2001 Civic LX: Shoddy work cause of check engine? - Honda Civic Forum

Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2015   #1  
Registered!!

mistermenphis22 is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Civic LX: Shoddy work cause of check engine?

Bought the car cheap with a blown head gasket. Fixed it for cheap. Cleared codes and it passed smog. Codes cleared were p0171 and P0453.

Check engine came back on with the same codes
but the car runs fine and starts up fine. Really don't notice symptoms except a funky fuel gauge that sometimes reads 1 or 2 units higher or lower.

I installed some speakers in the back recently and I noticed an abomination of wiring with what appears to be a on/off switch. This is the plug next to the fuel filter cap thing. I dont know what the wiring does. All I know is that it doesn't look like that.

Car had new oil, sparks and o2 sensor changed. So that rules them out.

Below are some pics. This is under the rear seats.

http://m.imgur.com/MwkNSfO,yLpF4Wh,H...oMkwkz,ccXhyJQ

All help is appreciated. I have no idea what I am doing. I know how to do basic maintenance and that's it.
mistermenphis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015   #2  
pleasure spiked with pain

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2001 Civic LX: Shoddy work cause of check engine?

The switch looks to be a fuel pump cut off switch. This may have been installed for increased security. Generally the switch is hidden so thieves can't find it.

Do the wires go to the pump? It's hard to tell in the pics.
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015   #3  
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

The shoddy wiring isn't the cause of your check engine codes.

Golnat is correct and that's a kill switch for the fuel pump (even though I can't exactly see the wiring). It's in your best interest to either fix it or remove it. The 12v line has been cut to the fuel pump and the switch has been inserted. So in the off postion the fuel pump will not function. Either remove the switch and wires and reconnect the 12v line with solder (not butt connectors, not electrical tape) or keep the switch and just wire it properly by soldering all the connections.
Stock 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015   #4  
Registered!!

mistermenphis22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolNat View Post
The switch looks to be a fuel pump cut off switch. This may have been installed for increased security. Generally the switch is hidden so thieves can't find it.

Do the wires go to the pump? It's hard to tell in the pics.
I didn't open up the lid but I am assuming it is connected to the socket in that assembly thing. I thought it might be related to the check engine since that code is for high voltage on the evaporative system, usually the fuel pressure sensor. But the fuel pressure sensor is under the car.

I will recheck the connections and make sure they are OK. If the speakers I removed are wired anything like this was, it was probably done horribly.
mistermenphis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016   #5  
Registered!!

Fablejake is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a seat ejector switch. This isn't uncommon. Great safety feature if done correctly.
Fablejake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016   #6  
Allow me to explain through interpretive dance

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
an abomination of wiring with what appears to be a on/off switch.
Quit guessing. Open the dang cover and see what that wiring mess is really connected to.

P0171 is a lean code and those usually kinda suck to get figured out. If the pump is running at a lower voltage than intended because of a voltage drop caused by crappy wiring connections......I could see it happening.

P0453 FTP sensor high..... Doesn't seem like a high failure item.
Unplugged?
Rodent chewed wires are common to see in my area.

Quote:
Car had new oil, sparks and o2 sensor changed. So that rules them out.
No, not really.
ezone is online now   Reply With Quote