Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Identifying an Aftermarket Alarm System

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mucklow is an unknown quantity at this point
Identifying an Aftermarket Alarm System

Hello all, I am very pleased that I decided to purchase a used 2012 Honda Civic EX Coupe! The car seems solid and is a massive pleasure to drive! Almost everything about it is perfect, except it's blind spot, and more specifically to my car, the security system. I've tried researching this only to find no definite answer. When I lock the car with the remote (I haven't tried the mechanical lock with the key), it starts blinking a really bright, blue light underneath the steering column. I called the dealership and asked about it, and they contacted the previous owner, who only said that they didn't know what it was, they just left it alone. However, whatever the system is, either stock or aftermarket, it's really finicky. I've noticed the alarm goes off at really odd times, like when I tried to unlock my car with the key. Or, when I closed the trunk. I'm not used to the almost automatic feeling of the trunk closing, so I might haveve slammed it a little hard, maybe that was the trigger? It also went off when I locked my doors with the door lock. The blue light has a button on it that when I hold it down, it either lights up, or turns off. I haven't done much experimenting with those switched, since the alarm is a frightening thing to have go off. Assuming it's an aftermarket system, is there any way of figuring out what kind of system is in it? I'm pretty sure that I'm the second owner too, which wouldn't make sense if the previous owner didn't know what it was. So, it's all in the air for me. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 08-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about
Re: Identifying an Aftermarket Alarm System

A picture of what you see and of the key fob would help.

If you look under the dash, probably under the steering wheel area you can probably find a small black box that is the brain of the alarm. Most Viper systems have a plug LED that flashed when the alarm is armed, it's meant to be a deterrent for potential thieves. They also have a small black button that is used to program the alarm. But it's usually a separate little black button that's not part of the light.

If you don't unlock the car with the fob then alarm is still active, so when you open the door with the key the alarm goes off because it was never deactivated.

As for the trunk they could have a shock sensor in the car to detect movement like if someone is getting in the car. If the alarm is active and you slam the trunk I could see how that would set it off.

It probably shouldn't go off when you lock the doors from door lock.
Old 08-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Identifying an Aftermarket Alarm System

It's not factory, that's for sure. You or someone would need to find the control unit and check name and numbers, maybe google to see what it is and who made it, and at that point you should be able to get a user manual online from the manufacturers site.

The 12 LX is equipped with a basic alarm from the factory and it will flash a red light in the area of the fuel gauge after you lock the car, but there are no shock sensors or glass breakage sensors like would be available with an aftermarket system.