Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

Need Help with Probation Issue? Got Screwed!!! "UPDATED NEED HELP"

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Arrow Need Help with Probation Issue? Got Screwed!!! "UPDATED NEED HELP"

Well last friday I was given probation for 9 months for class-A Assualt. Now it was changed to a class-C assualt. Now basically all I have to do is pay the court cost of $238, visit the probation office once a month, and do domestic violence counseling. The fines and community service were waived because I asked for them to be because I was starting school and didnt have any money. Now here is my problem.

Today when I went to see my probation officer, he gave me the sheet for the domestic violence classes and the place I need to go. Now at the bottom it said that they werent going to pay for it. So when I left and called the place, the lady told me that there are 36 sessions I have to attend to complete the program, and the cost is $1800. now WTF. $1800!!! No one ever told me I had to pay $1800 for classes. So I called my lawyer and he said I have to work out a payment plan with them, but that comes to $300 a month of which I dont have. And the lady said If I didnt have money, I needed to talk with the probation dept. and ask them to help pay for it. Well when I asked them, they said they no longer pay for the classes.

Well my question is, should I go back to court and complain about this because I was never told that I had to pay for it. Especially $1800. Or am I able to go back to court to complain about it? What can I do about this because first off I dont have $1800 and second I am not paying $1800 for this crap. I dont have a job and my money is going towards school that I am starting in Sept.

Last edited by streetglower; 08-10-2004 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-05-2004
Ultimate Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
teampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant future
don't get put on probation maybe...??? dunno what to tell you man
Old 08-05-2004
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Well I think there should be something I can do. I mean they never told me I had to pay for it, especially $1800, that is just plain rediculious.
Old 08-05-2004

alienmeatsack has a spectacular aura aboutalienmeatsack has a spectacular aura about
If you did whatever you did to get this punishment than maybe you should take it like a man and be happy you arent in prison.
Old 08-05-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by alienmeatsack
If you did whatever you did to get this punishment than maybe you should take it like a man and be happy you arent in prison.
Ok, you would be pissed to if you were given 9 months probation and told all you had to pay was a $238 fine, and then come to find out you have to pay $1800 for some bullshit DV counseling. $1800 is way too much. Do they think I am made of fuking money. Besides I am a man, but this was a bullshit charge in the first place, even the cop that I talked to the night it happened said he didnt think I did anything, that is why I never got arrested. Even in court, the jury thought I was innocent except for a few of them. So dont give me that bullshit about being a man, and be happy I am not in prison, you dont go to prison for a class A misdemenor assault. And I am pissed cause I wasnt told that I have to pay $1800 for a class, that is rediculious. Anybody who gets that would agree with me.
Old 08-06-2004
Registered!!

Taryon has a spectacular aura aboutTaryon has a spectacular aura about
If you don't mind telling, what exactly happened? (and I feel for you bro.. dunno what else to say)
Old 08-06-2004
Registered!!

Skellz is an unknown quantity at this point
Squash that man - You got off easy. My friend got the same thing but he had to spend 14 days in jail 500+ community service plus had to give money to the kid that he scared. 1800 aint sit - I know next time you will think about it before you decide to hurt your hand.
Old 08-06-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Tareon
If you don't mind telling, what exactly happened? (and I feel for you bro.. dunno what else to say)
Basically my girlfriend and I got into a argument and she pushed me and I pushed her back and grabbed her wrists so she would quit kicking and whining. I never actaully hit her, but she complained to her dad that I did and apparentlt the DA made a case about it.

Originally Posted by Skellz
Squash that man - You got off easy. My friend got the same thing but he had to spend 14 days in jail 500+ community service plus had to give money to the kid that he scared. 1800 aint sit - I know next time you will think about it before you decide to hurt your hand.
*** that. Yea I got off easy with the probation part, but no one ever said I would have to pay $1800 for some Bullshit program. They might of well just put me in jail for 2 weeks or so. no one will ever expect themselve to pay $1800. that is way over the limit. $1800 aint ****, that is alot of money of which I was never told I would have to pay. If I would have known that, I wouldnt have tooken the deal. and you know what, I guarentee you, your *** wouldnt do it either if you were told that. And I never hurt my hand, why do you think this **** went on for 2 yrs, and was set for about 3 different trial dates, cause I know I didnt do anything, and the cops knew that too when they didnt arrest me that night. And yes, $1800 is ****. That is way too much money for someone to be expected to pay, besides, I have no job, and am about to start 72 weeks of training which is going to cost me $25,600, so there is no way I can come up with that, and I am not either.
Old 08-06-2004
Registered!!

RipCurl is an unknown quantity at this point
Look. just pay it. Your kind are always looking for the easy way out. You got into trouble.. you got punished. Do you think its faire that hte public pay for your misdeeds? Too ****ing bad.

You should have thought twice before causing harm to your girlfriend.
Idiot.

So freaking what you have training to go through.
You did the crime, you pay for it.
You got blamed, so if you can't afford it, too bad.

You got off easy. If I was the the court, i would have confiscated your possession and thrown your *** in jail.

Put your freaking training on hold. You knew you had it comeing up, you should have kept your nose clean.

Last edited by RipCurl; 08-06-2004 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RipCurl
Look. just pay it. Your kind are always looking for the easy way out. You got into trouble.. you got punished. Do you think its faire that hte public pay for your misdeeds? Too ****ing bad.

Work a night job. Collect aluminum cans. Walkd your neighbors dogs, mow the damn lawn.

Pay for it yourself.
You know what, I dont have to pay it anymore. I bitched at the probation dept. and they said they are going to pay it. SO for all of you who say just pay it, you are the losers who would just do anything you are told, as for me, if something isnt right, I will bitch about it. And in this case, my bitching paid off. So I say to you who just say pay it, and thanks for the help you offered, it was alot of I would like to see you pay out $1800 for something stupid.
Old 08-06-2004
Registered!!

You should have thought twice before causing harm to your girlfriend.
Idiot.
Look ****er, you dont even know the situation. So shut the **** up. There was no harm done to the bitch, why do you think I was never arrested that night, because the cop knew nothing happened. In court, he even testified that he thought really nothing happened. All he did was filed a report. So before you start assuming what happened, then keep your mouth shut. And yes I did get off easy, because the DA knew that they didnt have much of a case. The only reason I took this deal was because this **** has been going on for 2 yrs. and I want it over with. It has been to trial and it was a mistrial, but this bitches dad hates me more than anything and wants something done, when nothing ever happened. Like I said, no one ever told me about paying $1800 for some bullshit class. Even a girl that worked at the probation dept. said that alot of people complain about that kind of ****, who expects to pay $1800. I would have rather took jail. And this wasnt a felony FYI, I am not a harsh criminal as you see me. So once again, before you jump to conclusions, listen to what was said.
Old 08-07-2004

alienmeatsack has a spectacular aura aboutalienmeatsack has a spectacular aura about
My tax dollars hard at work.

Thanks man. I enjoy working my *** off to pay taxes so people like you can beat on their supposed loved ones and then protest because they got the shaft.

I am done with this thread.
Old 08-07-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by alienmeatsack
My tax dollars hard at work.

Thanks man. I enjoy working my *** off to pay taxes so people like you can beat on their supposed loved ones and then protest because they got the shaft.

I am done with this thread.
then dont come back then. And for your information, I didnt beat on anyone so **** you and dont come back to this thread bitch.
Old 08-07-2004
Registered!!

04CivicFPB is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion....but seems a lot of people are saying "thats what you get for beating your girl" kinda posts. I read that he pretty much grabbed her to keep her from kicking him and ****....I have been in that situation and I'm sure others have too. I'm glad you don't have to pay that ****, and I would stay away from that girl cause it sounds like her dad is out to get ya..
Old 08-07-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 04CivicFPB
I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion....but seems a lot of people are saying "thats what you get for beating your girl" kinda posts. I read that he pretty much grabbed her to keep her from kicking him and ****....I have been in that situation and I'm sure others have too. I'm glad you don't have to pay that ****, and I would stay away from that girl cause it sounds like her dad is out to get ya..
Thank you, her dad is out to get me. With the probation ****, I am glad I dont have to pay for that, it is something that I shouldnt have to pay for in the beginning.
Old 08-07-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
you need to get your attorney and have him call the police dept. and let him talk to the probation officer and tell them that you cant afford that. if you just talk to them they will screw you over. its always good to have an attorney contact them

Injen
Old 08-07-2004
Registered!!

Well its all good, the probation office said they are going to pay for it. I bitched at there supervisor on friday and they decided they will pay for it.
Old 08-10-2004
Registered!!

Ok now I am pissed. My PO called me this morning and said that now they will pay for the class, but I have to do 150 hours of community service. That is bullshit. My probation papers say nothing about doing community service and they are giving me this option. I tyold the PO that I dont have the money, nor the time to do that, And that they should already just pay for it. I am about to start school and have to get a job to pay for school. What should I do here? I have tried contacting my lawyer, but he wont contact me back. I am lost on what to do? And please dont give me that **** about since I did the crime, I should pay the fine, no matter what the cost. I am asking for advice on what to do.

Originally Posted by injencivic
you need to get your attorney and have him call the police dept. and let him talk to the probation officer and tell them that you cant afford that. if you just talk to them they will screw you over. its always good to have an attorney contact them

Injen
I have tried, but he wont call back. He is pretty much useless now since I got probation.

I just feel like this is all bullshit because if I wouldnt have been told in court I had to pay for this, I wouldnt have tooken probation. I would have gone back to trial. I just feel it is there fault for not telling me. And who the *** has $1800 to spend on **** like this?
Old 08-10-2004
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Do your parents have money? If so, just have them call a good lawyer, and have them put a call in to probation dept and have everything straightened out on the phone. It shouldn't be much money, but if your parents support you in whats going on, it shouldnt be a prob. My dad hates cops, he would support me if that happened, sorry to hear about this. Girls exxagerate about things, and men have to deal with it because men are always in the wrong in these cases regardless. My dad has also been in court for 2 years on BS charges, and he is tired of it, but he wont confess to anything. They have already charged his *** about 600,000 dollars. I know how probation is, it sucks, sorry to hear it, good luck with everything
Old 08-10-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 2K1Civic17"Gabe
Do your parents have money? If so, just have them call a good lawyer, and have them put a call in to probation dept and have everything straightened out on the phone. It shouldn't be much money, but if your parents support you in whats going on, it shouldnt be a prob. My dad hates cops, he would support me if that happened, sorry to hear about this. Girls exxagerate about things, and men have to deal with it because men are always in the wrong in these cases regardless. My dad has also been in court for 2 years on BS charges, and he is tired of it, but he wont confess to anything. They have already charged his *** about 600,000 dollars. I know how probation is, it sucks, sorry to hear it, good luck with everything
Finally someone who feels the same way I do. Well my parents arent going to give me money because they are broke just like me. I just got off the phone with my lawyer and he said the best thing would be, is to ask the PO for different places to go to and go to each of those places and ask how I can do the classes. And tell them I have no money and see how to work this out. I still cant pay. And if I have no luck with that, then to go back to him and he will go to the DA and talk to them. I am going to do that and see what I come up with. No matter what, I refuse to pay for this ****.
Old 08-10-2004
Registered!!

Taryon has a spectacular aura aboutTaryon has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by streetglower
Finally someone who feels the same way I do. Well my parents arent going to give me money because they are broke just like me. I just got off the phone with my lawyer and he said the best thing would be, is to ask the PO for different places to go to and go to each of those places and ask how I can do the classes. And tell them I have no money and see how to work this out. I still cant pay. And if I have no luck with that, then to go back to him and he will go to the DA and talk to them. I am going to do that and see what I come up with. No matter what, I refuse to pay for this ****.
I really hope it works out in the end for you man. I'd be lost at what to do for sure, so you're most definately handling it well. Good luck, and all the best man.
Old 08-10-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Tareon
I really hope it works out in the end for you man. I'd be lost at what to do for sure, so you're most definately handling it well. Good luck, and all the best man.
Well I am handling it well, but I am so pissed. My lawyer said he told me in court that I would have to pay, but I dont ever remember that, and $1800 seems like a lot. I will talk to my PO next time I go see him on the 20th.
Old 08-11-2004
Registered!!

jloos will become famous soon enoughjloos will become famous soon enough
[QUOTE]
Look ****er, you dont even know the situation. So shut the **** up. There was no harm done to the bitch, why do you think I was never arrested that night, because the cop knew nothing happened. In court, he even testified that he thought really nothing happened. All he did was filed a report. So before you start assuming what happened, then keep your mouth shut. And yes I did get off easy, because the DA knew that they didnt have much of a case. The only reason I took this deal was because this **** has been going on for 2 yrs. and I want it over with. It has been to trial and it was a mistrial, but this bitches dad hates me more than anything and wants something done, when nothing ever happened.
You sound like a real ladies man. Fact is you plead guilty to domestic assault - which carries with it more punishment than simple assault. You can never own a gun, and in most states if you're ever arrested for dom assault again your *** is going to be in jail. I had a client last year that had a similar BS charge - in his case it was truly BS - the girl was a complete psycho. He ended up getting pardoned by the Gov. He plead guilty just to get it over with before the Federal law about guns came into affect; unfortunately for him the law was retroactive.

My point - I believe there are BS dom assault charges - usually it is both peoples fault. However for you to go all the way to trial leads me to believe there is more to your story - no DA I ever met would bother going to trial on the facts you presented. Plus your statement "the bitch wasn't hurt" leads me to believe you have no respect for women. There are many BS assault CHARGES, but very few turn into convictions. You were not acquited which means at least some (probably 2/3) thought you were guilty. I say if you can't afford the class they suggested find your own - there should be more than one. Pay for it and be done with it. Although you are now branded a women abuser and will have that stigma the rest of your life.
Old 08-11-2004
Registered!!

[QUOTE=jloos]

You sound like a real ladies man. Fact is you plead guilty to domestic assault - which carries with it more punishment than simple assault. You can never own a gun, and in most states if you're ever arrested for dom assault again your *** is going to be in jail. I had a client last year that had a similar BS charge - in his case it was truly BS - the girl was a complete psycho. He ended up getting pardoned by the Gov. He plead guilty just to get it over with before the Federal law about guns came into affect; unfortunately for him the law was retroactive.

My point - I believe there are BS dom assault charges - usually it is both peoples fault. However for you to go all the way to trial leads me to believe there is more to your story - no DA I ever met would bother going to trial on the facts you presented. Plus your statement "the bitch wasn't hurt" leads me to believe you have no respect for women. There are many BS assault CHARGES, but very few turn into convictions. You were not acquited which means at least some (probably 2/3) thought you were guilty. I say if you can't afford the class they suggested find your own - there should be more than one. Pay for it and be done with it. Although you are now branded a women abuser and will have that stigma the rest of your life.
Damn your an idiot. I wasnt charged with domestic assault, I was charged with assault. I didnt pleade guilty to assualt. I plead no contest cause I wasnt guilty. cause I got sick of going to court.

I can never own a gun? BULLSHIT, that is if you get was convicted of a felony, when you get arrested for a misdemenor, you can still own a gun. I can go get a gun once I get off probation if I wanted. And even if I was convicted of assault, I can still own a gun.

Now this was brought down to a class C assault, and if I do it again, I will go to jail at first, but when I go to court, they cant give me jail time because it is a class c misemenor. The most they can give me is a $5000 fine. or some more probation.

Well as for the DA, DA's everyday go to trial on cases that they dont have much evidence on. I went to trial for one reason though, because I was not guilty. And yes DA's go to trial with bullshit facts. Thecop in this case, even testified that he never arrested me that night because he didnt see anything really happened. He never took pictures because he said there was nothing to take a picture of. She didnt have any bruising, just some redness that could be caused by anything. And he thought it was caused by something else, because he got to the scene almost an hour after it happened. The reason they wanted to keep going with this is because this girls dad is a ****, he thinks his daughter is the perfect angel, and she isnt. So many times he has stood up for his daughter, when she needs a good *** beating. She even got sent away because eventually he knew how psyco she was.

And the jury came back undecided was because in court she played herself like some sweet innocent girl who was beaten. She played the whole drama role and everything, and I guess some of the jury bought that ****. While the other parts of the jury didnt. My lawyer even talked to the jury afterwards and he told me that the ones who voted not guilty said that during the cource of the trial, she changed stories of what happened. She gave 2 different statements to the same police officer, in 2 different interviews. And after they listen to all the states witnesses they realized that nothing much happened, and she was just whining.

Now didnt I say before I didnt ask for people to come on here and give me **** about this? and look what you did, give me **** about this. So next time open your fuking eyes and read. And I am not a women abuser, so dont fuking sit here and say I am. And I am bitching about this because I should have been told about this in court. If I was told I would have to pay this much, I wouldnt have tooken probation then. That plays a big factor in someones decision. It is there responsibility to let me know I would have to pay for this and give me a general area of how much. And they failed to do that. That is why I am bitching. And I will say it once again, $1800 isd a lot of money. That is a down payment on a car. It isnt $50. It is almost $2000. I am not paying $1800 for classes I see I honestly dont need, and I am not paying $1800 just to satisfy my probation. Yea I have the option of not doing it, and I have the option of complaining about it and I am and will. I am not someone who justs sucks it up and does whatever I am told. If I have a problem with something, I will tell you. And in this case, I am telling the probation dept. and the court I have a problem with this.

So when you have some better advice, then let me know. I am tired of hearing that I am a women beater, and I deserve this. I asked for some advice, put yourself in my situation and pretend you were innocent. Now what would you do if you were told you had to fork up $1800 when you are about to start a expensive school and you have to get a job to pay for most of it monthly, you have a car payment, insurance, living expenses. No $1800 does not fit in there, nor will it ever fit in there. The court knew I was starting school and knew I didnt have any money, that is why they waived my probation fees and fine. Cause the judge knew I wouldnt have any money.
Old 08-11-2004
Registered!!

Flounder is an unknown quantity at this point
I can never own a gun? BULLSHIT, that is if you get was convicted of a felony, when you get arrested for a misdemenor, you can still own a gun. I can go get a gun once I get off probation if I wanted. And even if I was convicted of assault, I can still own a gun.
I think the gun thing came from thinking you'd been convicted of domestic assault. Domestic assault does prevent someone from owning a firearm regardless of felony or misdemeanor. If it's straight assault as a misdemeanor, you should be able to own a gun once you're off paper.

-Flounder (Former Corrections Worker)
Old 08-11-2004
Registered!!

jloos will become famous soon enoughjloos will become famous soon enough
Thanks for letting me know what an idiot I am

You were arrested for beating up your girlfriend, then plead no contest to the charge. Sorry but no contest is the same thing as guilty as far as the law is concerned. Flounder is correct. You may want to check and see what it was you plead out.

I worked in law enforcement for 4 years while going to school part time getting my masters in psych and starting law school. I quit to go to law school full time and finish my degree. Yes I do know what I'm talking about.

when she needs a good *** beating
There was no harm done to the bitch
You don't have to hurt the person for it to be assault. I think your a dumbass for even getting in a situation like that then whining about the punishment.

I assume you are in TX
§ 22.01. Assault

(a) A person commits an offense if the person:

(1) intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes bodily injury to another, including the person's spouse;

(2) intentionally or knowingly threatens another with imminent bodily injury, including the person's spouse; or

(3) intentionally or knowingly causes physical contact with another when the person knows or should reasonably believe that the other will regard the contact as offensive or provocative.

2 and 3 are Class C misdemeanors in most instances - I'm not sure how TX determines what is "domestic" some states have specific charges for it, but others use it for any assault committed against a "family member" or "of the same household" .

Sounds like you are a very angry person and could benefit from the class - I'm not being a smartass.
Old 08-11-2004
Registered!!

RipCurl is an unknown quantity at this point
Speaking from a woman's point of view. You do the crime, do the time. Asswipe.

Again, you're an ***. If you have to do community service TFB. boo hoo, cry me a fcking river.

The courts are too fcking lenient with dicks like you.
Old 08-11-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jloos
Thanks for letting me know what an idiot I am

You were arrested for beating up your girlfriend, then plead no contest to the charge.
Look dude, I never ****ing beat up my girlfriend, who the *** said I beat up my girfriend, nobody did, so dont fuking say **** that didnt happen. You dont know the situation, so dont fuking sit her and say you do.

Speaking from a woman's point of view. You do the crime, do the time. Asswipe.

Again, you're an ***. If you have to do community service TFB. boo hoo, cry me a fcking river.

The courts are too fcking lenient with dicks like you.
Now for you, I didnt ask for people to come on here and shoot me down did I. I said it before and I guess I will say it again since you obviously have a hard time reading. I DIDNT ASK TO BE PUT DOWN OR TOLD TO STOP WHINING, I ASKED FOR ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO. I am not whining about this, and I will tell you why since you did not pay attention. And this goes for anyone else who has a hard time reading.

I am complaining about paying $1800 because I was never EVER told that I would have to pay anything for DV classes. And that is a rediculious price. $40-50 I can understand, not $1800. If I was told I would have to pay the amount by the court, I wouldnt have tooken probation. That is a major factor in determining whether I take it or not. It is the courts responsibility to tell me of that before I leave the court room. No where on my paper work does it say I must pay for DV classes. It says I must participate in and complete DV classes. If it said I had to pay for it on there, then I wouldnt have started this thread to begin with. I started it because like my parents say and all my friends say, I am being fuked over by the criminal system. Do any of you realize how much $1800 is. That is alot of money. Now my lawyer made it really clear to the DA and the judge that I was about to start school, and I had no money and I already have alot of bills to pay. And I cant even pay those. And the DA agreed to waive my fine and probation costs. So now that $1800 is what I have to pay for some class, they might have well just gave me a $2000 fine and no classes. They might have well just put me in jail for a month, I would rather have done that then pay $1800 for this. I am complaining about this because I have a damn well good reason to.

Now for you ripcurl, dont tell me I am whining about doing community service because I dont HAVE ANY TO DO. I WAS NEVER GIVEN ANY COMMUNITY SERVICE. you need to wake up and read, or go back to school and learn how to read. I was told that if the probation dept. was going to pay for it, then I would have to do 150 hours. Even my lawyer says that, that is bullshit. My probation has no community service on it, that is why I took this deal.

And no the courts arent to lenient, they are a joke when it comes to **** like this. And let me tell you all. A girl at the probation dept. who works there told me that they are supposed to pay for the classes. And that they are supposed to explain that to me in court. And that I have a right to bitch about the cost. Another women said that everyone who has been in the same position has complained about the cost. I am not the only one. SO if you want to pay the $1800 for me to take the class, then I accept paypal, if not, *** YOU. dont tell me me I am an *** because I complain about ****. so go *** off bitch.