Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Please Help me fix my AC problem - 2010 civic

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brfitzp is an unknown quantity at this point
Please Help me fix my AC problem - 2010 civic

Hi, for a few months now my ac randomly stops working. I turn the **** and hear absolutely nothing. But anyday now it will randomly start working just fine again.

I did some searching and a lot of people were having trouble with a relay, does this sound like it could be the relay?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!
Old 06-10-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
re: Please Help me fix my AC problem - 2010 civic

Please Help me fix my ACCOUNT problem - 2010 civic
Is this title correct? Do I need to change it to read AC instead of ACCOUNT?
Yeah, I will. Done.

does this sound like it could be the relay?
Yes it certainly could be a relay, but it could be other stuff too. Easy to check, just get it to quit working then open the fuse box and tap on the clutch relay and see if it kicks on and cools again.
Old 06-10-2015
Registered!!

Re: Please Help me fix my AC problem - 2010 civic

Originally Posted by ezone
Is this title correct? Do I need to change it to read AC instead of ACCOUNT?
Yeah, I will. Done.

Yes it certainly could be a relay, but it could be other stuff too. Easy to check, just get it to quit working then open the fuse box and tap on the clutch relay and see if it kicks on and cools again.

Yes thank you, I'm on an iPad so it autocorrected to that.

That would be great if it was a relay, just 2 dumb questions left. Where under the hood would I find this, just in a fuse box I'd assume? Will I be able to identify the clutch relay from a diagram on the box? Or do I need to find something online?

Thank you!
Old 06-10-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Near the battery is the fuse box

AC clutch relay is position #12

I tap on it with something about the size of a screwdriver handle, but not so hard you break the plastic shell on the relay

Updated relay brand is MITSUBA, Honda part number 39794-SDA-A05
Old 06-13-2015
Registered!!

Ok so I tapped on the relay a bunch and nothing kicked on. The next day the ac worked fine.

Now it's off again. When it works it blows cold and everything, should I just try and replace the relay anyway?
Old 06-13-2015

How many miles on the car?
Old 06-13-2015
Registered!!

How many miles on the car?

Its around 67,000 miles
Old 06-13-2015

Originally Posted by Brfitzp
Ok so I tapped on the relay a bunch and nothing kicked on. The next day the ac worked fine.

Now it's off again. When it works it blows cold and everything, should I just try and replace the relay anyway?
You might swap one of the other nearly identical relays with the clutch relay to check.

If no, then I'd want to actually do a few tests to see if the system is even trying to operate the clutch first.

When it quits working, are the (radiator) fans on or off??
(you might need to open the hood and look, on low speed they may be too quiet to hear)
Old 06-13-2015
Registered!!

You might swap one of the other nearly identical relays with the clutch relay to check.

If no, then I'd want to actually do a few tests to see if the system is even trying to operate the clutch first.

When it quits working, are the (radiator) fans on or off??
(you might need to open the hood and look, on low speed they may be too quiet to hear)
When I tapped on the relay yesterday, the radiator fans weren't on at first and the ac **** was set to on high. The radiator fans eventually turned on when the car warmed up.

Also when I swap them, do they just pull straight out? Do I swap them with the car running?
Old 06-13-2015

When I tapped on the relay yesterday, the radiator fans weren't on at first and the ac **** was set to on high.
Your interior fan works the whole time, right?

If the AC system does not turn the radiator fans on, then I think this one may be deeper than a relay issue.

try the HVAC self diagnosis and see if it returns any fault codes.

HVAC self diagnosis test

LINK: http://civic.hondafitjazz.com/A00/HTML/11/SNB6E11K73300000000BBAT00.html

Note: The first half of that article should be correct, but clearing codes is not right for this car. If the problem is corrected, the code is supposed to automatically disappear.

If it shows any codes, then I may tell you to begin there, but it depends on what the code is.

-----------------------------------------------------

There is a 3 wire plug that sits above your alternator, it is the AC compressor connector.
Unplug it.
Take the plug half that leads to the compressor (has 3 red wires), Test the resistance of the 2 outer terminals.
This is checking the thermal protector.
If it is open circuit, that will shut down the AC system.
Old 06-13-2015
Registered!!

Your interior fan works the whole time, right?

If the AC system does not turn the radiator fans on, then I think this one may be deeper than a relay issue.

try the HVAC self diagnosis and see if it returns any fault codes.

HVAC self diagnosis test

LINK: http://civic.hondafitjazz.com/A00/HTML/11/SNB6E11K73300000000BBAT00.html

Note: The first half of that article should be correct, but clearing codes is not right for this car. If the problem is corrected, the code is supposed to automatically disappear.

If it shows any codes, then I may tell you to begin there, but it depends on what the code is.

-----------------------------------------------------

There is a 3 wire plug that sits above your alternator, it is the AC compressor connector.
Unplug it.
Take the plug half that leads to the compressor (has 3 red wires), Test the resistance of the 2 outer terminals.
This is checking the thermal protector.
If it is open circuit, that will shut down the AC system.
Ok so the code i received was number 6, which is the blower motor. I checked the ac compressor and could see it spinning, ruling out the relay for that. I checked the fuses both in the car and under the hood for the blower motor and they both appeared to be fine.

I would assume the fuses are fine since the ac still works but intermittently.
Old 06-13-2015
Registered!!

So i discovered that the blower motor under the glove box was not running. If i tapped it, it would kick on, however it was making a strange noise. I replaced the motor for $65 from advanced auto parts. Hoping that solves the problem. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-13-2015

Ok so the code i received was number 6, which is the blower motor. I checked the ac compressor and could see it spinning, ruling out the relay for that. I checked the fuses both in the car and under the hood for the blower motor and they both appeared to be fine.

I would assume the fuses are fine since the ac still works but intermittently.
So i discovered that the blower motor under the glove box was not running. If i tapped it, it would kick on, however it was making a strange noise. I replaced the motor for $65 from advanced auto parts. Hoping that solves the problem. Thanks for the help!
Sounds like you got it. Hope the fan was a direct fit, no hacking needed to install.

The interior fan has to run in order to keep the AC system running. If the interior fan doesn't run, the HVAC control panel can disable the AC.