs, just like any other car.

How many miles are on this car?
Factory timing belt tensioner and spring are strongly recommended if the car will go past 200k on this timing belt job. NO aftermarket for this.

If you had known and been able to plan, you could have done the timing belt and water pump during the head gasket work, probably for not a whole lot more than the head gasket job alone.

Did you check into these items:
The hose must be open and free to flow liquid between the radiator and reservoir.

The cap of the plastic reservoir must NOT be sealed, there is supposed to be a hole in the side of it. If that got sealed up with an incorrect cap, it may pop the hose loose as pressure builds up.
I can't help but think there may be another reason the hose is popping off. It's quite unusual even with a blown head gasket. Are the rubber hoses swollen and mushy? Clogged?
Old 04-15-2015
Registered!!

I checked the white colored connector between 2 hoses...which was good. Didn't check the hose.

Head Gasket - I did tell that guy to do it while doing the timing belt jib. He said was trying to save me money by not doing it & I ended up spending more now!

Right now the car has 162k miles...