General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

What is the point of the resonator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07exNavi is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What is the point of the resonator?

Originally Posted by wheelspinLX
Without that resonator my car has an even bigger reservoir to draw air from called the entire atmosphere. I don't get your reasoning. It's only there to cut down on intake sound.
Thats what it would make you think. But its all about air pressure at low RPM, an airbox creates the pressure and flow for throttle response. With an open intake it has more air to draw from at a lower pressure. Like a garden hose with no nozzel the water just pours out. Having an airbox is like having a nozzel or putting your finger over the end of the hose so the water shoots out under pressure. This creates better performance for lower RPMs and better throttle response. That is probably the best way I can explain it.
Old 07-09-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gearbox
the metal tube only feels hot to the touch. its really the same temp as the engine bay. i measured mine at 115F, same as surrounding parts. and this was when outside temp was 80F. not really a big increase, prolly just lost a few hp but gained some mpg lol. the air moves so fast that i doubt the pipe would have time to heat it as it moves. and you are drawing in same hot air from engine anyway so it wont matter.
well, not to challenge ur vast knowledge, but i begg to differ.

after a long drive on the freeway from school to home, my engine bay is pretty hot... and i do most my driving to/from school...

it so turns out that its hot enough to melt rubber... here are my pixs to prove it to you.

im sure rubber's melting point it alot higher than 115F.

keep in mind ive had this intake for bout....m......20k miles.

my AEM V2 intake.

here it is again.

eww...the rubber...wonder where that stupid rubber come from?

turns out it was melted rubber from my tube that goes into the engine.

it melted half of it =[

have an idea of what tube it is?

my conclustion? if its hot enough to melt rubber....that **** is HOT....(or gets really hot)

(even though 90% of my driving is on the highway)

i live in socali where it averages 80F if that makes a diff
Old 07-09-2008
Registered!!

rednwhite04 will become famous soon enough

I have the V2 also, the same hose looks precisely like yours. However, my intake doesn't rest on the hose unless it's under a load (gotta love OEM engine mount bushings). I think it's worn because of the vibration and not so much the heat. I'm not arguing that it doesn't get toasty, but next time you park pop the hood and put yer hand on the intake right at the throttle body. Its not that hot.
Old 07-09-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its mainly from the hose rubbing the metal because it vibrates so much as stated above. i doubt the rubber is actually melting. if it was actually melting, that tube would not exist anymore lol.
Old 07-09-2008

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rednwhite04
I have the V2 also, the same hose looks precisely like yours. However, my intake doesn't rest on the hose unless it's under a load (gotta love OEM engine mount bushings). I think it's worn because of the vibration and not so much the heat. I'm not arguing that it doesn't get toasty, but next time you park pop the hood and put yer hand on the intake right at the throttle body. Its not that hot.
well, after alot of driving with a closed hood its hot.

and yess, its melted not rubbed off from vibration or anything....cuz melted rubber is all over the intake as well...i cleaned most of it off of the pix.

gearbox - well, that hose is pretty stiff n doesnt move very easily.... i REALLY had to pry n twist it to get a pix of it...

anyone else has this problem?? i needa get a new tube...freak
Old 07-09-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well you really cant say its hot without at least measuring the temp. anything over 100F feels hot to humans and there is no real way to judge anything beyond that other than it feels too hot to touch. well i take that back. if youve ever stuck your head under the hood of an overheated car, it feels like your face is gonna melt off lol.

on a side note, i have no idea what that hose is for. mine is damaged too but not that bad. its either fuel or something else.
Old 07-09-2008

mmmm.....u think its a good idea to get it replaced? i think i can just get another regular old tube from like...homedepot or lowes or something? or should i go to honda to get it?
Old 07-09-2008
Registered!!

rednwhite04 will become famous soon enough

lol, just go to the hardware store, or vatozone and get some rubber fuel hose. It's a fuel line, the rubber hose goes from the hardline on the firewall to the fuel rail if I remember correct. Sl33py, if it's hot enough to "melt" your rubber hose hows comes your c.a.r.b. sticker hasn't "melted". seriously, run the **** out of your car and touch the CAI right where it meets the TB and tell me it's hot enough to melt rubber.