Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   windshield wiper controller question (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/201791-windshield-wiper-controller-question.html)

fullgrown 03-11-2005 09:41 AM

windshield wiper controller question

i'm just wondering if it's possible to swap the windshield wiper controller to the one that's in an accord? cause civic only has 3 speed for it, but the one's in accords, it has more variation on speed.

Boilermaker1 03-11-2005 09:43 AM

EX's have variable intermittent. Just find one of those. I bet its just a pot or variable timing circuit in the stick on the column that changes the voltage to the motor.

SmiteSwift 03-11-2005 12:45 PM

Or you could move you right index finger 1 inch and hit the wipers.

Sorry it's Friday and I get a little mouthy. I would love the intermittent wiper, that is the ONLY thing I wanted from the EX model (well, and the color matched side mirrors and washer nozzles).

AggressiveAdam 03-12-2005 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by fullgrown
i'm just wondering if it's possible to swap the windshield wiper controller to the one that's in an accord? cause civic only has 3 speed for it, but the one's in accords, it has more variation on speed.

you friggen said it, the 3 step is total bullshit its always either too fast or not fast enough,

can anyone confrim a sucessful swap

fullgrown 03-14-2005 10:42 PM

bump

luciferi 03-18-2005 12:27 AM

I have done it on the crv and element. Neither one had any model that came with variable intermittent wipers.

Wiring needs to be added. You can add the factory switch or pot. I have sold a plug and play kits for the crv. It can be installed in 5-10 minutes.

CraigW 03-19-2005 10:06 AM

I would like to change to an EX control with variable time setting control. I will try to locate wiring information.

I was able to do this mod to my 00 Corolla, Any wiper switch, no delay/fixed delay/variable delay would work in in any trim level.

All of the timing electronics as well as the relay was contained inside if the switch itself. And the wiring in the cars was all the same. I hope that is the case with the Hondas.

fullgrown 03-25-2005 04:07 PM

i'm going through the bookstores to look for the Hayne's book for the civic but it's kinda hard. if i get a chance to do this, i'll put up an DIY for this. or if someone else do it first, that'll be great also.

pon55 03-25-2005 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by fullgrown
i'm going through the bookstores to look for the Hayne's book for the civic but it's kinda hard. if i get a chance to do this, i'll put up an DIY for this. or if someone else do it first, that'll be great also.

Get the factory manual, only way to go!

CraigW 04-22-2005 06:37 PM

Update for those with LX models wanting to add variable intermittent option.

There are 2 wires on the plug to the wiper switch on the LX they are not used, this is where the control on the EX control would go. They are Green/White and Green/Orange.

If the wires are shorted there is a 2 second delay (control at minimum delay) and I got a 16 second delay with a 33k ohm resistor across the pair. I plan on getting a 50K variable control and adding it instead of getting the EX switch (cheaper you know?)

Will update with progress.

born2xLr8 04-22-2005 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by CraigW

Please do! I've had this thread subscribed forever with no updates till now.

fullgrown 04-22-2005 10:52 PM

haha. same here as born. it sucks to keep on turning the windshield wiper on and off. and if it's with pictures... perfect!!!!

R1Style 04-23-2005 10:32 AM

Update for those with LX models wanting to add variable intermittent option.

There are 2 wires on the plug to the wiper switch on the LX they are not used, this is where the control on the EX control would go. They are Green/White and Green/Orange.

If the wires are shorted there is a 2 second delay (control at minimum delay) and I got a 16 second delay with a 33k ohm resistor across the pair. I plan on getting a 50K variable control and adding it instead of getting the EX switch (cheaper you know?)

wow you lost me... but keep us upadated. And snap some pics if you can

CraigW 04-23-2005 06:11 PM

I used a 50k ohm linear potentiometer, It works good but there are some limits. At the lowest setting 0 ohms there is a 2 second delay, It has the full range of delay up to about 15-16 seconds of delay. ( I assume the EX has a 2-15 second variation if anyone knows please post and let us know, the owners manual does not give times) The limit comes from the fact that if the control is at approx 3/4 to Max of range the system reverts back to the 5-6 second set delay. I did some research and the 15-16 second delay is reached at about 34 k I thought about trying to locate a 25k ohm control except the delay is only 12 seconds at 25k ohms.

This mod works, I would have to say anyone who wants to get an EX wiper switch it would be 100% plug and play, (around $60 shipped) I plan on continuing to use mine as is until I can locate a suitable replacement potentiometer. (damn standard values)

I know some people are confused if you have any questions let me know and I will try to answer, Just bear the above in mind if you used the 50k Potentiometer.

This will only (as far as I know) work with the fixed delay systems (LX) the 2 wires for the control are side by side in the plug going into the wiper switch and are green wire/white stripe & green wire/orange stripe.

Be careful with the covers or you will break the latches, push in on sides of lower cover to release from top cover. BE CAREFUL !!

CraigW 06-14-2005 07:01 PM

Attention EX owners !! Would someone please post up the delay time for the longest delay setting ?? Thanks !

Rennen 06-14-2005 07:11 PM

i stepped outside to my car just for you guys. the longest delay setting is about 8 seconds. i didnt have a stopwatch or anything so it was about 8 mississippis. :rofl:

bobsagator 06-15-2005 04:40 PM

8 mississippis...oh that caught me in a funny place

grahamfw 08-09-2005 11:06 AM

This mod works, I would have to say anyone who wants to get an EX wiper switch it would be 100% plug and play, (around $60 shipped) I plan on continuing to use mine as is until I can locate a suitable replacement potentiometer. (damn standard values)

Does anyone know where to find the EX wiper controller/switch/whatever it's called online? Or perhaps the stock or part no.? I can't find this online for the life of me! I'm trying to upgrade my '05 LX coupe.

First post, btw, this forum looks like an absolute wealth of information.

CraigW 08-09-2005 11:39 AM

www.cheapesthondaparts.com is a good dealer to get items from. Majestic honda is another option. Be sure to check shipping cost. The control is around $50 from what I saw, sorry no part #