Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine revs high and low after alternator replacement and throttle body cleaning . .

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bricoleur is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine revs high and low after alternator replacement and throttle body cleaning . .

I have a '95 Honda Civic DX, 4 door, 1.5 L engine, automatic transmission. After having another rebuilt alternator put in and the throttle body cleaned, the engine now revs high and low in a continuous cycle, especiallynwhile the transmission is in either Park or Neutral. but it also occurs while in Drive but , this situation (high rev, low rev cycle) lessens a bit when I turn on the headlights and air conditioner, but it is still there, just not as forceful.

When the transmission is in Drive or Reverse, this high revving, low revving goes away when the car is stopped ( with brake pedal on) but when driving at low speeds, there is some of this high rev/low rev -- just not as much as when in Park or Neutral.

The car was not doing any of this until the new alternator was put in and the shop clearned the throttle body, (which, BTW, I did not ask them to do). I wonder if that has something to do with this? Maybe clearning the throttle body messed put gunk or gummed up the IACV?

The background on the rebuilt alternator: Under this site's subforum for I.C.E. and Electrical for 5th generation Civics, I posted yesterday about my replacing the original alternator after it developed overcharging problems.

I am thinking along the lines of a clogged/dirty IACV, bubble in the coolant system, or some weird ECM issue.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Last edited by Bricoleur; 09-09-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-09-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Engine revs high and low after alternator replacement and throttle body cleaning

Take it back to the shop that did the work, because it did not do this until they touched it.