Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ICE freezing door lock actuators / lock cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2021
Jp7
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jp7 is an unknown quantity at this point
ICE freezing door lock actuators / lock cylinders

I have a 2000 civic 4-door. The body is in very good shape with only 87K miles on it, there isn't much rust- I like to keep it that way. I live in a wintery area and as I have an unlimited car-wash subscription I like to go through there pretty much every day. The car gets parked in a heated garage when it's at home, but when I'm at work for 12 hours a day sometimes I have issues with the door locks freezing up but this is strange.

It only happens when it is below freezing outside when i go through the car wash on my way to work. Regardless of how cold it is, it will not do this if I do not wash the car. When I let it sit and come back out to the car I see that all-4 of the power lock actuators won't open the doors- but it's ALWAYS all 4 doors. I never get 1,2, or 3 frozen. It's always all 4. Now- what I have been doing is using the key to turn the locks manually on the front doors. Sometimes they can be a little frozen as well. But as soon as I get into the car and I start it, immediately all 4 doors will unlock and lock with the switch on the drivers door. It's like it's strange that with the alternator running and outputting 14 Volt's it's enough to work it's way past the ice that must be building up inside.

I have already replaced 3 of the 4 lock actuators trying to get more performance and a better magnetic field to pull on these. In the back, I even used authentic honda actuators. Car has a new battery as well, and good charge (I changed it last summer) Alternator keeps a good charge on the battery as well (Car cranks and starts great)

As I've had all of the doors apart I was surprised at the length of the linkage, it seems excessive. Most of the other cars I have are much simpler in design. Do any of you have tips to fight this? I assume it is a known problem. I know I can just not wash the car on the way to work, but I like to keep the salt off of it as it is my winter/work car and I want it to last.

I plan on shooting some pure anti-freeze into the key lock holes to help prevent it from freezing the door key and hopefully this will improve the lock problem so I can avoid being locked out.
Old 01-16-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: ICE freezing door lock actuators / lock cylinders

put something to cover the key holes, maybe a sticker? before washing the car. Likely water getting in.
if it does not freeze next day, you have your culprit
Old 01-16-2021
Jp7
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jp7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
put something to cover the key holes, maybe a sticker? before washing the car. Likely water getting in.
if it does not freeze next day, you have your culprit
I'm actually more concerned with keeping the actuators working overnight... I have been lazy and I need to put a little squirt bottle of some antifreeze in my backpack when I go to work. I think I can get this to help with the locks.
Old 01-16-2021
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,137 Likes on 951 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Lubricate the hell out of the lock cylinder and the latch mechanism