I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Most Unique Kill Switch Location?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all
Most Unique Kill Switch Location?

Guys:

My roomie recently had his 92 Toyota SR-5 stolen and probably parted out to Tijuana. He's talking about how that will never happen again, and we've been discussing some locations for a hidden kill switch system. Basically, he is a mechanical engy, I know some EE stuff, so we can pretty confidently make it ourselves, and put all the relays in such a PITA location that a theif would have to almost dissasemble the dash or spend so much time looking for it under the hood as to not make it worth his while.

The thing is, we're trying to think up unique places or things you'd have to do to get the car started, without having said things be a PITA to deal with everytime someone starts the car. Any Suggestions? We don't want things that are common knowledge (Switch in plain sight or in ashtray, turn signal trigger, elights, headlights, etc.

So far we've thought of a few:

1: Cigarette Lighter / 12V power plug has to be connected to a cell charger or something closing the circuit. Charger is an innocuous thing in the car that you prob. wouldn't notice while looking for a switch.

2: A/C buttons or ***** have to be set to a certain position (on a civic e.g. both the defrost and the recirculate air buttons have to be activated for the circuit to close) definitely something you wouldn't see everyday, but could be a PITA if its cold or you forget to reset them.

Any Other Ideas?

Last edited by reddawnman; 02-18-2005 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-18-2005
Bobaganoosh!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
lol....I saw something in a school paper about a kill switch rigged to a radio station. You had to have it tuned to some random channel before the car would start...how the hell do you do that???? lol
Old 02-18-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
tell your buddy to think more about an interior siren on a backup battery than a killswitch. Its more foolproof and it will keep thieves out of your car entirely. Lets say you put in a kill switch and it's the hardest thing to figure. Jack comes along and well, decides to Jack your ride. He slims the door and hops in. Can't start the car though. After a while he decides F it, I'm bailing. But . . . he's plenty frustrated so before he jets he slices your seat and smashes your HU display. . . Its best just to keep these dickholes out of your whip in the first place. I knew a guy who tried to break into a car with an interior siren once, he was like, nope- c ya!
Old 02-18-2005
Bobaganoosh!

Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
do what my friend taught me..

put one of these bitches in your car...after the crook blows out his ear drums he probably won't feel much like stealing your ****

PIEZO
Old 02-18-2005
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
The cigarette lighter one is freaking old. Everyone knows about it. The install guys from the shop next to my house were suggesting that one to me.
Old 02-18-2005
Go Team Venture!

againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
^ yep.. one of those siren things.. put the switch is sorta plain site yet still hidden so it looks like a kill switch..

then put the real kill switch in the under the headliner on a rocker switch
Old 02-18-2005
Registered!!

tacheon is on a distinguished road
My question is why even bother with a kill switch? As it has already been shown, once the location is discovered, the car is compromised. There are plenty of inexpensive and highly effective passive immobilizers on the market. Clifford virtual key for example is similar to the device we have in the latest Hondas. They have a coded tag on your keychain which is picked up by an antenna mounted in the steering column. It then closes off multiple relays so the car can start and stay running. All of the relays are housed in the control unit which is hidden away. Since all of the wires are black and the relays are always wired in the normally open state, finding and pulling out the control unit guarantees the car won't be able to be started. The wires have labeled flags on them so the installer knows how to wire it up. After it is installed and tested, the installer pulls off the flags so even he won't be able to steal the car. There are also many variations of the Clifford virtual key. Some have a tiny coded transponder card as well. Similar idea, all as effective.
Old 02-22-2005
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
my favorite killswitch location was piggybacked on the left turn signal. We tried for hours to move the guy's truck into the bay, but nothing we did would make the car start. finally had to call him, he had forgotten to tell us the car wouldnt start unless the left turn signal was on.