Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Phantom DRL's

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jstngrms is an unknown quantity at this point
Phantom DRL's

So, apparently i have a magical 2007 civic. I was sitting in the house watching TV and when i looked out my window the daytime running lights (two orange ones in front, tail lights, and license plate light) were all on. My car hasn't been started in 3 days. I don't know when they came on but they wouldn't go off no matter what i did (started it, flashed the lights, etc). I ended up just unhooking the battery and hooking it back up and they didn't come back on. This worked for a week, then it happened again. Any ideas why my DRL's just magically come on while my car is sitting in the driveway? Very frustrated.
Old 03-23-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Phantom DRL's

Headlights not on?
That sounds like the park lights.

Got anything aftermarket in the car? Remote start, alarm? That would be the FIRST place to start.

I can't think of any reason something stock would turn the lights on and leave them on for no reason.

I might guess either the switch contacts stuck on, or relay contacts stuck on.....but usually when one of those happens the lights would be stuck on ever since you last turned them on.

Got water leaks or damage in the interior?

This might sound stupid....... Next time it happens, smack the dash fusebox and see if the lights turn off.
Old 03-23-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jstngrms is an unknown quantity at this point

Park lights yeah i guess not DRL's. I do have after market remote start. Which actually hasn't been working right for a while, i never even thought of that, thanks ill look into it.
No water leaks or damage that i know of.
At least you've given me a place to start i've been racking my brain on this, so thanks.
Old 03-23-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jstngrms
Park lights yeah i guess not DRL's. I do have after market remote start. Which actually hasn't been working right for a while, i never even thought of that, thanks ill look into it.
No water leaks or damage that i know of.
At least you've given me a place to start i've been racking my brain on this, so thanks.
Remote start that's already got a problem? Yeah, that just went to the top of the list of possible suspects.
I bet the exact same lights are on when the remote start is used.

You could go in and unplug/disconnect/remove the remote start, or wait until the lights are stuck on again and unplug/disconnect/remove the remote start at that time.

If you wait until it's actually happening (lights stuck on) you could at least find out for sure if that IS the culprit, but, you could be risking a long wait or you could risk killing the battery if you don't catch it in time.

HTH