General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

What is the point of the resonator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light
What is the point of the resonator?

I don't understand why there's a huge black box connected to the front of my intake. It looks as if it serves no purpose other than taking up space and being a repository for dirt. (see 8)

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...13S040_B01.gif
Old 07-01-2008
Registered!!

johnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to all
Re: What is the point of the resonator?

the point of the resonator is to lower the intake noise.
Old 07-01-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by johnbt23
the point of the resonator is to lower the intake noise.
Yes but I wonder to what degree. I'm going to take it out and see. If it barely makes a difference or none at all, I'm shelfing it. I need the space. And also, if I curve the intake to a hot location, I might be able to get better MPG as gearbox said. Err, I wonder if there will be an issue with engine heat because of this --I mean if I remove the whole intake tube all the way to the air filter box.

Last edited by Cleft_Asunder; 07-01-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-01-2008
Registered!!

Christafurrr is an unknown quantity at this point

It makes a lot of noise without the resonator in
Old 07-01-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cleft_Asunder
I curve the intake to a hot location, I might be able to get better MPG
Better MPG? With intentionally hot air going into your engine?
Old 07-01-2008
Registered!!

johnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Unevolved
yeah, i don't get that either....
Old 07-01-2008
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

just take it out, you might get better gas mileage and the noise won't be that bad.

and yes, warm air = better MPG.
Old 07-01-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by johnbt23
yeah, i don't get that either....
Computer notices engine is running hotter, and so less fuel is pumped into the system. From what I recall.
Old 07-01-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by beadebaserr
just take it out, you might get better gas mileage and the noise won't be that bad.

and yes, warm air = better MPG.
The noise isn't in the category of bad, it's definitely good! I'm not into custom exhaust sounds at all, yet removing the resonator and pipe has made it sound really cool. 90% of the time it sounds stock, but upon higher rpm, there is a very nice pur. Love it.
Old 07-01-2008
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about

i believe the concept of getting warmer air into the engine will increase gas mileage because the computer will pick up the air intake temperature and adjust the timing so the car runs more lean. more lean = more MPG.
Old 07-01-2008

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

True, but it also takes away what little power you have.
Old 07-01-2008
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

True, but it also takes away what little power you have.
no reason to drive a stock 97 dx like a racecar.
Old 07-01-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by beadebaserr
no reason to drive a stock 97 dx like a racecar.
I do notice a slight decrease in performance. But, I don't mind. The 5th gens had less HP and got better MPG.

6th gen little power? I think they are peppy as heck, but when it comes to torque and uphill... forget about it.
Old 07-01-2008
Registered!!

KTciv_03 can only hope to improve

with gas prices the way they are who does drive like a racecar daily? i know i dont. good job being creative and bettering your mpg at the same time. +1
Old 07-01-2008
Registered!!

07exNavi is an unknown quantity at this point

The huge black box is there for throttle response. It keeps a measured amount of air in the intake system. So when you step on the gas it has something to draw from. When you take that away you may get better performance at the top of the rpm range from slightly less restriction but you lose performance in the bottom range because there it less air immediatly available for the motor. That is why you lost a little performance.

These intakes are there for a reason, they have hours and hours of R&D to make them streetable. Some things may inhibit performance but unless your going to go to a cold air kit your probably better off overall to leave it alone. Just my oppinion.
Old 07-01-2008
Registered!!

Tokoyama is an unknown quantity at this point

when i had my civic i removed my resonator for maybe 3-4 months before i bought an intake, not really any dramatic effects. it is a little bit louder, but not really, you'll only hear anything different when you go WOT, driving normally you wont hear any difference. as for saving gas, i found myself burning more gas because i liked hearing the engine growl, which resulted from me pushing on the gas more often. I did notice a very small loss in power, but i compensated by telling myself my car wasnt speed racer to begin with so losing a few horses shouldn't matter.

Last edited by Tokoyama; 07-01-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-01-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

resonator controls noise but it also does something to the air to match the intake resonance frequencies. its not useless, in fact many have found that on a dyno, the resonator actually makes more torque below 3k rpms. so be aware power will drop a little, but you are also drawing in hot air straight from the engine which will give slightly higher mpg. alot of mpg nuts will actually route a hose directly to the header to get the warmest air. on a civic, there is no chance for engine malfunction cause the ecu will adjust everything for you. if you are driving slow anyway, i doubt you would notice a difference.
Old 07-01-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
resonator controls noise but it also does something to the air to match the intake resonance frequencies. its not useless, in fact many have found that on a dyno, the resonator actually makes more torque below 3k rpms. so be aware power will drop a little, but you are also drawing in hot air straight from the engine which will give slightly higher mpg. alot of mpg nuts will actually route a hose directly to the header to get the warmest air. on a civic, there is no chance for engine malfunction cause the ecu will adjust everything for you. if you are driving slow anyway, i doubt you would notice a difference.
It's particularly useful in the winter time during which the intake tube gets cold air. Instead it will still get warm/hot air from the engine.
Old 07-01-2008
Registered!!

ONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura aboutONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura about

Warn air also increases fuel efficency because of air density, its more a matter of thermodynamics than it is because of the computer.
Old 07-01-2008

No, it's the computer compensating for thermodynamics. Warmer air is less dense, thus contains less oxygen than the same volume of colder air. The computer adjusts for this by adding less fuel, hence the higher MPG.

Less air, less fuel, less power.

Personally, I'd rather just back off on the throttle to add a little time between fillups. I realize we don't have much power, but its almost a safety issue sometimes driving on the highway. I don't race at all, but I like my car to be safe to drive, as well.
Old 07-01-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well yeah less oxygen molecules per unit area in hot weather. same is true at high altitudes
Old 07-02-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

very very hot air...especially if you have some kinda SRI or CAI...the metal/alum gets REALLY REALLY hot...

and all that is heating the air traveling in ur engine.
Old 07-02-2008
Registered!!

metalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nice

ehh i took mine off and put a plastic tube into the air cleaner box
Old 07-02-2008
Premium Member

the metal tube only feels hot to the touch. its really the same temp as the engine bay. i measured mine at 115F, same as surrounding parts. and this was when outside temp was 80F. not really a big increase, prolly just lost a few hp but gained some mpg lol. the air moves so fast that i doubt the pipe would have time to heat it as it moves. and you are drawing in same hot air from engine anyway so it wont matter.
Old 07-02-2008
Registered!!

ONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura aboutONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura about

No, it's the computer compensating for thermodynamics. Warmer air is less dense, thus contains less oxygen than the same volume of colder air. The computer adjusts for this by adding less fuel, hence the higher MPG.

Less air, less fuel, less power.

Personally, I'd rather just back off on the throttle to add a little time between fillups. I realize we don't have much power, but its almost a safety issue sometimes driving on the highway. I don't race at all, but I like my car to be safe to drive, as well.
Did you miss the leader "more"?
Old 07-02-2008
Registered!!

wheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nice

Originally Posted by 07exNavi
The huge black box is there for throttle response. It keeps a measured amount of air in the intake system. So when you step on the gas it has something to draw from. When you take that away you may get better performance at the top of the rpm range from slightly less restriction but you lose performance in the bottom range because there it less air immediatly available for the motor. That is why you lost a little performance.

These intakes are there for a reason, they have hours and hours of R&D to make them streetable. Some things may inhibit performance but unless your going to go to a cold air kit your probably better off overall to leave it alone. Just my oppinion.
Without that resonator my car has an even bigger reservoir to draw air from called the entire atmosphere. I don't get your reasoning. It's only there to cut down on intake sound.
Old 07-02-2008

Originally Posted by ONE7thREBUILT
Did you miss the leader "more"?
Not at all. Were we not to have a computer, Thermodynamics in this sense would be incredibly detrimental to the engine, causing to to run incredibly lean, probably destroying the motor. Since we're talking about more or less a computer adjusting for thermodynamics, not thermodynamics themselves, I think thermodynamics are more pertinent.
Old 07-02-2008
Registered!!

Words-->(your ears)-->Words.

I hear your point though.
Old 07-02-2008

Originally Posted by ONE7thREBUILT
Words-->(your ears)-->Words.
I don't get it.

(Not trying to be an ***.)
Old 07-03-2008
Registered!!

metalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nice

in one ear and out the other
lol

Quick Reply: What is the point of the resonator?