Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

DIY Adding DRLs to a 2002 LX

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SteveNaz is an unknown quantity at this point
DIY Adding DRLs to a 2002 LX

My Civic apparently came without daytime running lights, and the owner's manual seems to say DRLs were standard only on Canadian models. I've found numerous posts asking how to disable DRLs, but I think DRLs are a good idea, and I'd like to have them. Can someone describe a mod where I can leave the light switch on all the time and just have the lights on when the ignition key is in the run position? It would be nice if I could select between parking lights and full lights. Either way, I am guessing the proper solution will include a relay, but all good ideas will be appreciated.
Old 02-05-2014
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY Adding DRLs to a 2002 LX

You have a few options

1) just turn your headlights on every time you start the car. Quick and easy, no need for wiring changes

2) buy some driving lights (led, halogen, hid, your choice) and wire them up so they turn on only when the car is on. This requires you to buy stuff and figure out what +12VDC lines are hot when your key is in the "on" position (or whatever position you desire). Added bonus, you have have then turn off if your parking brake is set like some other cars do (my dad's old 97 suburban did that). Most likely requires drilling through your firewall unless you can find a firewall penetration to use.

3) add an actual DRL module to your car. Requires more parts, but will work like OEM: partial voltage to your high beam when your headlight switch is off, turns off when you turn your headlights on, and still retain high bean capability. Bonus points if you make the install clean with no wires looking all out of place.

http://blog.machanon.net/2009/10/24/.../#.UvK_X3i9Kc0

Here's a DIY guide on an RSX, install will be extremely similar on the civic. Downside is if you want HIDs in the future, DRLs aren't HID ballast friendly.
Old 02-06-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SteveNaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the thoughtful and thorough reply. After due consideration, and in light of the $60 module required for the excellent solution outlined in #3 (below), it seems like the only prudent choice is #1. That is to say, I'll just have to try harder to remember and turn the lights on when I drive in daylight. It seems like nothing is ever as simple as it first seems. I was rather hoping that I could cut one wire and more it to another to make DLRs.
Old 02-07-2014
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

If I had a wiring diagram in front of me, I could probably finagle a way to do it. Pick up a Haynes manual and look at the wiring diagrams on the back. You can prolly use a 5-pin relay to send power to your low beam using a line that's hot when the car is on for the 87A pin so your lights turn on when you start the car and maybe through the 87 pin for parking/headlight position on the headlight switch so you'd have a pseudo home-brew DRL module going on..

I dunno. I'd have to look at electrical diagrams and draw it out to give you a definitive answer.