Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Drove while overheated, engine damaged?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extractfromtab is an unknown quantity at this point
Drove while overheated, engine damaged?

Hi,

99 civic sedan

Being from Canada, rust is a huge issue. My lower radiator hose clamp rusted right off. But it was gradual and it's been raining a lot so I didn't realize there was a leak until there was no coolant in the system at all.

I drove with the thermostat above the red for about 2 minutes. There was light smoke above the engine, my fan thermoswitch is burnt out (it's jumpered with a wire now).

I replaced the hose clamp, filled up the coolant, the car starts fine and sounds normal. The check engine light was on, but is now off after battery reset. The temperature gauge sits at slightly below halfway when the engine is heated up. I haven't seen any coolant on my oil dipstick or oil in my coolant reservoir.

I am still concerned about head gasket damage though. Should I be making 300 km trips? Should I replace my thermostat or fan thermoswitch? Should I get a combustion and pressure test done?

Last edited by Extractfromtab; 08-25-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Drove while overheated, engine damaged?

drive it and see how it goes, keep your eye closely on the temp guage,

consider yourself very lucky if you dont have a blown head gasket and/or a warped head
Old 09-09-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
El Magico is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Extractfromtab
Hi,

99 civic sedan

Being from Canada, rust is a huge issue. My lower radiator hose clamp rusted right off. But it was gradual and it's been raining a lot so I didn't realize there was a leak until there was no coolant in the system at all.

I drove with the thermostat above the red for about 2 minutes. There was light smoke above the engine, my fan thermoswitch is burnt out (it's jumpered with a wire now).

I replaced the hose clamp, filled up the coolant, the car starts fine and sounds normal. The check engine light was on, but is now off after battery reset. The temperature gauge sits at slightly below halfway when the engine is heated up. I haven't seen any coolant on my oil dipstick or oil in my coolant reservoir.

I am still concerned about head gasket damage though. Should I be making 300 km trips? Should I replace my thermostat or fan thermoswitch? Should I get a combustion and pressure test done?
What ended up happening to your civic?
Old 09-10-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

That post is from 5 years ago