Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.
View Poll Results: which gas card should i keep?
chevron
64.91%
mobil/exxon
35.09%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

exxon/mobil vs chevron

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MarchMadnessisM has a spectacular aura aboutMarchMadnessisM has a spectacular aura aboutMarchMadnessisM has a spectacular aura about
Re: exxon/mobil vs chevron

i use shell
Old 08-30-2007
Registered!!

94 LX is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing but amocco(BP) in all cars I've ever driven.
Old 08-30-2007
Registered!!

WVU00si is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 94 LX
Nothing but amocco(BP) in all cars I've ever driven.
I've used BP Premium for years, I'll go to Sunoco if I can't find one though.
Old 08-30-2007
Registered!!

BlackieEM2 will become famous soon enough

to be honest, i have to say chevron, even ppl at the Honda Dealership says so, cuz they say, ppl who use chervon gas, their injectors have less carbon built up and such other stuff.
Old 08-30-2007
Registered!!

WVU00si is an unknown quantity at this point

No Chevrons in PA :/
Old 10-21-2007
Registered!!

Dticalman81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't 76 Unocal or Mobil the best gasoline?
Old 10-22-2007
Registered!!

Johnold is an unknown quantity at this point

I've switched over to SHELL gas now (93).

I've got an 07 Si (coupe) now and I have to use premium gas.

I read that SHELL is a more better top tier gas anyways.
Old 11-08-2007
Registered!!

gmag21 will become famous soon enoughgmag21 will become famous soon enough

comon now they use mobil 1 in nascar and on the space shuttle... i think they kno wut there doing haha
Old 11-08-2007
Registered!!

mauri503rida is an unknown quantity at this point

in my opinion i think chevron is the best. has anybody in here tried 100 octane before or heard of it ?
Old 11-01-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by emdude4
thats it damn gas out here in cali is runin 3.44. makes me feel great for owning a civic though
California uses a different blend of gas altogether than other states. That is why Cali gas in more expensive.

Also most states use different winter and summer blends. So the summer blend is also more expensive.

76 buys most of it's additives from chevron so their quality is similar. But I would go with Chevron for sure over Exxon/mobil.

To bad there are no Chevrons out her in Jersey
Old 11-01-2010
Registered!!

Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Nakattk
Does the higher octane make our cars run worse? I know it's a noob Q, but I was just wondering.
The octane rating has to do with the compression ratio of your engine. Generally speaking, you only need 91 if you are running around a 11:1 ratio or higher. The manufacturer does reccomend premium for my 1999 Si that runs a 10.6:1 compression ratio. But lower end civics use lower compression and 87should be fine.

Use what the manufacturer reccomends. Compression is not the only factor in what type of gas to use. For instance my motorcycle runs 12.1:1 compression and reccomends 87 octane.

If you put higher octane than it needs it will not hurt it. If you put lower octane than it needs it can hurt it.
Old 11-01-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I thought I was coming to this thread to yell at a newb for bumping old threads..

But your not a newb?
Old 11-01-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

someone prolly voted to bump the thread
Old 11-02-2010
Registered!!

Hmm that's weird. I didn't look at the date when I posted. It was in the new post search for some reason. Must have been a glitch!
Old 11-02-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, that means someone voted. When you vote on a poll, it'll bump it without saying who it was. It'll just say who the last person that physically posted in the thread.
Old 11-02-2010
Registered!!

Oh I see. Well it's good ressurect old threads sometimes. I am suprised at how misinformed some are about fuel. I guess that's why we join forums to begin with.
Old 11-02-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

chevron and citgo are the best by far, then distant second is exxon/mobil and philips66, way at the bottom are texaco and shell. i should read that source again but i think this is correct. i always use chevron when possible. not all gas is the same.
Old 11-02-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Thanks for the info Riceboy.

I only fill up at Petro-Can, their regular gas is rated at 89 octance, instead of 87 like everywhere else. Chevron would be my second choice.

How much are you guys paying for gas, a filled up at $1.15 a liter today?
Old 11-02-2010
Administrator
Administrator

$2.89/gallon over here
Old 11-02-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
$2.89/gallon over here
...If gas thats what gas cost here I'd buy a Hummer, just because I could afford it.
Old 11-02-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MoeGalvez is an unknown quantity at this point

I use BP, RaceTrac, and Chevron, no difference at all; but when using Shell or Mobil/Exxon, my mpg goes down, way down, like 30% down.
Old 11-03-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

pfffff i'll let you guys know my secret formula, so you can go as fast as me. i do like 25% shell 91, 50% BP 86, and 25% nos energy drink. works every time! i drive like mega fast. my civic can even hit 70mph!
Old 11-03-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

In one thread your suggesting someone cut the roof off their car to go faster, and in this thread your talking about giving your car energy drinks?

If it weren't Tuesday, I'd swear you were drunk!
Old 11-11-2010

mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

hahaha, lol. maybe i was... =D. i'm sure everyone knew i was joking. but the cut off roof would work (just saying is all). XD
Old 11-11-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gmag21
comon now they use mobil 1 in nascar and on the space shuttle... i think they kno wut there doing haha
Really? They use gasoline as fuel on the space shuttle? And unleaded gas in Nascar? lol

That stuff is not even comparable to what we put in our cars, and on a whole different level of refinement.
Old 11-11-2010

i thought the space shuttle used liquid oxygen and someth'in?
Old 11-11-2010
Registered!!

^ I know that the first stage is solid fuel like a model rocket uses.