Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

suspension stability

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EXL OWNER is an unknown quantity at this point
suspension stability

What performance modifications should I start with to give my 2008 EXL better high speed stability. I drive mostly freeway, the car seems loose in moderate crosswinds and freeway grooves.
I want to start with simple bolt-ons and not replacing springs and or struts as of yet. The car has only 45k miles btw.
Old 06-26-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: suspension stability

front upper strut bar isn't a bad place to start.
Old 06-26-2010
Registered!!

EXL OWNER is an unknown quantity at this point

Would upgrading the anti-sway bars also help in the crosswind problem?
Old 06-26-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Increasing your rear sway bar size would just increase oversteer/decrease understeer. Unless, of course, I'm mistaken and a suspension guru chimes in.

The strut bar would tighten up your steering just a bit. I took mine off when I put my coilovers on because it was a bitch to get on. When I took it for a test drive with the new suspension, I immediately turned around to put it back on.
Old 06-26-2010
Registered!!

si.hatch is an unknown quantity at this point

sway bars actually decrease body roll. would be a good place to start imo
Old 06-26-2010
Administrator
Administrator

/brain fart about body roll.. lol
Old 06-27-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

not sure how them would affect the reaction for cross winds, never really bothered with them. have been too long since i changed the springs and did not think about it.
Both comments about over/understeer and roll are correct.
sorry but am not a suspension guru but chimed in!
Old 06-27-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i think he just needs better tires. most suspension mods are just gonna make the car more sensitive to steering input.
Old 06-12-2011
Registered!!

RubyRed57 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
front upper strut bar isn't a bad place to start.
How do you clear all the hardware over top of the Driver's side strut mount on a Gen 8? The strut bar was the first mod I was going to do on my 2010 EX-L's suspension and I can't figure out how any of the bars can get clearance under all the crap mounted there.

I had planned on adding a strut bar first, then swaybars. Lowering springs are out because my car scrapes too much as it is in stock form -driveway issues.

Vince
Old 06-12-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the strut bar in the 8th gen does not seem to make much difference? they seem to be buried under the windshield frame, so not much gain to be achieved there? they seem to have a stiff enough frame in the mounting point. The ones i saw that ties to the front seems... dangerous from a potential frontal crash.
Old 06-18-2011
Registered!!

RubyRed57 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
the strut bar in the 8th gen does not seem to make much difference? they seem to be buried under the windshield frame, so not much gain to be achieved there? they seem to have a stiff enough frame in the mounting point. The ones i saw that ties to the front seems... dangerous from a potential frontal crash.
A closer examination under my hood confirms what you said; I had mistaken other bits under the hood for the top of the strut mounts. Looks like it's just swaybars and new tires for me.