Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Gauge needle issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extra-medium is an unknown quantity at this point
Gauge needle issues

I removed my gauge cluster to replace all the bulbs since all but one were burnt out when I got the car. I took it all apart to clean the housing and removed the needles along with the gauge face since I was thinking about going with white face gauges. After everything was cleaned, I put the needles back on and re-assembled everything, but they all read different readings then what they should have. I had to set my cruise control to set my speedometer, I set my tach at idle, temp once it was up to running temp, and fuel with a full tank. I have noticed they all are working as they should except the speedo. It jumps 5-10 mph at times (not all the time) when accelerating and decelerating. Did I screw the gauges up by removing the needles and replacing them, or is it normal for them to jump around when it is all put back together?
Old 07-11-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gauge needle issues

or is it normal for them to jump around
Never. Movement should always be smooth.
Old 07-19-2017
Registered!!

speedy25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Most likely cause of your problem: you bent the needle shaft.

Its easy to do on most gauges if you arent really careful.

-SP
Old 07-19-2017
Registered!!

Extra-medium is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think I bent the shaft since it doesn't do it all the time. It does it every once in a while. Here is a video to show what it does.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>