Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Plastic flap in trunk latch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turd is an unknown quantity at this point
Plastic flap in trunk latch?

Oh turds, I think my trunk latch is broken (]05 Civic). There's an odd, bent plastic "flap" swiveling around the outboard side of the metal striker-grabber mechanism, but within the latch cover.

It is clearly tethered to the metal stud around which one-half of the mechanism pivots, therefore it is native equipment, but I'm not sure where it's supposed to be...does it sit out over top of the metal pieces, or do I need to jam it back up into the mechanism (rotate it clockwise)?

It can be rotated to the top of the mechanism, whereby it wedges against the latch housing, but fortunately does not inhibit movement of the metal plates into the "latch closed" position.

Conversely it can be rotated counterclockwise downward until it nearly pulls out of the housing completely.

Here it is in reference to the rest of the assembly components. You can see that it may be forcing the plate it sits on to an awkward angle.

From the obverse side, you can vaguely see the void into which it fits, between the pivoting metal clamp and the metal housing.

Clearly it's supposed to be attached in some way, but likely not supposed to have been chewed up into the present hammerhead configuration.

Where does this thing go? I did try pushing it all the way up past the metal plates and out of the way...and it prevented the latched mechanism from unlatching, even when operating the lever directly by hand. I had to carefully pry the plastic/rubber piece back into the present, weird, "on top of the plates, sticking out into the air" position in order to unlatch the mechanism.

First post, but lots of lurking over the years. This was the first thing I couldn't find addressed or diagrammed using search. Specifically - ezone is the man, we've never exchanged a word but he's the best mechanic I've ever had, so thanks for that.
Old 07-20-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Plastic flap in trunk latch?

If there's any question, I'd probably just replace it. The latch is pretty much riveted together and you can't do a whole lot else with it, right?
Grab a used latch from the you-pull-it yard?

Problems seem so rare with those it's like I can't even remember what they look like LOL

BTW thanks for the kind words. Hope I've helped on other projects, even if this one isn't all that great. It's late and I've had a long hot day.