General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

"Stumbling" issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold
"Stumbling" issue

That's the best way I can describe it. Occasionally when it's at idle, it'll drop down to 0, then bounce back up to 1200 or so. It'll then settle at 900. All of this happens in under a second, and when it happens, all the electrical systems in the car loose power for a fraction of a second, like the radio goes quiet and all the lights turn off. But it's not long enough for the radio to forget what time it is, and my GPS doesn't even notice.

Thoughts? My gf's dad thought it could be the IAC or EGR valves. I kind of need to get this fixed soon, I've got a road trip this weekend.
Old 06-11-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: "Stumbling" issue

Hows your battery terminals- and grounds?
Do an idle relearn
Old 06-11-2008
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Pull the throttle body of and clean everything. I am pretty sure the IAC is the culprit. Should fix the idling issue. Like triz said do the idle relearn after you clean.
Old 06-11-2008
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

my car does this too. i thought it was perfectly normal. Only i dont lose electrical power and when it happens its when im decelerating or at idel and it drops to 900 then rebounds to about 1200.
Old 06-12-2008

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

I just took off the filter housing, and it's clean in there. Everything's silver and gold. I mean, I just cleaned it about a year ago, maybe more. But still, not long. I'm going to do an idle relearn, and drive it around today. If that doesn't fix it, any other ideas what it could be?
Old 06-12-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

When your car does this, it's probably because the magnetic field of a nearby UFO is causing it to do this.....just kiddin yo, not too sure. maybe pulling the positive wire off the battery terminal and letting the ecu reset or something? Good luck. where are you going on your trip?
Old 06-13-2008

Down to Goliad County. Out to a ranch.

But then yesterday, the AC died on me. Turned out it was the blower motor transistor. I'll make a thread on it later, it's actually a pretty good story and good info.
Old 06-13-2008
Registered!!

Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough

^^^please do...
Old 12-01-2009
Registered!!

"goose"Jay is an unknown quantity at this point

My 95 eg is doing the same thing. It'll bounce from 900rpm to like 100rpm, then jump itself back up to 1k. It only does this during warm up. I know i've definately got a air leak somewhere but where idk? Im also thinking maybe iat or iac sensor? idk though?
Old 12-01-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

check all the vacuum lines, spray some soap water and watch for bubbles.
Old 12-02-2009
Registered!!

"goose"Jay is an unknown quantity at this point

i know one of the leaks is the hose that goes from the pcv to the tb. but im thinking theres got to be something else causing it as well.