wheel stud replacement 02 Civic EX - Honda Civic Forum

Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2007   #1
Registered!!

buhrito is an unknown quantity at this point
wheel stud replacement 02 Civic EX

I need to replace a front wheel stud on my '02 Civic EX. The shop says they need to pull the hub assembly, replace the bearing, ect... Looking at this post, it appears that can be avoided.

http://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_188380/tm.htm

My question is, do you have to grind down the old stud before you can remove it? Is there room to get a grinder back there?
buhrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #2
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: wheel stud replacement 02 Civic EX

hit it out with a hammer and it falls right out and no you dont need to replace the bearing...just take off the caliper and rotor, hit the old stud out and put the new one on
RHCP0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #3
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

its pretty easy, i wouldnt sweat it, just beat the lil sum bitch out of there, and make sure u get honda genuine studs, they will last longer, and have better luck with them, plus fitment will be better
greeen01civic4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #4
Registered!!

Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough

It depends on whether its the front or the rear. If its the front studs then the whole hub has to be removed in order to replace the studs. I know this first hand. If its the rear studs then you can whack them out with a hammer.
Mr_Plenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007   #5
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Where is speedfoos, he did this the other week
TRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007   #6
Registered!!

Nitro Express is an unknown quantity at this point

To get it out is easy! Cut it off with with a 4" grinder and punch it out with a drift pin (or equal). Putting it in is another matter. You can grind it like your link shows, but. You will be introducing a lot of stress concentrations wherever you grind... Chances are it will be ok, but with the loads this area sees, I would do it the right way. IMO.
Nitro Express is offline   Reply With Quote