Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Suspension Performance Modifications (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/201-suspension-performance-modifications)
-   -   suspension stability (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/201-suspension-performance-modifications/329752-suspension-stability.html)

EXL OWNER 06-26-2010 02:45 PM

suspension stability

What performance modifications should I start with to give my 2008 EXL better high speed stability. I drive mostly freeway, the car seems loose in moderate crosswinds and freeway grooves.
I want to start with simple bolt-ons and not replacing springs and or struts as of yet. The car has only 45k miles btw.

xRiCeBoYx 06-26-2010 03:05 PM

Re: suspension stability

front upper strut bar isn't a bad place to start.

EXL OWNER 06-26-2010 03:16 PM

Would upgrading the anti-sway bars also help in the crosswind problem?

xRiCeBoYx 06-26-2010 03:20 PM

Increasing your rear sway bar size would just increase oversteer/decrease understeer. Unless, of course, I'm mistaken and a suspension guru chimes in.

The strut bar would tighten up your steering just a bit. I took mine off when I put my coilovers on because it was a bitch to get on. When I took it for a test drive with the new suspension, I immediately turned around to put it back on.

si.hatch 06-26-2010 03:55 PM

sway bars actually decrease body roll. would be a good place to start imo

xRiCeBoYx 06-26-2010 04:24 PM

/brain fart about body roll.. lol

sdaidoji 06-27-2010 08:47 PM

not sure how them would affect the reaction for cross winds, never really bothered with them. have been too long since i changed the springs and did not think about it.
Both comments about over/understeer and roll are correct.
sorry but am not a suspension guru but chimed in! :)

gearbox 06-27-2010 11:26 PM

i think he just needs better tires. most suspension mods are just gonna make the car more sensitive to steering input.

RubyRed57 06-12-2011 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx (Post 4476024)
front upper strut bar isn't a bad place to start.

How do you clear all the hardware over top of the Driver's side strut mount on a Gen 8? The strut bar was the first mod I was going to do on my 2010 EX-L's suspension and I can't figure out how any of the bars can get clearance under all the crap mounted there.

I had planned on adding a strut bar first, then swaybars. Lowering springs are out because my car scrapes too much as it is in stock form -driveway issues.

Vince

sdaidoji 06-12-2011 11:26 AM

the strut bar in the 8th gen does not seem to make much difference? they seem to be buried under the windshield frame, so not much gain to be achieved there? they seem to have a stiff enough frame in the mounting point. The ones i saw that ties to the front seems... dangerous from a potential frontal crash.

RubyRed57 06-18-2011 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4543281)
the strut bar in the 8th gen does not seem to make much difference? they seem to be buried under the windshield frame, so not much gain to be achieved there? they seem to have a stiff enough frame in the mounting point. The ones i saw that ties to the front seems... dangerous from a potential frontal crash.

A closer examination under my hood confirms what you said; I had mistaken other bits under the hood for the top of the strut mounts. Looks like it's just swaybars and new tires for me.