Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A/C Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light
A/C Problem

2002 Honda Civic HX, 215k miles on body, swapped engine to JDM at 180k miles.

The A/C is blowing hot air. I got a can of 134a refrigerant to refill it. The can has a pressure gage on it that reads from 0 kPa to 80 kPa. I turn the car on and put the A/C to full blast and leave the car running. I open the hood and attached the can of refrigerant to the low side port. The pressure gage immediately spikes off the chart beyond 80 kPa. I can tell that no refrigerant is leaving the can because the can is not turning cold.

Any clue what this means?
Old 08-15-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A/C Problem

Originally Posted by 4jacks
2002 Honda Civic HX, 215k miles on body, swapped engine to JDM at 180k miles.

The A/C is blowing hot air. I got a can of 134a refrigerant to refill it. The can has a pressure gage on it that reads from 0 kPa to 80 kPa. I turn the car on and put the A/C to full blast and leave the car running. I open the hood and attached the can of refrigerant to the low side port. The pressure gage immediately spikes off the chart beyond 80 kPa. I can tell that no refrigerant is leaving the can because the can is not turning cold.

Any clue what this means?
That means it was not a freon problem.
You need to pursue electrical stuff instead.

When you turn the AC on do the radiator fans kick on?
Old 08-16-2015
Registered!!

4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
That means it was not a freon problem.
You need to pursue electrical stuff instead.

When you turn the AC on do the radiator fans kick on?
No the Radiator fans do not turn on, I thought that was odd, but wasn't sure
Old 08-16-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Wait wait wait..... google converter says 80kPa = 11 PSI?

You SURE your gauge reads in kPa?
Old 08-16-2015
Registered!!

Errr you're right PSI on outside, kPA inside
top of gauge is 552 kPa = 80 PSI
Old 08-16-2015

80 is plenty of pressure to get the system to start operating.

Disconnect the 3 wire connector from the compressor, and ohm test between the outer two red wires. There should be continuity.
EDIT: The center wire operates the compressor clutch

Pull the connector off of the pressure switch, start the engine turn the AC on and check if there is a ground on the blue wire.

Last edited by ezone; 08-16-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-17-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
80 is plenty of pressure to get the system to start operating.

Disconnect the 3 wire connector from the compressor, and ohm test between the outer two red wires. There should be continuity.
EDIT: The center wire operates the compressor clutch

Pull the connector off of the pressure switch, start the engine turn the AC on and check if there is a ground on the blue wire.
Thanks EZone. I made an appointment with the shop for Friday. Not looking forward to the repair bill, but I haven't ever really messed with A/C repairs before, and in my townhouse I'm working with limited space and tools.