Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Coolant reservoir empty? Car running fine..

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoochrulez55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Coolant reservoir empty? Car running fine..

Hey all, i was thinking about taking the civic in this morning because its honda certified at the dealer i bought it from because it seems whether the car is warm or cold (has been sitting for a while), the coolant reservoir looks and feels empty. All other fluid levels are fine, and ive checked for leaks. None found. The car doesnt operate poorly, as it will stay at idle running temp (just under half on the gauge) and not go up any further indicating an increase in temperature. No smoking or anything of the sort. The car operates fine. I have a 2009 manual coupe. So its safe to say that going through the manual, i properly identified the reservoir as being the small white tank at the front right when you pop the hood. Should i just add coolant? Maybe it needs topped up. I cant see that far down into the gap to see fluid coming up to the min/max lines so i am unsure if theres any in there. I shook it slightly to listen for liquid splashing and couldnt hear anything. Do you think the key here is to top up the reservoir?
Old 09-16-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Coolant reservoir empty? Car running fine..

Do you have any in there when the engine is at operating temps ?? If so bring it to the top line embossed in tank lower section with Honda type II.

Then monitor it when engine is at temp.
Old 09-16-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

the coolant reservoir looks and feels empty.
With the engine COLD, open the radiator cap first, make sure it is completely filled.
Then top up the reservoir.

I cant see that far down into the gap to see fluid coming up to the min/max lines
You should be able to see the fluid level rise as you refill it. Open the lid and use a flashlight if you need to, it helps me.
Stop at the MAX line.
You can also remove the reservoir if you wish, simply pull it straight up off of its mounting bracket.

Use the proper antifreeze.

It may or may not be an indication of a problem, we don't know when it was last full, so we can't accurately assess this. Refill everything and keep an eye on it.

Seems like most Hondas do need the reservoir topped from time to time, possibly due to evaporation. If one ignores it for a few oil changes, the reservoir goes empty.

because its honda certified at the dealer i bought it from
If you recently bought it, or just recently had the oil changed at the dealer, return there and have them top up the cooling system. IMHO this is should be included with every oil change service.

If it disappears from the reservoir before the next oil change, that's probably an indication of a leakage somewhere.

small white tank at the front right when you pop the hood.
FYI: Left and right in any vehicle are determined as you sit in the drivers seat, no matter where you are standing on the outside of the car.

At work, I encourage use of the terms 'drivers side' and 'passengers side' to keep things crystal clear, because things get SNAFU in a hurry when not everyone knows how to use the left and right terms.

HTH
Old 09-19-2013
Registered!!

soniczoom5 is an unknown quantity at this point

its a common issue with this model civic; the reservoir tank always "looks" empty; **** poor design if you ask me; honda techs will tell you it will always look that way
Old 09-19-2013

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^^....well thanks. After hearing this valuable tidbit I'm putting mine up for sale as we speak.

Looking to get on of the $65k silverados.
Old 09-19-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soniczoom5
its a common issue with this model civic; the reservoir tank always "looks" empty; **** poor design if you ask me; honda techs will tell you it will always look that way

Please enlighten me on how the reservoir tank on a 2009 Civic always "looks" empty.
Old 09-19-2013

Originally Posted by CraigW
^^^^....well thanks. After hearing this valuable tidbit I'm putting mine up for sale as we speak.
Let me help you out!
I know how much you hate dealing with craigslist lowballers, scrappers and auto recyclers.....

So, my standard offer of $100 American Dollars goes to you. (Maybe a little more if the paint is still shiny.) And a beer.

I will helpfully remove that dreadful .....2010..Civic...eyesore...thing..... from your garage/driveway/yard/blocks to make room for your new truck.

Go ahead and mow down the weeds from behind it so I can get the tow truck backed up to it, I can be there at 10AM Saturday.

Old 09-19-2013

^^^^ That is a (cough,cough) generous offer sir, I smile a little wider each month seeing my new payoff balance.

Love my R18. And my coolant level is only effected by evaporation.
Old 09-19-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the hell are you two doing? bwaaahahahaha!
The following users liked this post:
Sexileomama (05-08-2021)
Old 09-19-2013

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
the hell are you two doing? bwaaahahahaha!
Someone exposed a major flaw in the 09 (linky https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4648468) and so now Craig is going to get rid of his 10 and get a new Silverado.

So I generously offered to help him make room for the new truck!
(Can ya blame a guy for trying?)
Old 09-20-2013
Registered!!

soniczoom5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Please enlighten me on how the reservoir tank on a 2009 Civic always "looks" empty.

have you actually seen the tank on a 09 civic? maybe you should go look at one yourself; the actual reservoir is fairly large but most of the room is unused; the min/max lines are at the way bottom of the tank so for most people it would "look" empty at all times
Old 09-20-2013

It's just the way it is, been the same for years now, and not only Honda.

As long a you know where to look... I don't see a problem.

Not 1 inch of space is wasted in a modern car, and if they could in some way trim a few cents off they would have done it already.
Old 09-20-2013

Originally Posted by soniczoom5
have you actually seen the tank on a 09 civic?
I certainly have seen the tank. The same reservoir is used in all of the 8th gen Civics in North America (model years 2006 to 2011).

I have seen at least a thousand of them, or more. Literally.
I see them almost daily. Literally.
All mounted properly in real cars that actually run.

I have no issues finding the coolant level in the reservoir.

Using a flashlight, and with a gentle wiggle of the reservoir, and I can figure out if it is at the correct level or not in about 3 seconds or less. Literally.

I might even take the lid off and look directly inside the reservoir, if I feel so inclined.

I didn't ever believe this particular task was tough at all.

The coolant reservoirs in 7th gen and 9th gen Civics can be far more difficult to view IMHO.

YMMV.