General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Hi-milage cars. Who's got 100k miles +

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
susuking is on a distinguished road
well , if u wan to know ... i am having 170000 miles and still great ...
Old 08-02-2005
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
Wow! ^ what year? manual/auto? Do any of u high milage guys us FP60?
Old 08-02-2005
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
my old ae86 had 245k...my friends 89 accord lx-i has 375k...and it runs better than my eclipse
Old 08-02-2005
formerly 2k1CivicRacer

S2KREY is on a distinguished road
106k on a 01
Old 08-02-2005
Registered!!

AlienX will become famous soon enough
134000 kilometers = 83263.7398 miles
on a 01 w/ auto, stock engine, suspn mods(shocks struts cam kits)
Hard driver

Had a bad starter when I got the car
Blew a tranny at about 120k km ( Did not N Drop or Mess w/it )
Alt still good even w/a 1000watt RMS system pounding almost all the time
Oil changes are very irregular, sometimes at 3k, sometimes at 10k but did both fluid + filter everytime.
Air filters when needed no real time period.
Switched to castrol 5w20 synthetic @ 100k
Plugs, fluids, engine cleaners @ 100k
Still havnt done any of the belts
2 Motor mounts are shot
Sounds like the timing is off or I just need to do valves (very slight clicking)
No problems w/heating or cooling systems
2 or 3 brake jobs while having the car never rear just adjusted
Changed the front right caliper since the boot around the piston was ripped and it just didnt meet my expectations. Bleed the brakes and changed to ATE Racing blue fluid as well. Rotors only once;while changing caliper,pads,fluid(bout 3k ago)

Ya, i think thats it, tires are a bitch Yokos AVS ES100 lasted not even 1 season w/my driving habits (they gripped like a hands on ***** so I loved to take my turns HARD!!!!)

I think thats pretty much the history of the car. She still runs hard like new, Only thing is that ticking noise that might be holding me back. AC might need to be recharged a bit with the DuraCool kit ( http://www.duracool.com/Duracool/acsolutions.html )

Last edited by AlienX; 08-03-2005 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-02-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
at 98K right now and still no problems.
Old 08-02-2005
Registered!!

susuking is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Kyle23
Wow! ^ what year? manual/auto? Do any of u high milage guys us FP60?
it's 2001 auto, nv failed me once ,,,**touch wood** .. go honda hahaha
Old 08-02-2005
You bought a used dog??

def01tones will become famous soon enough
blah!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 91.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	57994  
Old 08-02-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by scarypunk
i got 84k on my 01 dx
when do i need to do timing belt ? 115k ?
dude your timing belt should be replaced at 90k with the water pump. not 115k. and if you don't and the timing belt breaks on you, your engine dies, literally and permenantly
Old 08-02-2005
Registered!!

Black03civic has a spectacular aura aboutBlack03civic has a spectacular aura aboutBlack03civic has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by def01tones
blah!
Old 08-02-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
please don't post unless you have 100k+ miles. This isn't the post your mileage thread.
Old 08-03-2005
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
135,000 km on my 01

but I dont do a lot of highway driving, sadly id say its about 120,000 city 15,000 highway.

still running a stock battery
Old 08-03-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by MajinB
dude your timing belt should be replaced at 90k with the water pump. not 115k. and if you don't and the timing belt breaks on you, your engine dies, literally and permenantly

timing belt doesnt need to be changed untill 110K miles or whenever the belt starts cracking or about to break basically. It will do some damage if it breaks, but not all the time.
Old 08-03-2005
Registered!!

MarkM01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by streetglower
timing belt doesnt need to be changed untill 110K miles or whenever the belt starts cracking or about to break basically. It will do some damage if it breaks, but not all the time.
You're obviously not familiar with a timing belt. You can't see a timing belt from the outside. So you're not going to see if it's cracking. Unless you remove quite a few things to get to it, and if you to all of that, you might as well replace it.

The only belts you can see are the accessory belts.

I had mine changed at about 110k miles. Accessory belts look fine, not once crack. But you have to remove them to get to the timing belt, so you might as well replace those too.

Who knows how long a timing belt will last, every car is different. Some break at 60k miles, some never change them on a car with 300k miles.

And these cars are considered interference engines, so if a timing change brakes, you more then likely will have engine damage. I really don't see how you couldn't.
Old 08-03-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
No he's right actually Streetglower changed his own timing belt and is (or becoming) a certified mecanic. In the owners manual and maintenance schedule, it says no scheduled tune up until 110k miles except fluids. My mom's 92 accord had the distributor go out and timing was off by 25 degrees or something to the point that pressing the gas just made some humming noise and the car didn't go. Well they fixed it and the engine was fine. So there are exceptions.

That being said, its better to do it early and not worry. I'm getting a cam gear put on, so I'll prolly have mine done at 50k. Along with new oem crank pulley, water pump, seals, timing belt, and the cam gear.
Old 08-03-2005
Registered!!

He may be right about changing the belt at 110k miles. But who's going to tear into the engine that far to just "check" to see if the timing belt needs to be change? If you get that far, you might as well change it.

Originally Posted by gearbox
No he's right actually Streetglower changed his own timing belt and is (or becoming) a certified mecanic. In the owners manual and maintenance schedule, it says no scheduled tune up until 110k miles except fluids. My mom's 92 accord had the distributor go out and timing was off by 25 degrees or something to the point that pressing the gas just made some humming noise and the car didn't go. Well they fixed it and the engine was fine. So there are exceptions.

That being said, its better to do it early and not worry. I'm getting a cam gear put on, so I'll prolly have mine done at 50k. Along with new oem crank pulley, water pump, seals, timing belt, and the cam gear.
Old 08-03-2005
Premium Member

hmm yea with mine I just pull off the timing cover, but i think normally its bolted on the bottom too.
Old 08-23-2005
Registered!!

JLHDU is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

I have a 2003 Civic EX and I've got 93K, I bought my in May 2003. I commute about 170 miles a day....No problems yet, in fact I just replaced the front brake pads at 85K for the first time...and changed the tires at 50K. Hope all goes well from here out...next is the timing belt..

-J
Old 08-23-2005
Premium Member

Nice. I get the feeling that these cars last longer the more often they're driven.
Old 08-23-2005
Premium Member

streetglower is actually studying to be a mechanic or already is one. I think he knows whats up. And hes right there is no timing cover under the car.
Old 08-23-2005
Registered!!

I never said you have to remove half the engine.

I've been under my car plenty of times, never saw the timing belt. Sure as heck looks like that cover does in fact cover the entire belt. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and check on my car again next time I'm under there. Please show or explain to us, on that picture, where is the timing belt exposed?

Never claimed to be an expert on these cars. So if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
Old 08-23-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MarkM01
I never said you have to remove half the engine.

I've been under my car plenty of times, never saw the timing belt. Sure as heck looks like that cover does in fact cover the entire belt. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and check on my car again next time I'm under there. Please show or explain to us, on that picture, where is the timing belt exposed?

Never claimed to be an expert on these cars. So if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
actually man, I am wrong. And that is my fault. I have been mistaking the bottom of the AC compressor and alternator belt for the timing belt. So I do apologize. I have been under there several times and always thought that was the timing belt but when we got into that argument I went out there and jacked up the car and looked again and sure enough I was wrong. So again I do apologize and you were right. You do need to at least remove a cover to check the belt.
Old 08-23-2005
Registered!!

No problem. Glad we got it straightened out.

I'm not an expert on these cars, but I've been working and building cars from the ground up for years.
Old 08-23-2005
Premium Member

it takes me maybe 5 mins to take the timing cover off by loosening a few bolts. Or maybe cause we left the bottom bolt off when we were swapping the head. As a general rule, better to change it early. I'll prolly have mine done soon even tho I'm barely at 50k but might as well since the cam gear is getting replaced.
Old 08-24-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
it takes me maybe 5 mins to take the timing cover off by loosening a few bolts. Or maybe cause we left the bottom bolt off when we were swapping the head. As a general rule, better to change it early. I'll prolly have mine done soon even tho I'm barely at 50k but might as well since the cam gear is getting replaced.
with that in mind, I need to pull my cover and check mine. at the same time I do mine, I am also going to change the water pump, crank pulley, possibily the front seal, possibly the tensioner. I will probably have to take it to a shop though and let them break that crank bolt loose. there is no way I am going to be able to do it without an air compressor, especially since that bolt is torqued to 200 ft. lbs or so and it has been on there for the past 3 years.
Old 08-24-2005
Premium Member

i talked to a good honda tech and they said the tensioner should never need replacing. crank pulley usually starts to go around 60-80k, and seals are always a safe bet.
Old 08-24-2005
Boosted 04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
joshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nice
25,000 on my 04.....I guess thats kind of alot in one year, I bought it with 7 on it.
Old 08-24-2005
Registered!!

TiM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have almost 100k on a '02. I checked the local dealership and it's going to cost $300-$400 to do the 90k service and change my belts too. Is that a bad price?

I've had no problems whatsoever
Old 08-24-2005
Registered!!

pr0vidence is an unknown quantity at this point
Well not a 7th gen civic, but my first car was a 1987 Honda Accord LXi hatchback. 156k on it when I bought it, ZERO problems except regular maintainence and a front axle. over 200k on it when I sold it still running MINT like it was brand new. I loved that car.
Old 08-26-2005
Registered!!

Well I finally hit 100,000 miles this morning on my way home from school. It was weird seeing that odometer roll over to 100K. Well it is still runs great and still looks brand new. SO hope to run that thing to 200K with no problems.

Quick Reply: Hi-milage cars. Who's got 100k miles +