Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Driver Door Lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JD101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Driver Door Lock problem

On my Civic 03, the driver door lock key doesn't always go in on first try, it goes half way, you have to try several times then it might work. The key is fine since the same key is used for starting the car, passenger side door lock and trunk lock. They all work except the driver door lock. I'm not sure whether this type of issue is due to misalignment or what. I tried to lubricate it a little and it is not of much help.

Would it be wise to swap the lock cylinders since the passenger side you only use it once in awhile. This will save on the parts cost but labor might be more. If I have dealer replace the lock, they will need to rekey it so the same key can be used with new lock.
Old 07-08-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driver Door Lock problem

Probably has a weak power lock actuator. If the key works smoothly and it works easily by hand, then the actuator is probably weak (bad).
You can use a voltmeter or test light to prove the electrical stuff still works in the door all the way up to the lock motor.

If you are worried about the door lock (key cylinder), the original can have fresh tumblers installed in it. Same amount of work but you save the cost of a new lock cylinder.
Most dealers have the tumbler kits for the sidewinder locks, but not everyone you speak with will know about it.

I love retumbling locks, doors and ignitions.
Old 07-09-2017
Registered!!

ezone, I may not have stated it clearly. The door opens and closes from inside using open/close switch. I do not have remote control. The problem I stated pertains when you are trying to get in the car from outside. When you want to insert the key to open a lock, it doesn't go in easily and have to try it several times before it inserts all the way after which you can open the lock.
Old 07-09-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Reading comprehension fail on my part LOL

I'd retumble the original lock cylinder. The tumblers do wear out and jam in the most oft used locks (ignition lock is a frequent victim), and even though the key may still work other locks ok it can still show wear.

You might call local locksmith shops and ask if they have tumblers for Hondas Sidewinder locks, that might give you more options than going to a dealership.
Old 07-09-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Reading comprehension fail on my part LOL

I'd retumble the original lock cylinder. The tumblers do wear out and jam in the most oft used locks (ignition lock is a frequent victim), and even though the key may still work other locks ok it can still show wear.

You might call local locksmith shops and ask if they have tumblers for Hondas Sidewinder locks, that might give you more options than going to a dealership.

The locksmith might be able to retumble but he won't be able to take it out. This area I'm not comfortable removing the lock and taking it to the locksmith.
I'm not sure if any of the local mechanic might be be working with locksmith, that way you take it to one place and they take care of it all.

The other option is to have one of the local mechanic swap the driver and passenger locks. Driver side is the most important and as long as it works for 4-5 yrs, by then the car will be ready to be sold. What do you say?
Old 07-09-2017

The locksmith might be able to retumble but he won't be able to take it out.
Did you call and ask? I'd expect most would have no problem doing this work.

My town has but one local lock shop....they do this sort of work on American cars, but they do not stock the tumblers for Hondas sidewinder locks. They send these locks and customers to me.
This area I'm not comfortable removing the lock and taking it to the locksmith.
There are plenty of sources online to guide you through pulling the door panel off and getting at the lock, if you want to try it.

local mechanic swap the driver and passenger locks
You're still looking at labor $ x2, plus when the lock fails in the future you (or the next owner) are kinda screwed (unless someone wants to crawl through the trunk.....unless you're stuck with a valet key which won't open the trunk).
Will it jam and fail before you dump the car? That's a gamble.

I think paying 10-20 to retumble the first removed lock is gonna be cheaper (and wiser) than paying labor to remove the lock from the opposite door.
I'm not sure if any of the local mechanic might be be working with locksmith, that way you take it to one place and they take care of it all.
Call and ask. Most will if they can figure out how, though I'm sure some some can't handle this and will justify trying to sell you a whole new lock which will mean extra keys on your key ring and it won't be any cheaper.

I work for a dealership, we handle most work so the car owner doesn't have to fuss with it....that means we often take stuff to other shops for work we do not do in house (called 'sublet') such as taking a cylinder head to a machine shop, calling a glass company to replace a windshield, or taking locks to a locksmith on car brands other than Honda.
Old 07-09-2017
Registered!!

ezone,

To retumble, do you need to buy new cylinder /actuator? I'm not sure how it is done.
Old 07-09-2017

I remove the lock cylinder assembly from the door
disassemble the lock cylinder
then replace all of the individual wafers (tumblers)
lubricate, reassemble and reinstall.

Same procedure for worn steering column locks (ignition switch lock)

I don't normally need to replace anything more than the individual tumblers, though it can be necessary if there is too much wear of the door lock slug.

Check out this PDF link, this may have enough info here to remove the lock cylinder yourself.

http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/files/tsb/a03-068.pdf

You could just remove the offending tumblers to make a lock work again, or remove all of the tumblers so any key or screwdriver could open the door.
Old 07-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Perhaps try a squirt of powdered graphite in the lock to see if it frees things up?
Old 07-19-2017
Registered!!

speedy25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lets make this easier.

As a guy who takes locks apart, the problem description matches a severe lack of lubrication.

Start with WD40. It has enough lubricating properties to get the key in and loosen up the tumblers. Most importantl, the WD drives out any moisture that may have caused corrosion in the first place. Put the key in and out until it slides in easily and the lock turns easy too. I follow that up with Lock Ease. Repeat every couple of years or as needed. Fall is a good time for repeat applications.

-SP