Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

09 Civic: Sometimes NO reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pauls is an unknown quantity at this point
09 Civic: Sometimes NO reverse?

Just bought a used Civic. only 7000 miles. recently when I come to a stop and attempt to back up, reverse is like neutral? You can put it in park then back to reverse and OK. I noticed the green indicator light and the back up lights are not on when it won't go into reverse.

Checked fluid which was low, but that didn't help. Trans works fine other than this problem.

Looked for recalls, didn't see any.

Search the forum here and didn't see any other similar problems.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 08-15-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 09 Civic: Sometimes NO reverse?

never heard that on the newer civics. if the trans fluid was low (hopefully you checked when hot) there may be some sort of issue. because trans fluid should never disappear since its a closed system. if the fluid was below the min line, permanent damage was done. the problem will be hard to figure out tho. could be something wrong with the shift cable, trans range switch, or a bunch of other things. is the D light blinking on the dash? or any engine light?
Old 08-15-2011
Registered!!

pauls is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
never heard that on the newer civics. if the trans fluid was low (hopefully you checked when hot) there may be some sort of issue. because trans fluid should never disappear since its a closed system. if the fluid was below the min line, permanent damage was done. the problem will be hard to figure out tho. could be something wrong with the shift cable, trans range switch, or a bunch of other things. is the D light blinking on the dash? or any engine light?
No service lights on in dash. No D light blinking. Trans works fine, no slipage or jerking. Start up in morning put it in R and it's fine. Drive in D and put it in R, just revs until I cycle it to P or D then back to R. Mysterious thing is that the green light in the dash for R doesn't come on or the the back up lights when R doesn't work. Seems like something electric not mechanical. Isn't there some selenoid for R in the trans? Can that affect this?
Old 08-15-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well if the car is able to switch into R normally some of the time, its prolly not a trans issue. sounds like something with the shifter is messed up, like possibly the lockout or the cable.
Old 08-16-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Can you make it happen often enough to document with Honda ?? You should.

The no R light and missing back-up lights may help them.

Could get $$
Old 05-19-2012
Registered!!

oscar11487 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a kinda similar problem with my 2008 civic ex coupe the only diffrence is my back light do turn on when i put in reverse. the drl and check engine light is on and mine wont take reverse at all but all other gear ON AUTO TRANNY WORKS PARK NEUTRAL DRIVE.
Old 05-19-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oscar11487
i have a kinda similar problem with my 2008 civic ex coupe the only diffrence is my back light do turn on when i put in reverse. the drl and check engine light is on and mine wont take reverse at all but all other gear ON AUTO TRANNY WORKS PARK NEUTRAL DRIVE.
DRL light: is usually because at least one of the high beam headlights is out.
Check engine light could be related to your trans complaint......maybe you should get it checked out since that might be an obvious clue.

Also, the car should have a 5/60 powertrain warranty if the issue ends up being inside the trans.

HTH
Old 05-19-2012
Registered!!

ezone your totally right my right light was out i will check the check engine with my obd2 to see witch code is on but not sure how the 5/60 warranty works
Old 05-19-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

not sure how the 5/60 warranty works
Dealer only.
We figure out what is wrong, then run the part number through the warranty page on the I.N. website to see if it is a covered item.

There are other items that have longer warranties too. PCM and CAT are 8/80, California has other rules, Canada has theirs, etc.

HTH
Old 05-19-2012
Premium Member

5/60 = 5 yrs or 60k miles whichever comes first
Old 05-19-2012
Registered!!

ook thanks didnt really know that i have the car only for 4 month it has 32k on it
Old 05-19-2012

ook thanks didnt really know that i have the car only for 4 month it has 32k on it
Could still have the bumper-to-bumper (3/36) warranty in effect too.
Go to a reputable Honda dealer for anything that could be under warranty.

Call the Customer Assistance number in your owners manual, update your owners info with Honda (change of ownership). They can tell you what warranty is left.
You will need the VIN from the car.
Old 05-19-2012
Registered!!

Smile Re: 09 Civic: Sometimes NO reverse?

thanks bro this was really helpful
Old 06-16-2012
Registered!!

ok the code it read was the solenoid my mechanic said problem was electrical and he had too take out the tranny just to fix because the solenoind in my car is located in the tranny. car hits every gear normally but am a lil worry still. could that been the issue? if so how much a work like that go for
Old 06-16-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

No Warranty ??

I this a Honda technician with this diagnosis ??
Old 06-16-2012

my mechanic ......and he had too take out the tranny just to fix because the solenoind in my car is located in the tranny.

........how much a work like that go for
It will be expensive, because you apparently didn't bother to go to the right place.

Maybe you need to be needlessly relieved of all your extra money by paying lots of money for something that should have been zero cost to you if you had gone through the proper channels in the first place.
If the "diagnosis" is even right in the first place.

POWERTRAIN WARRANTY.
5 YEARS/60,000 miles.
I wonder who would take care of that....Hmmmm.... Who could that be....?
Old 06-18-2012
Registered!!

the code it read when diagnostic was done was the solenoid car now reverse and runs smoothly.apparently wires were out of place and burn it was more electrical then anything but he had to take out tranny to do work.
Old 06-18-2012
Registered!!

car is salvage has no warranty
Old 06-18-2012
Registered!!

official honda obd 2 was used
Old 06-18-2012

car is salvage has no warranty
You should have mentioned that before.
Makes sense now.
Carry on.
Old 06-18-2012
Registered!!

i bought like that is my first car my apoligies. car simply flipped on a ditch. guy charged me 600 to fix my reverse problem.pay 600 to fix that reverse issue he it good prize?
Old 06-18-2012

To pull the trans out, probably a fair price.
I don't do numbers though, and numbers can vary a lot.
I hate that the manufacturer thought that putting all those electrical controls inside was a good idea. It sucks when there is a real problem, it becomes expensive for a customer.