Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission slip

Old 09-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dudeguy19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission slip

New here,I just bought a 2000 auto SE for $400.,just wondering if the VSS being out can cause transmission slips.It seems to get confused and bouce off the rev limiter when trying to go into third.
Also has anyone had any luck with aftermarket IACV's? The car is revving up and down when not in gear,throwing codes for the iacv .Did not want to pay $180 for the oem part on a $400 car so found a aftermarket on Amazon for $40. Tried cleaning the current one with no luck.Thanks!
edit:to clarify,the speedo and odometer are both out,and the car threw a VSS code,part is on the way.

Last edited by Dudeguy19; 09-05-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-05-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Transmission slip

the car threw a VSS code,part is on the way.
Should have checked the wiring first. But I guess you'll find out real soon.
Old 09-05-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Should have checked the wiring first. But I guess you'll find out real soon.
i checked the pigtail as far back as i could.Engine bay is kind of gross(it sat for 2 months after passing inspection,iacv made it idle funny,exhaust broke off and speedo/odo stopped working.Guy thought she was toast or close to it,hence why it was $400) didn't see any obvious tears/cuts.Contacts looked good too.
Old 09-05-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

i checked the pigtail as far
Ok good. Someone posted the other day, had pics of a connector and VSS that was so corroded that one pin was completely missing. Rotted away to nothing.
Old 09-05-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Ok good. Someone posted the other day, had pics of a connector and VSS that was so corroded that one pin was completely missing. Rotted away to nothing.
oh no i always check that stuff before buying parts,learned the hard way lol..not much corrosion on this car(besides where the obvious damage is from a truck backing into it),i did see the cooling fans have been replaced and rewired with electrical tape though,scared to dig deeper .like i said,$400 car though..lucky it runs at all.