Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96cobra is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help

My sons was pulling in to a parking spot and car made weird hissing sound then died out
he start it back up and engine was running like it had a miss he rev it slightly made that hissing sound and died again and it sounds like it has a bad rod knock
we towed it home i told him to take off serpentine belt and car started right up no rod knocking no miss no wierd hissing he drove it up and down our block and everything seem normal
Any suggestions which one I should look at first power steering water pump air conditioning or any other pulley that might be down there or tensioner
Old 05-20-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96cobra is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Need help

Sorry 2010 civic
Old 05-20-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Pully might have locked up. Start checking them all for play and bearing failure. Anyone could have gone bad.
Old 05-20-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

i told him to take off serpentine belt and

he drove it up and down our block and everything seem normal
That belt also turns the water pump. Without the water pump doing its job, you can smoke an engine in a hurry.
Don't let the kid run the engine any more without the belt....and hope it didn't do any damage already

Your kid needs to reach in and spin each pulley to see which is locked up.

I'd expect the compressor pulley locked up.

If the Civic is an SI (K20 engine) then I'd suspect the uppermost idler pulley and/or the tensioner pulley as well