General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

THE nitrous post

Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JoeB16 is an unknown quantity at this point
THE nitrous post

Is n2o dangerous???

Well any Strong MOD on a car can be dangerous, but n2o is just as safe as a turbo and a supercharger as long as you use your brain and don’t over due it

A n2o wet kit is when the n2o is activated and spraying the system sprays a matching amount of fuel thru the nozzle with the n2o to give a “more accurate shot”

A n2o dry kit is when the n2o is activated and spraying the system uses a vacume to adjust the fuel pressure and use the cars injectors to spray the fuel accordingly

If you are going to run a 50-65 dry shot it is not required but it is recommended that you get these mods..
1. new plugs ngk bkr7e’s
2. fuel pressure regulator
3. new clutch,, yours will die after a little while

If you are going to run a 65-80 shot dry it is highly recommend you get these mods in addition to the other mods..
1. New fuel pump Walbro makes a good one “Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump”
2. Some sort of device to retard the timing automatically “it helps your car run better” MSD BTM or the MSD Dig 6+
3. Motor mount inserts “needed to keep the car from hopping when n2o kicks in”

Items recommended to get with a wet shot…
1. new plugs ngk bkr7e’s
2. FPR
3. New clutch
4. Fuel pump
5. Motor mount inserts

This question is under very high debate right now so I will post one answer,,
The common answer is to retard the timing 2 degrees for every 50hp shot of n2o…
But most people have not retarded their timing till a 75 shot and then only retarded it 1 degree they feel you should not have to till at least 100hp shot. This is also the way I feel “zex has a dramatic retard change” nos does not ?
Zex™ Kit (#82011)
55hp 65hp 75hp
Nitrous Jet 32 35 38
Fuel Jet 36 34 32
Ignition Retard 0° 2° 4°

This depends on what you want to do,, if you are going to run less then 70-75 then dry would be best for you it is perfectly stable and easier to install..
But if you are going higher then 75 you might want to try a wet shot since the wet does manage the fuel better when spraying.

Most bottles hold 10 pounds of N²0. The price varies according to where you live. Dave pays about $3.33 a pound here in Panama City, Florida. That’s because there’s limited supply. You may get a better deal in bigger cities where there is N²0 Dealer competition. In Orlando Florida I pay anywhere from 2.50 a pound where they freeze the tank for a day,, to 3.50 a pound where they pump the gas in.

A window switch is a device that when the power to the n2o is activated and the car is a WOT it will only let the n2o actually fire in the range that you specified with the switch “you change this with pills that set the rpm range”

Example: you insert a 5000pill and a 7500pill you floor the car when you reach 5000 rpm the n2o will spray till you hit 7500rpm then the n2o will turn off…..

Is the window switch needed… it depends on how paranoid you are most people do not think it is worth the hassle to install the switch,, but if you are running a chipped ecu I actually would recommend it due to the higher rev limit..

Well that depends on what you are going to do if you are going a dry shot do not go higher then 75 due to the restricted fuel flow you will experiencing,, If you are going wet shot then max I would say is 100 shot with all the upgraded mod items..

Everyones cars are different so this is just a hard question to answer it is best to start with a small shot and keep checking the engine to see if you have any damage and slowly upgrade..

if your motor blows dont try to hide the damage any experienced tech can tell if you had a major mod,

Well that all depends on you, you cant rely on your car to be the sole thing to beat another car everything is up to the driver,,,, You can have a very fast car and still lose to a slow car with a good driver

You can install n2o in ANY car you want all you need to do is figure out what type of kit you want and convert it to fit your car

NO a purge kit is not needed,, a purge kit just removes the dead air in the line it saves you about .1 of a sec off your time, and the amount of n2o that gets sprayed out with the air could be used for another pass down the track, “you blow about $1.50-2.50 each time you purge”,,,
Yes,, any purge kit you get can bee hooked up to any n2o kit you have

Yes, it is a great thing to get a n2o gauge the reason for this is that if you have the gauge on the dash it will help tell you if you have enough pressure to race and if you have any n2o in your tank,, it sucks pulling up to race and finding out your tank is empty,, I also recommend a fuel pressure gauge and a air/fuel gauge,, but I can not in good conscience recommend the autometer air/fuel gauge get a good one like greddy or hks the autometer one when on a dyno with a air/fuel test being done the autometer was wrong which could cause damage..

To get the best reading of the pressure on your line I and rzrshrp plugged our gauges into the line closest to the solenoids to get the most accurate reading

Well the purple box most people mount it right behind the intake manifold it is a very tight squeeze but it will fit and looks nice there,, this is the same place I mounted my NOS setup.
The tank the best place to mount is in the trunk behind the driver side “it is best here because” on the driver side of the car you have the brake lines run so you can put your n2o line run in the brake line runner so the n2o line will not get crushed which stinks from experience..

The best place to mount the nozzle is 1-6 inches from the throttle body the dry kit I recommend 6 inches If you are using a dry shot and you have a AEM you can use the oil return line and tap the nozzle into that or drill a hole in the bottom and aim towards the throttle body,, if you are using a wet shot I recommend about 2-3 inches and try to point it to the runners to make sure the fuel make it in with the n2o..

When can or when should you spray ,, well 2 gears you should not spray in is 1st and 5th the reason being is that in first you will just sit and spin but with practice you might be able to learn how to do it,, with 5th that is the weakest gear on the clutch and tranny due to it is a highway gear and not made to handle the sudden kick of power..
And try not to spray until 4500-5000 rpm to make sure the engine is nice an spinning and try to stop by 7500-7800 so you wont bounce and cause some damage

When you are going to spray you want your bottle at the highest pressure you can get but not to dangerous 1300 is extremely high and dangerous your burst disk might blow,, 1000-1200 is the best pressure to get the most out of your kit below that you will feel it but not as hard.,,with bottle pressure of 600 you really wont feel that much at all

To achieve this you should get a bottle blanket and or a bottle heater,,,, and YES other companys blankets and heaters will work for other bottles.

Well it depends on you but here is a easy way to figure it out,, with a 50 shot take off .5-.75 off your average time with a 100 shot take off 1-1.5 off your average time ”estimated” this has been tested with timeslips from other gas heads..

You should only need internal mods with a shot of about 100 or higher if higher then 100 then I recommend piston, rods, valves, springs, retainers, cams, cam gears..

I have checked with 90% of the manufactures that make cams and see if they recommend or think their cams work with n2o, and so far the only companys that say theirs will work are Crower makes a set that they say works with n2o, JUN stage 1 says it can handle n2o and ZEX makes a set that works well with n2o,, most other companys say they have not tested with n2o and do not recommend it and say it sould void warrenty

Yes you can still run n2o but you are putting extreme strain on the engine at on time so it could damage it I recommend a wet shot for this to make sure you have enough fuel and retard the timing alittle more and also do not spray above 50 to keep it safe..

Shot Size Wet NOS N2O Jet Fuel Jet Recommended Ret.
50 .037 .022 0
60 .039 .024 1
70 .041 .026 1-2
80 .043 .028 2-3

Shot Size Dry NOS N2O Jet Fuel Jet Recommended Ret.
40 .034 .044 0
50 .032 .042 1
60 .034 .042 1-2
70 .041 .036 2-3

Zex Kit Shot Size N2O Jet Fuel Jet Zex Retard Setting
55 32 36 0
65 35 34 2
75 38 32 4

Auto trannies take better advantage of N2O than manuals since it shifts faster and you don't have to lift between gears, But keep in mind that you are still spraying when the tranny is shifting and could cause flooding and maybe even a blown engine. An auto tranny should easily handle 55HP of extra power; if anything, the torque converter isn't in question, rather the clutches/bands in the first two forward gears. Nevertheless, you SHOULD have NO problems with the 55HP dry setup

The shot is equivalent to the Horse Power gain. 55shot=55hp (although it's not exact, that's the main idea). So if you went with a 75 shot of N20 than you would expect a 75 HP increase NOW this is different with certain systems dry kits tend to rate the HP at the Flywheel and not at the wheels

Well, if it's a standard Zex kit you have an endless amount of locations. I've seen people mount all their switches by the ebrake. I also see people cut a piece of ABS Plastic and mount them in that pocket down by the drink holders (Si version). You also could mount in that change draw like you said. In that location you can not close the drawer unless the switch is completely off (Safer). There really is no end to the locations. Dave on the other hand mounted his PROUDLY right next to the Sunroof button and mirror adjustment button (sorry no pics). As far as keeping your hands on the wheel, just learn to launch with it armed in first gear and everything should be fine.

For a 75 shot I would run the PSI at 44 with line off. That would put your idle psi at about 41 idle psi is measured with line on of course). I actually ran my psi at 51 with line off. But was running real rich. I dyno'ed it at 44 psi with line off and the air/fuel was right on. Remember it's better to run rich then lean. And with a dry system you need the psi up higher than normal

yes you can,, but it is recommended that you do a compression check to see where your engine stands then take every safety percaution and I personally would not recommend over a 50 shot

Kit New Used up to 6 months +6 months
Zex 500.00 400.00 250.00-300.00 max
NOS 5122 500.00 350.00 200.00-300.00 max
NOS WET 600.00 400.00 300.00-350.00 max
NX 550.00 400.00 350.00
Venom 1100.00 700.00 450.00
Purge Kit 100.00 90.00 75.00
Bottle Heater NOS 100.00 90.00 75.00
Bottle Opener NOS 190.00 100.00 75.00
N2O 10lb bottle 150.00 100.00 100.00
Clutch 300-600.00 Never buy What are you stupid

Summit Pricing and Part Number for Window Switch

#MSD-8956 RPM Window Activation Switch = $76.95
#MSD-8744 RPM Modules 4000-4800 = $20.69
#MSD-8748 RPM Modules 8000-8800 = $20.69
#MSD-8961 MSD High Current Relay DPST = $25.95
TOTAL = $148.28

This is almost about personal preference they BOTH do the same thing and they are both DRY systems. The NOS kit is known to produce more horsepower since it is seemed to be rated at Wheel HP in stead of zex’s Flywheel HP.
As for the differences, Zex is a lot easier to install it is VERY user friendly and relies on a WOT voltage to activate. NOS dry takes a little longer to install and uses a mechanical switch to activate in WOT.

The PRO’S of ZEX.
Very easy to install
Self contained
Safe if instructions are followed
CON’S of ZEX
Low HP
Electrical WOT activation
Been known to have problems “could be due to install

PRO’S of NOS DRY
Higher HP
Long lasting company and support
Can be upgraded
Mechanical WOT Switch
CON’S of NOS DRY
Takes longer to install

Well you are going to have to think for a minute. Do I have the time to research this and make sure I do not blow up my engine? Do I really have the time to keep going and refilling my bottle. Can I control the erg to raise the shot with out taking the proper safety measures.

If you answered yes then you might have be okay running N2O

Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
Jesus christ man. Have the n00bs wont have a clue what you just posted.
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
BAH! how can it get any more simple?
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

bambuski is an unknown quantity at this point
wow...everything i wanted to know and then some...thanks
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

GTekCiViC is an unknown quantity at this point
ok........ let me translate what he just posted.....

N20 is goooooooodddddddd........ but there are exceptions......

1) Shiztty motors can not handle it (hyundai, daewoo, kia, etc.)...... dun put n20
in engines that aren't ment to go fast.
2) When u use N20, things will break........
3) If your an idiot don't use it

I think i sumed it up, if anyone wants to add be my guess.
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

R3DF0G is an unknown quantity at this point
All I can say is im glad to see him posting something useful(and helpful) unlike lastnight. I have a lot more respect for you now man. There's no way you could have explained that any better.
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

Cross is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow I feel smarter! So how do we turn on the N20? [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

Randy
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

either manually or you can get a remote bottle opener (which i reccomend).

BTW, im chock full of usefull information, but if i see something stupid posted, im all over it like a fly on shit. And i dont pull punches as to spare peoples feelings.
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

Diznavis is an unknown quantity at this point
geez you wrote a damn book there i didnt think it was ever going to end
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

Ramen is an unknown quantity at this point
I see... very good, useful information. I wish I understand what they mean.
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

well, if you noticed, i mentioned a few SPECIFIC cars there, so you could just pass through the sections that dont apply directly to you.
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

Barney should not be trustedBarney should not be trustedBarney should not be trusted
I have a dry venom 75 shot. It makes a big difference. As soon as you hit the switch the tires spin, it's unexplainable. The rush you get is everlasting. It is A DRUG. You will always want to use it.
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

FURY is an unknown quantity at this point

<< see something stupid posted, im all over it like a fly on shit. And i dont pull punches as to spare peoples feelings. >>

high five.
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

slam2k1civic is an unknown quantity at this point
The only problem that i see here is that you should not use a dry kit (nos), because our civics do not have a return fuel system. if you guys don't believe me ask someone that nows about our cars.
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, it would be safer to use a wet kit. I'm getting one with a maximum of a 40 shot just to be on the safe side. My friend who worked at various tuner shops can get a new kit of any brand for around $250, great deal !!
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

spoony is an unknown quantity at this point
htat is the longest post i ever see'd! i got bored after a lil bit and was unable to finish [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

Belle is an unknown quantity at this point
very usefull information. i'm starting to like this joe guy now. anyways, i am thinking of a 40 shot NOS kit. nota generalization, i want that name NOS to be part of my car. just for psychalogical reasons. anyways, i'll do my best to use N2O from now on, just as a reward for that fabulous post.
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

mykel115 is an unknown quantity at this point
After reading your thread I having a second thought of installing N2O to my car
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

<< htat is the longest post i ever see'd! i got bored after a lil bit and was unable to finish [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] >>

how old are you?
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boosted is an unknown quantity at this point
IMO the Venom VCN 2000 kit is actually the best kit out so far.
Even though it is dry it use a new style proportion valve that makes it a far more superior
kit than any other kits out there.
Old 01-31-2002
Turbo Member

RiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enoughRiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enough
allthough I allready knew most of this thanks for the info.
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

LOWBOY is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, I was going to say thanks for telling us what most of us already know.
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

StealthBlack is an unknown quantity at this point
Just so you all know, he didnt type this up he copied it from a web site.
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

trevor is an unknown quantity at this point
yes............The Website was ClubSI..................but its all good
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

and yea,,,,I already knew also..............although its nice for all the people who dont know...now they do.
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

actually, a lot of it, i copied from nitrous tec text, other parts were added. you swear like id make all that up just for this site, common now. And who exactly do you think posted it origionally? [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

normaspirated is an unknown quantity at this point

<< yes............The Website was ClubSI..................but its all good
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

and yea,,,,I already knew also..............although its nice for all the people who dont know...now they do.
>>

Old 01-31-2002
BAK
Registered!!

BAK is an unknown quantity at this point
$hit... I like getting Nitrous filled in an old Scuba tank I've got, hook up my Scuba regular, and get stoned out of my mind !!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-10-2002
Registered!!

Red2k3Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
BAK - sulfer smell good to you???? [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-10-2002
Registered!!

avenger is an unknown quantity at this point
i forgot about this post heheheh

diggin in the archives eh?
Old 05-10-2002
Registered!!

wh3nw0rdsesc4pe is an unknown quantity at this point
this thread kicks some booty....[IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG]

helped me alot!!

Search this Thread