6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Will coasting in Neutral improve mpg? Will that have an affect on the trany?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mike98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Will coasting in Neutral improve mpg? Will that have an affect on the trany?

I was wondering this because i have an auto and whenever I'm coasting the transmission is still engaged so the engine is reving 1500's.
But when i switch it to neutral RPM drop to 600, therefore it will use less fuel. Plus in neutral i can coast for a longer distance.

The only concern i have is that this will weaken my transmission.
Old 02-16-2011
02 Civic, Coupe

Xx7thGenxX is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Will coasting in Neutral improve mpg? Will that have an affect on the trany?

i dont no what it will do to your tranny, i have a manual transmission and when i aproach hills (downhill) i always put it in neutral, it does improve mpg so it would be the same for yours, im not so sure about an automatic tranny going in and out of neutral though...
Old 02-16-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Will coasting in Neutral improve mpg? Will that have an affect on the trany?

Actually, you're better off coasting in gear. I can't remember the stuff off the top of my head, but it takes more gas to keep the car running in neutral.
Old 02-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the rough

Mike your reasoning is flawed and will cause premature break wear on the car. The tps position is at 0 when you release the gas pedal rpms are not a good means of judging gas usage when coming to a stop, if the tps is at 0 then the car puts in no more gas than when its idling, the rpms raise is just the cars trans downshifting to assist in stopping, its not using more gas to do that. 16 years of working on cars and learning the ins and outs of how they work has taught me that.
Old 02-16-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Fuel injection, that is. When coasting it will not be injecting more fuel, rather less.
Old 02-16-2011
Registered!!

mike98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright guys, thanks for clearing that out for me.
I used to do it but always had a bad feeling about it lol.
Old 02-16-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

more fuel used in neutral than in drive, and its always a bad idea to force the trans into gear (or neutral) while the car is moving.