Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

car shaking like mad? need help *UPDATE need even more help!

Old 05-05-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ricergribbs is an unknown quantity at this point
car shaking like mad? need help *UPDATE need even more help!

i posted a while back about this, but i thought it was fixed. pretty much what happened was that sometimes when i came to a stop at a stop sign or what not, my car would begin to shake violently. the rpms would drop and when i stepped on the gas nothing would happen. i would floor it nothing, let up nothing, floor it agian, nothing. then eventually after like 10 or so seconds of this everything went back to normal and car drove fine. well what i was wondering was wtf this was? anyone have any ideas? main reason im asking is that i took the car to the dealership for this and they said it was the o2 sensor, im like BS but well lets see what happens, so they replace that all under warranty and stuff and i take the car back. and it drives fine for like 2 weeks, and now it did it again this morning, except this time it was even worse. this time it was shaking way more, and it didnt go back to normal for almost 20 seconds. any ideas? my friend had this happen in his old ford taurus and he said it was the transmission going bad. oh just so you know, i have an 01 LX automatic.

update:
ok so i called honda today and they said that they cant "duplicate" the problem. i told them the exact details of what happens so i dont know how the h*ll that would help them. plus i told them that it happens once in a while and i cant really predict when. plus since they didnt find a problem with the car they prolly will make me pay the inspection fee, although it is still covered by warranty so would i have to pay that? anyone got any ideas? frankly, i found out these guys are 't*rds and can only fix what the CEL tells them to fix. if CEL isnt on, they think the car is fine.

Last edited by ricergribbs; 05-06-2004 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2004
Registered!!

HELP!!! comeon doesnt anyone have any suggestions? oh and they said i could leave the car there till tomorrow so theyll try to duplicate it again. the way i understand it, they got a guy out there just driving my car around...
Old 05-06-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like something wrong with the idle control or ECU. There was a good post in vehicle problems forum a while back. See what the fix was for that. Idle drop or rpm something. It was for the 01 civics. Or find the tps report and take it to the dealer so they fix it.
Old 05-06-2004
Registered!!

heh, my dealer is stupid. i talked to a mechanic i know whos damn good and he said its a misfire in one of the pistons. best thing to do he says is to ride it out till check engine light comes on cause it could be one of a thousand things. but ill check that thread out maybe itll help.
Old 05-08-2004
Registered!!

civichxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point
your check engine light wont come on and if it does it will only stay on breifly believe me i had the same prob with my out of warranty 2001 civic so after another engine it ends being an ecu. If it were your misfiring plugs it would do it all the time...it has something to do with the ecu sending the proper signals to the engine telling it when and where to fire... Lemme guess does it ever start up hard? Mine did that and my dealership told me the head was blown and i had no compression so they ended up buying my new engine and ecu cause they are morons and misdiagnosed
Old 05-09-2004
Registered!!

TeSt DrIvE is an unknown quantity at this point
This may be an extremely stupid suggestion, but ill give it a shot. A while back when i had my old civic and auto, I went through mcd's drive through and apparently dropped some coke into the gear assembly, (cup holder was right near the shifter) I had the exact same problems as you, and let it run its course and asked the honda mechanics to do anything that might be able to help, eventually after a service it went away, maybe ask the mechanic to check around the area of the shifter?