Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

windshield wiper controller question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005
<---- I am really this short in person!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fullgrown is an unknown quantity at this point
windshield wiper controller question

i'm just wondering if it's possible to swap the windshield wiper controller to the one that's in an accord? cause civic only has 3 speed for it, but the one's in accords, it has more variation on speed.
Old 03-11-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
EX's have variable intermittent. Just find one of those. I bet its just a pot or variable timing circuit in the stick on the column that changes the voltage to the motor.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 03-11-2005 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-11-2005
Registered!!

SmiteSwift is an unknown quantity at this point
Or you could move you right index finger 1 inch and hit the wipers.

Sorry it's Friday and I get a little mouthy. I would love the intermittent wiper, that is the ONLY thing I wanted from the EX model (well, and the color matched side mirrors and washer nozzles).

Last edited by SmiteSwift; 03-11-2005 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2005
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by fullgrown
i'm just wondering if it's possible to swap the windshield wiper controller to the one that's in an accord? cause civic only has 3 speed for it, but the one's in accords, it has more variation on speed.
you friggen said it, the 3 step is total bullshit its always either too fast or not fast enough,

can anyone confrim a sucessful swap
Old 03-14-2005

bump
Old 03-18-2005
Registered!!

luciferi is an unknown quantity at this point
I have done it on the crv and element. Neither one had any model that came with variable intermittent wipers.

Wiring needs to be added. You can add the factory switch or pot. I have sold a plug and play kits for the crv. It can be installed in 5-10 minutes.
Old 03-19-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
I would like to change to an EX control with variable time setting control. I will try to locate wiring information.

I was able to do this mod to my 00 Corolla, Any wiper switch, no delay/fixed delay/variable delay would work in in any trim level.

All of the timing electronics as well as the relay was contained inside if the switch itself. And the wiring in the cars was all the same. I hope that is the case with the Hondas.
Old 03-25-2005

i'm going through the bookstores to look for the Hayne's book for the civic but it's kinda hard. if i get a chance to do this, i'll put up an DIY for this. or if someone else do it first, that'll be great also.
Old 03-25-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by fullgrown
i'm going through the bookstores to look for the Hayne's book for the civic but it's kinda hard. if i get a chance to do this, i'll put up an DIY for this. or if someone else do it first, that'll be great also.
Get the factory manual, only way to go!
Old 04-22-2005

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Update for those with LX models wanting to add variable intermittent option.

There are 2 wires on the plug to the wiper switch on the LX they are not used, this is where the control on the EX control would go. They are Green/White and Green/Orange.

If the wires are shorted there is a 2 second delay (control at minimum delay) and I got a 16 second delay with a 33k ohm resistor across the pair. I plan on getting a 50K variable control and adding it instead of getting the EX switch (cheaper you know?)

Will update with progress.
Old 04-22-2005
Registered!!

born2xLr8 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by CraigW
Please do! I've had this thread subscribed forever with no updates till now.
Old 04-22-2005

haha. same here as born. it sucks to keep on turning the windshield wiper on and off. and if it's with pictures... perfect!!!!
Old 04-23-2005
up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-b-a-start

R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
Update for those with LX models wanting to add variable intermittent option.

There are 2 wires on the plug to the wiper switch on the LX they are not used, this is where the control on the EX control would go. They are Green/White and Green/Orange.

If the wires are shorted there is a 2 second delay (control at minimum delay) and I got a 16 second delay with a 33k ohm resistor across the pair. I plan on getting a 50K variable control and adding it instead of getting the EX switch (cheaper you know?)

wow you lost me... but keep us upadated. And snap some pics if you can
Old 04-23-2005

I used a 50k ohm linear potentiometer, It works good but there are some limits. At the lowest setting 0 ohms there is a 2 second delay, It has the full range of delay up to about 15-16 seconds of delay. ( I assume the EX has a 2-15 second variation if anyone knows please post and let us know, the owners manual does not give times) The limit comes from the fact that if the control is at approx 3/4 to Max of range the system reverts back to the 5-6 second set delay. I did some research and the 15-16 second delay is reached at about 34 k I thought about trying to locate a 25k ohm control except the delay is only 12 seconds at 25k ohms.

This mod works, I would have to say anyone who wants to get an EX wiper switch it would be 100% plug and play, (around $60 shipped) I plan on continuing to use mine as is until I can locate a suitable replacement potentiometer. (damn standard values)

I know some people are confused if you have any questions let me know and I will try to answer, Just bear the above in mind if you used the 50k Potentiometer.

This will only (as far as I know) work with the fixed delay systems (LX) the 2 wires for the control are side by side in the plug going into the wiper switch and are green wire/white stripe & green wire/orange stripe.

Be careful with the covers or you will break the latches, push in on sides of lower cover to release from top cover. BE CAREFUL !!
Old 06-14-2005

Attention EX owners !! Would someone please post up the delay time for the longest delay setting ?? Thanks !
Old 06-14-2005
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
i stepped outside to my car just for you guys. the longest delay setting is about 8 seconds. i didnt have a stopwatch or anything so it was about 8 mississippis.
Old 06-15-2005
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
8 mississippis...oh that caught me in a funny place
Old 08-09-2005
Registered!!

grahamfw is an unknown quantity at this point
This mod works, I would have to say anyone who wants to get an EX wiper switch it would be 100% plug and play, (around $60 shipped) I plan on continuing to use mine as is until I can locate a suitable replacement potentiometer. (damn standard values)
Does anyone know where to find the EX wiper controller/switch/whatever it's called online? Or perhaps the stock or part no.? I can't find this online for the life of me! I'm trying to upgrade my '05 LX coupe.

First post, btw, this forum looks like an absolute wealth of information.
Old 08-09-2005

www.cheapesthondaparts.com is a good dealer to get items from. Majestic honda is another option. Be sure to check shipping cost. The control is around $50 from what I saw, sorry no part #