Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

"Oil Control Orifice" in service manual conflicts with Honda parts catalog.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tim1959 is an unknown quantity at this point
"Oil Control Orifice" in service manual conflicts with Honda parts catalog.

Fellow Civic Enthusiasts,
I am now frustrated & perplexed. It appears that somebody at Honda screwed up.
I am replacing the head gasket on a 1999 Honda Civic LX (D16Y7).
Page 6-44 of the 1996 to 2000 Honda Civic Service Manual instructs to replace an O-ring that is NOT available in the Honda parts catalog.
The manual shows this O-ring going in just before the "Oil Control Orifice" into the top of the cylinder head, near the camshaft, between the head & a rocker pedestal.
The Honda part # is 15140-P2A-000.
This part is described in the parts catalog as "Oil passage orifice assembly".
This part (15140-P2A-000) is shown in the catalog WITH the O-ring ('97 and earlier models) and WITHOUT the O-ring ('98 and later models).
HOW can ONE PART number include and NOT include a required 0-ring?
Does anyone know the answer, or should I call Honda?
TIA...
Tim
Update: This problem has been resolved. The problem was caused by Honda withholding information. The design of the engine was changed at some point in time, the manuals & catalogs were NOT updated to reflect the change. I eventually learned that there was a "Service Bulletin" that clearly explained everything. This bulletin was NOT available to the public (me). The pending "Right To Repair" legislation will prevent these kinds of problems from happening in the future. Tim

Last edited by Tim1959; 06-19-2015 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Resolution
Old 06-03-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: "Oil Control Orifice" in service manual conflicts with Honda parts catalog.

call honda, but have been a... few years since 1999, and parts could have changed since then... the plastic bearings on the 2001 front top mount are now steel...
Old 06-03-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "Oil Control Orifice" in service manual conflicts with Honda parts catalog.

Did yours have the O ring under it?
I'd assume if the parts catalog does not show it that way then your 99 does not need the O ring.