Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 civic keeps shutting off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brenda Morales is an unknown quantity at this point
99 civic keeps shutting off while driving

Usually when it shuts off the RPM goes down to 0 while im driving and the battery and oil light comes on right as its shutting off. Once I manage to pull in somewhere I need to let the car sit for 10ish minutes before it lets me start it again, anything less than that it will just crank and not turn on. Sometimes i can go 4 days or even a week without it turning off at all and then having the same problem again and having it shut off after 10-15 min of driving. Also no codes come up and the mechanic I went to said it could be the distributor or ignition coil, not sure exactly what it was called but he said he wasnt sure because he wasnt getting a code come up for it. Hope someone can help. Thanks!

Last edited by Brenda Morales; 12-09-2017 at 02:11 AM.
Old 12-09-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 99 civic keeps shutting off while driving

Originally Posted by Brenda Morales
Usually when it shuts off the RPM goes down to 0 while im driving and the battery and oil light comes on right as its shutting off. Once I manage to pull in somewhere I need to let the car sit for 10ish minutes before it lets me start it again, anything less than that it will just crank and not turn on. Sometimes i can go 4 days or even a week without it turning off at all and then having the same problem again and having it shut off after 10-15 min of driving. Also no codes come up and the mechanic I went to said it could be the distributor or ignition coil, not sure exactly what it was called but he said he wasnt sure because he wasnt getting a code come up for it. Hope someone can help. Thanks!
Possibly ignition coil. Check spark per Ezone method: long screw driver to ground and slowly increase air-gap to see arc length/spark quality. Testing it in this manner could finish off the coil if it's weak. In this case finishing off a weak coil is a good thing as it needs to be replaced with a new one and the most likely cause of your posted issue.

Another possibility may be a failing/weak/intermittent fuel pump. Consider replacing the fuel filter if last replacement/mileage is unkown.
Old 12-09-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Vague....

Doubt coil because they always seem to be one fail and done, no comeback

Igniter might act that way with random fails that get worse and worse until final death,

Main relay could act that way

Ignition switch fail would usually leave the lights on the dash dark just like the key was shut off ,,,,and the bad contacts make the warning lights flicker as you slowly roll the key
Old 12-09-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
Vague....

Doubt coil because they always seem to be one fail and done, no comeback

Igniter might act that way with random fails that get worse and worse until final death,

Main relay could act that way

Ignition switch fail would usually leave the lights on the dash dark just like the key was shut off ,,,,and the bad contacts make the warning lights flicker as you slowly roll the key
This is why I hesitated becoming a moderator. As a moderator I feel I should be more accurate with my responses. As a regular member I felt I could guesstimate..lol.
Old 12-09-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalodong
This is why I hesitated becoming a moderator. As a moderator I feel I should be more accurate with my responses.
That's not what moderating is about.....

I'm a troubleshooter and technician first..........technical details and accuracy are everything in my daily work....and it kinda carries over to this
Old 12-09-2017

That's not what moderating is about.....
This site is pretty tame compared to some other ones. I haven't permormed any "mods" to date..LOl

I'm a troubleshooter and technician first..........technical details and accuracy are everything in my daily work....and it kinda carries over to this
Thankfully so.