Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 ex motor swap in 2000 ex

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suzyy13 is an unknown quantity at this point
94 ex motor swap in 2000 ex

I have a 2000 ex civic and had gotten another motor 94 ex civic that i want to put in. Most of all the sensors fit except the crank position sensor, its different on the 94 engine. How do i solve this problem? Is the a wiring harness to get or a new computer? what can i do?
Old 01-28-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 94 ex motor swap in 2000 ex

I'm not a swap pro by any stretch of the imagination, but I think you'll have to use the engine (and maybe trans?), the wiring harness, and the computer from the older car, all as a complete set.

IDK if the older computer will plug into the newer cars dash harness without modification though.

---

You know it's not a legal swap, and you will probably have a rough time if you have to do an emissions test, right?

See if someone else chimes in with better info
Old 01-28-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Your better off getting an engine for the proper gen civic.

Like ezone said you will probably have to swap the whole computer and trans over (basically make your 2000 a 94). Emissions places don't like that.
Old 01-28-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

hunh.... this is a complicated one? IF all the sensors plugged in, it might have worked? unless the engine hardware do have something (such as higher compression) that makes it achieve the emission levels, the ECU using the actual car chassis' one should take care of the emissions?
now, this one... the CPS does not fit wiring. IF you can fit the oldee (new) engine's CPS, maaaaybe it will work physically, but then it's a luck to see if the ECU will reckon it and run.
G'lucky? Never done a swap myself either...
Old 01-29-2014
Registered!!

I figured I would have the emissions problem but I don't plan on keeping that engine in. Its just temporary until I finish rebuilding my motor. I just need it to work for a little while, it sucks not having a car. I do know of places around here that with a 'few extra bucks' they'll pass your car inspection no questions
Old 01-29-2014
Registered!!

The sensor that is different is the crank fluctuation but I heard there's a bypass you can do by splicing some wire to the computer which will allow the car to run fine
Old 01-29-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Does it run yet? Have you tried?

AFAIK, the 99 only uses the CKF for misfire detection, which the 94 is not equipped with, so it should still run without it.
Old 01-30-2014
Registered!!

yes it is running fine, i spliced the wires together and its working. i did get the check engine light on for the knock sensor tho
Old 01-30-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

glad it worked. electrical/electronics are actually the trickiest pats to fit a frank (enstein)