Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Carpet Lumps...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PiCASSO is an unknown quantity at this point
Carpet Lumps...

Well, it's been a while since I've thought about this issue... but it was something that bothered me when I first picked up my '02 MY Si Coupe (October'01). No matter what type of shoe I was wearing, the heel of my right foot would regularly get caught (or at least feel like it) under the lump of the front driver carpeting. During that time, I inspected the carpet through out my coupe and noticed few places where pockets of air (lumps) continue to dominate up front (near the break/accelarator pedals) and near the left rail of the front driver side seat. Dealer told me that all carpets in 7th gen have this issue. I remember back that my 1997 Si Coupe didn't have that issue, since it contained a plastic mold as part of the carpet assembly. I inspected more new '02 Civics at the dealership and noticed that the issue is more severe than mine in the back seat of the 4-door sedans. The dealer told me that the best way to approach this is by purchasing the $100+ carpets and/or floor mats. I didn't want to dish out any more money at the time, so I simply spent $15 on regular rubber matts from Canadian Tire. The rubber matt worked to some degree, but still off and on there isn't enough weight from the matt to complete push down those air pockets (carpet lumps).

Not sure if this is because Honda decided to cut down on cust and reduce the wieght of their carpets, or simply they continue to have a supplier issue with regards to quality of the carpet mold. Since I haven't found one topic related to "carpets" in this form section, I'm assuming that I'm probably the only one that noticed this issue. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-09-2002
Registered!!

Decamo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I've noticed this also in my civic. I have the factory floor mats but the raised carpet with air pockets is still noticeable. Its annoying for me because the air pocket is right under my clutch pedal 'causing an annoying feel when engaging the clutch all the way.

I think the problem is too much carpet. Probably gonna have to take it out and cut some material away from the edges. Or use some 3M spray adhesive under the carpet so it sticks to the floor.

Old 03-09-2002
Registered!!

Diznavis is an unknown quantity at this point
ive got the oem all-season floor mats, so i never really even looked at the carpet. if the problem is there, they have enough weight to them to keep it down all the time
Old 03-10-2002
Registered!!

nightflare is an unknown quantity at this point
Now I'm wondering if this is what caused my current problem. I have actually worn holes into my carpet where my heels are for the clutch and gas/break pedals. Yeah, I know should have gotten floor mats, but I've never had this problem before. I'm a pretty big guy in the first place so it is MUCH easier for me to keep my heels down when switching and just pivot my foot. I know at some point I'll replace the carpet anyway so it doesn't bother me too much. I'm just curious now if anyone else has had this problem.
Old 03-10-2002
Registered!!

djlunatic is an unknown quantity at this point
"ive got the oem all-season floor mats, so i never really even looked at the carpet. if the problem is there, they have enough weight to them to keep it down all the time "

me 2
Old 03-10-2002
Registered!!

PiCASSO is an unknown quantity at this point

<< Now I'm wondering if this is what caused my current problem. I have actually worn holes into my carpet where my heels are for the clutch and gas/break pedals. Yeah, I know should have gotten floor mats, but I've never had this problem before. I'm a pretty big guy in the first place so it is MUCH easier for me to keep my heels down when switching and just pivot my foot. I know at some point I'll replace the carpet anyway so it doesn't bother me too much. I'm just curious now if anyone else has had this problem. >>

Hmmm... I think that these worn holes are due in part because of the light weight, and thus thickness of carpeting of the car. With regards to replacing the carpet, understand that everything has to be removed, front seats, back seats, front console, and others items, therefore it's not as easy I originally thought (after walking through several assembly plants).