General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Close Call with Flying Object

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001
DIY King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
I was on the highway about 4-5 car lengths behind a RAV4 and suddenly I see a piece of metal 4 feet long coming at me. The RAV4 drove over it and then so did I. I didn't have any time to react since I didn't really know where the thing was going to go. It kinda blew under my left front tire and I heard a couple of scrapes and dings as I drove over it. I was ticked off as hell and as I made my exit I saw a garbage truck. I think the garbage truck was losing !@#$ out the back. Argh! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]

I went back home and checked it out and it looks okay. None of the outside body panels are scratched. I'm not sure about the undercarriage. I think I'll wash my car today, so I'll be sure. I guess this teaches me to drive farther back so that I can see !@#$ before it happens.
Old 11-09-2001
Registered!!

Cozmo is an unknown quantity at this point
something like that happened to me in my moms car once but i wasnt as lucky. i could have died. i was driving home on the highway in the middle lane. the car about 4 carlengths ahead on the right lane drives over something and sends it flying thru the air. I think to myself, SH!+, that lil piece of wood is coming strait at me! with cars on both sides of me i had no where to go. it hits the front pillar that holds the windshield and then i realize that it wasnt wood at all. it was a big ole piece of metal that cracked the windshield and totally broke the passenger side window. i just kept driving for a little bit thinking WTF was that. i looked down and i was covered in glass shards. i pulled over and sat there for a couple of minutes. called the police on my cell to tell them about the dangerous debris. decided to drive home and clean up there instead of on the shoulder since i was like 5 minutes from home. but anyways what freaked me is that if the metal struck a foot or two to the left, i would have lost my head!

just thought id share that with you
Old 11-09-2001
Registered!!

whiterice is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn! That's sounds crazy. Only thing that ever happened to me was I hit an 8 foot long thick piece of rebar on the highway. Luckily it hit dead center of my car and the front license plate took most the damage. Touch up paint does wonders, but there's still a big dent in my plate.
Old 11-09-2001
Registered!!

LOWBOY is an unknown quantity at this point
Something like that happened to me in an older thunderbird I had, except the piece of shrapnal was sticking up. I found out later that a piece of metal that holds part of the exaust components up was torn to shreds. It was ok, I only paid 75 to get it replaced.
Old 11-09-2001
Registered!!

2Hondaz is an unknown quantity at this point
You deffinitely have to watch your ****. People have literally been impaled by flying debris on the highways. Cozmo, your right, if it was a few feet further to the left it would have killed you. You're lucky that the A pillar took the hit and not your head.