Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1996 DX - Heater Not Working - Video!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cooldan1 is an unknown quantity at this point
1996 DX - Heater Not Working - Video!

Hi All, I'm new to the forum, but after googling around, youtubing around, and not finding a solution, I recorded what I believe to be the issue on my phone, and uploaded the result to youtube. The link is here:

Essentially, my heat is only working when I move the white piece manually with my hand, rather than the mechanism (which I believe is supposed to and must be missing a piece). In the video, when I move the white piece forward and the metal piece moves as well, the temp control **** moves to heat and heat works. When I push it back with the metal piece, it pushes the **** to cool and that works too. Now, when I move just the metal piece, the white piece isn't moving and even though the temp **** moves to heat, since the white piece didn't move, no heat comes in.

It almost looks like there is supposed to be a piece connecting to the metal piece and white piece to allow it to move, but after countless searches and various detailed service manuals, none tell me what that piece is or what it's called. The closest I get is knowing the metal piece is the "temperature control valve" (I think). Can anyone tell me what piece I'm missing?

I'm not good with fixing cars, but since this is a car we probably want to keep going for a while, I'd rather start learning how to do repairs myself to save us money.

Thank you!
Old 04-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1996 DX - Heater Not Working - Video!

Allright, I think I see it.....

Looks like the white lever has become disconnected from the rest of the linkage for whatever reason.

Quick n dirty MS paint because I'm lazy:

Name:  wcOZha0.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  60.1 KB

Pin marked "A" on the one lever has come out of the wiggly slot "B" on the white arm.

I have no idea why it came out of the slot though... If that pin is not loose then I guess you'll have to figure out how it jumped out of its slot.

HTH
Old 04-23-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cooldan1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1996 DX - Heater Not Working - Video!

Wow, thank you so much! This has plagued us for years and I finally took some time to start researching it back when "winter" started... that "crappy ms paint" really helped, I found the little drop down metal bump, pushed it back into the white lever, and it works better than ever! Thank you thank you thank you!