Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Shell gasoline and rough running

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rojasj is an unknown quantity at this point
Shell gasoline and rough running

I noticed that in the last two weeks my 2010 Civic LX with an auto transmission has developed a more intense vibration while at a stop light. I have always felt a bit of a vibration even when it was new but this vibration seemed to intensify as I wait for the stop light to go green. However, the car never feels like it is going to stall nor is there any power loss.

I always use name brand gasoline and use 93 octane. I used some fuel injector cleaner just in case and the vibration persisted. I also noticed the engine vibrating a bit if I left the car in park and physically looked at the engine running.

So I decided to run the tank near empty and then rather than use Shell gas again, I filled the tank with Sunoco 93. I drove for a few miles and the vibration lessened considerably. When physically looking at the engine I also noticed that the vibration had lessened. I used Shell 93 from two different gas stations geographically separated by 50 miles. Is it possible that the Shell 93 octane gasoline was causing the roughness and intensified the engine vibration?
Old 11-15-2015
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Shell gasoline and rough running

Shell fuel is what I use in my 8th gen Civic if the Oil Level is Ok, and
theres no service engine soon light on. I would start looking at motor mounts
as a possible cause for your vibration.?
Old 11-15-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

"Vibration" could be anything, the description there isn't great.

bad engine mount on the passengers side is a common failure...
READ THIS POST https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4577741

Hood rattles, license plate rattles,
anything that got loose and moves too much
something vibrating against something else
etc.
Listen, feel, look.

Shell is a Top Tier gasoline brand. It should be fine, unless your gas station has a contaminated storage tank or something unusual.
Sunoco isn't on the Top Tier list.

Next, why run high octane gas? The car is designed to run 87 octane, there isn't enough (any?) benefit to justify the higher price of premium. JMHO.
Old 11-15-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

It's not the gas. If you have close to 100K, look at the passenger side upper motor-mount. It is like a big can. On the upper part is a flap of rubber and just above it it a tab of aluminum that when the mount wears out and drops down, that tab and rubber meet. You can fill a coarseness in the steering wheel.

See this post...Replacing it made my Civic fill like new.

see post 19 here...Lot of other stuff but Ezone was fixing my whole car for me then...
click here>https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ntrol-arm.html
Old 11-16-2015
Registered!!

Star1967 will become famous soon enough
Re: New member waiting for the 2016 Civic hatchback

Hello how are you? I have a 2001 Honda Civic LX and I get 55 miles to the gallon on 91 octane with no alcohol with alcohol about 53-55 miles to the gallon depending on the tempature.
Old 11-16-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Um.....what?
Old 11-16-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Star1967
Hello how are you? I have a 2001 Honda Civic LX and I get 55 miles to the gallon on 91 octane with no alcohol with alcohol about 53-55 miles to the gallon depending on the tempature.
Originally Posted by Stock 99
Um.....what?
Sure seems like that one landed in a wrong thread. Maybe it was supposed to go to the thread where I questioned the use of 93 octane fuel in an LX Civic.
Old 11-16-2015

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Well the OP does state MPG considerations for the car purchase. I just get tired of people who make outrageous claims about fuel economy. When 90% of the average 7th gen drivers get somewhere in the 30's this guy is the one in million that gets 55. I guess, if your daily commute is 600km @ 50km/h and your doing it all in 5th gear without ever stopping then..sure but that's not a reflection of average use or fuel economy. Makes me wonder why it's posted here at all.
Old 11-16-2015

Posts 5, 6, 7, 8: I took the liberty of moving these from another thread to this one, as #5 makes more sense in this thread. IF this was wrong, please let me know and we can move them back.

(orig thread)
Old 11-16-2015

I have a 2001 Honda Civic LX and I get 55 miles to the gallon on 91 octane with no alcohol with alcohol about 53-55 miles to the gallon depending on the tempature.
Well the OP does state MPG considerations for the car purchase. I just get tired of people who make outrageous claims about fuel economy. When 90% of the average 7th gen drivers get somewhere in the 30's this guy is the one in million that gets 55. I guess, if your daily commute is 600km @ 50km/h and your doing it all in 5th gear without ever stopping then..sure but that's not a reflection of average use or fuel economy.
Weird, the usual quote function isn't working.

Anyway.... I have managed to get over 50 MPG in my 12, but as stated above I also had to drive slow and steady to reach that. Steady 50-55 MPH netted me 50-53 MPG several times on trips to my sisters 50 miles away.

Now that I have the huge tires and wheels, driving at real highway speeds (75-85+) netted me 33 MPG on my last trip with the ol' lady in tow. Worse in the winter.
Old 11-16-2015
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Civics are designed for 87 octane. You're literally burning money by using 89 or 91+ octane. It won't be cleaner, it won't be more efficient. My most efficient tanks have all been running 87 octane, least efficient using anything higher (I've run up to 100 octane)
Old 11-16-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Shell is crap! Others may disagree, but I have experienced dirty gas symptoms from Shell, and have several reputable mechanics back up my opinion.

Replace your fuel filter, put some injector cleaner in there, and stop using shell.

Riceboy is right, use the proper octane for your car, buying premium is throwing away money.
Old 11-18-2015
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

mad dog tennan

unless the shell gas stations You go to have dirty tanks or are not
changing the fuel filter IF there is one on the pumps. wich there should
be cause all gas station pumps have them. other than that I don't see
how dirt can get in your fuel tank. I always use shell around my area
and never once have I had any problems.
Old 11-18-2015

Most of the gas in my local burg comes out of the same depot....I used to work near it, I always noticed various brand names on the tanker trucks all at the same place..... Shell, Mobil, Amoco/BP, whatever...

I understand that once a truck is filled they'll dump in an additive package of detergents and whatnot.... any given brand name gets its own custom blend of additives.

There are plenty of opportunities for contamination, from the shipping and storage, the tanker trucks, the underground tanks at your local retailers, to the car itself.