I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

PLEASE HELP WITH HU CONCERNS!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CIVICONBAGS is an unknown quantity at this point
PLEASE HELP WITH HU CONCERNS!!!!!!!!!

ok this is the deal... I got my hu stolen along with years of collected music last week so now is the time to go buy a new hu... i had a pioneer deh-p6400 and i loved the sound quality that it gave me.. and i loved the degree of control i had over my music.. i was about to buy another pioneer when someone told me how great alpine decks are.. this got me thinking.. i did some research and found alpine has loads of features that sounds pretty damn good to me.. now heres the concern.. i am so used to the sound quality of my pioneer deck that i will be so upset if i hear anything less... but the idiot that got me going on the alpine decks influenced me to look into the alpine units. I admit they are pretty dam ugly but id sacrifice that for sound quality.. so if anyone can give me advice on which way i should lean i would great appreciate it. If i were to go with the alpine i was looking at the cda-9813 with the v-drive mosfet... PIONEER OR ALPINE?
Old 04-11-2003
Registered!!

jefff is an unknown quantity at this point
if you wanted prettier Alpine's you could go with one of these.
They have similar features and quality.

But Alpine is a little better quality than Pioneer IMO.
Although I'd buy either one and sleep well.

GOOD

CDA-9807

BETTER

CDA-9815

THE ****!

CDA-7995
Old 04-11-2003
Registered!!

But doesnt the cda-7995 have less features and the tone shaping is bass engine plus... while the 9813 is cheaper and uses bass engine pro... anyways thanks for the advice.. one person is all i needed and have already ordered the 9813 thanks to jefff
Old 04-11-2003
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's the great misconcepion about HU's. This rant has beena long time coming.

1 - For teh most part, all HU's in the same price range are identical in quality. The only thing that changes is the EQ, the crossovers, and the cd readers.
a - EQ - with enough tweaking, any 2 hu's IN TEH SAME PRICE RANGE could sound the same
b - crossovers - Don't use onboard crossovers, no good
c - cd reader - Unless youre going from aiwa deck to eclipse 8000 series, the reader is the same ****

2 - Now, with the proper install, you can make a low end 100 dollar pioneer perform better than a high end alpine or whatever. 90% install 10% equipment.

3 - MOST features on a deck actually hinder your sound quality, because it adds excess equalization and brings in clipping and overamplification of signals.

4 - If you can audibly hear a difference, then either you tuned it wrong, or its mohawkboom's favorite word.... PSYCHOACOUSTICS... you're telling yourself its not as good therefore it isnt as good.

How do I shop for a radio? I shop for reliability. I shop because ive played with them and they dont skip. I shop for an easy setup with teh buttons. I dont wanna have to pull out my manual to change my volume. With enough tweaking i can make it sound good. I've had 4 radios in my vic, I'm happiest with the clarion.

Sorry about that, I just am sick of hearing battles over which radio is best.
Old 04-11-2003
Registered!!

Civicly02 will become famous soon enoughCivicly02 will become famous soon enough
I just got the 9815 and I love it I could see it during the day and night. Isn't the 9815 better than the 7995?
Old 04-11-2003
Registered!!

get this get that.. my friends are confusing the sh*T out of me but anyways.. thanks for your inputs ... people are tellin me to go with sony or panasonic now.. but ive listened to those and they sound like crap... i was thinking about clarion for a while too... but im going to get that one later as an indash dvd but for now i already bought the alpine it should be coming pretty dam soon and i cant wait... and i think any 98 series hu are better than 78.. by the way of added features such as mp3.. jus my opinion
Old 04-11-2003
Registered!!

Civicly02 will become famous soon enoughCivicly02 will become famous soon enough
th 98 has the mp3 player however the 79 needs an external amp. All the alpines with the second number of "9" needs an amp
Old 04-11-2003
Registered!!

Subrage is an unknown quantity at this point
i love my 8051 but wanna upgrade to an indash Lcd screen with built in dvd
Old 04-11-2003
Registered!!

Ludlam's got it right, There is no real big sound quality diff. the only diff is what kind of features you like and sometimes the quality of the physical components,(ie. higes, moters, etc.)

BTW: I'm glad I could help out.
Old 04-11-2003
Registered!!

Civicly02,

The 7995 is actualy a little higher model, I don't know why they started the naming scheme that way, but whatever.

The reason some decks don't have any power of their own is, like you said, their desighned to run on amps. This type of deck is "usually" desighned for competition use. (their assuming you want to put more power to the speakers than the typical 35-50 watts.
Old 04-12-2003
Registered!!

CivicEnvy2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a deh-p440. It's a good deck. But one of the best decks around are Eclipse. They are a little more expensive, but the sound quality is well worth it.