General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

question bout resonator

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supsoop is an unknown quantity at this point
question bout resonator

if i take out my resonator and leeave it like that w/o putting a cai in will that mess up my engine??? and what will i exactly get from taking out my resonator, better sound, performance??
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
JoeB16 is an unknown quantity at this point
i assume you mean the intake resonator. it wont hurt anything, and it will give you a deeper dound out of your intake, but it wont be too loud. plus when u do put in an aftermarket intake later, itll make the job eaiser. dont expect a performance gain.
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

so if i take it out and leave it like that for say 6 months crap wont get into the engine and screw things up, cause thats what ive heard from my friends, but then again most of them dont know what their talking bout [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] basically all i will get out of it is a deeper sound??
Old 02-05-2002
Ultimate OG Member

TopFuel will become famous soon enough

<< i assume you mean the intake resonator. it wont hurt anything, and it will give you a deeper dound out of your intake, but it wont be too loud. plus when u do put in an aftermarket intake later, itll make the job eaiser. dont expect a performance gain. >>

correct...i just took mine out today and it sounds cool...[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
no, the FILTER keeps crap out of your engine. the resonator just silences the intake noise.
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

<< no, the FILTER keeps crap out of your engine. the resonator just silences the intake noise. >>

thats what i thought but my freind said something else
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

u get less gas milage tho dont u?
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

youll only get worse MPG because your on the throttle more just to hear the sound it makes without the resonator.
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

hmmm... true lol
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
I assume you will extend a pipe from the throttle body over to the filter box? Otherwise crap will get sucked in.
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

tsunamisplash is an unknown quantity at this point
uhhhhhh.. the filter box is directly above the throttle body.. so no need to extend anything. just remove the 'mysterious black box' to the left of the engine.
Old 02-05-2002
Turbo Member

RiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enoughRiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enough
You lose a little bit of torque when u take it off, but it sounds better.
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

so would u say i would have a better chance of winning a race if i leave it in, cause i would loose torque if i take it out??
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

you wont lose anything, and no it wont matter either way in a race.
Old 02-06-2002
Registered!!

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
My bad, it was real late, the filter box is on top of the throttle body. What I meant to say was to extend a pipe from the filter box to the front of the car so it sucks in cooler air instead of engine bay warmth.
Old 02-07-2002
Registered!!

civiccowboy will become famous soon enough
I took mine out and raced my brothers 96 EX and it was an even race. Then I put it back in and smoked him! You lose LOTS of power if you take it out! The bottom end seems about the same, but the top end sucks with it out. LEAVE IT IN OR GET A CAI AND EXHAUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2002
Giggity Giggity

Dakker is an unknown quantity at this point
actually i think i lost performance when i removed my box, it was deeper yes but my car wouldn't pull past 110, and ive had it over 120 on the same stretch of road, i put mine back in
Old 02-07-2002
Registered!!

UncleB is an unknown quantity at this point

<< actually i think i lost performance when i removed my box, it was deeper yes but my car wouldn't pull past 110, and ive had it over 120 on the same stretch of road, i put mine back in >>

and the reason you need to go over 110? just a question. not trying to hate or anything.
Old 02-07-2002
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about

<< you wont lose anything, and no it wont matter either way in a race. >>

you'll lose torque. and in some cases, horsepower too.

the resonator does more than muffle up the intake noise level in the 7th gen. it acts as a pipping, and an immediate air source for the throttle body.

it extends the air source from the hot engine bay location, to the farther out left area of the engine, between the fuse box and the battery.

if you take out the resonator and just leave it there, without extending pipping, during daily driving, you'll be taking in more hot engine bay air. sure the engine bay air circulates during driving (since air does go in and stuff) but its hard for it to escape (it being the hot air)...

anyway yada yada, I've seen numerous evidence that removing the resonator does hurt performance... in the case of not being able to achieve your max speed anymore (lost of torque) to slower ET at the strip (lost of hp)

the lost of performance, depending on how long you've been driving since you started the engine, to the temperature of the day... you can lose as little as 1 hp/lb.-ft of torque to 5-10.

dont believe me? go run ur car for an hour on a hot day, put it on a dyno. and compare the result with a resonator in place.

(also, do the same for a short ram intake. heh. you should yield similiar results.
Old 02-07-2002
Registered!!

aZnVoYCe has a spectacular aura aboutaZnVoYCe has a spectacular aura about
Shouldn't this topic be in the "Tech Stuff"?
Old 02-07-2002
Registered!!

DxMaN is an unknown quantity at this point
The explinations of why you lose torque/hp never make any sense to me. Yes, it is better to suck air from where the box does since it is slightly away from the engine and radiator fan exaust. But if you connect a hose (same diameter) to the two ends, you just negated that explination. As for air immediatly available, that makes no sense either. It doesn't matter whether I breath in a small room or outside, I still create a vacuume with my mouth, and air rushes to replace that vacuume.

If anything, performance will be better. The box is there to muffle sound, and to do so it must manipulate the air in some way (I've never cracked one open). This manipulation will give resistance to some degree, and be worse than a straight pipe. To say the box somehow gets the air moving correctly is to make the same claim as that Intake Tornado thing on late night TV, complete BS. Any 'special' air movement is killed by the trottle plate and/or throttle body itself.

I think any performance loss can be attributed to engine heat being sucked in by the now disconnected filter pipe. I did a test by running my thermocouple for my mutimeter under my hood while I drove. The tempature fluctuated between 100-120F on a hot day ~80F. The highs were when I was not moving (duh). This is why a CAI is better than a SRI, it gets cooler air. Every 10F is supposed to be about 1HP of loss, so it can make a sizable difference if it is cool outside.
Old 02-07-2002
Registered!!

i posted this before, but i think it applies here.

A dyno test is done is a stationary position indoors. Therefore you either see no difference between an SRI and CAI or the SRI puts out more Hp on the dyno because A) no moving air and B) the dyno run is always done with the hood up. now what do you think will make more power on a stationary car indoors, the SRI which inducts the air from the top of the engine bay WITH THE HOOD OPEN ALLOWING COLD FRESH AIR TO BE INJESTED or the CAI which is covered by the bumper and that isnt getting air flow because the car is STATIONARY? thought so.