Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.
View Poll Results: which gas card should i keep?
chevron
64.91%
mobil/exxon
35.09%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

exxon/mobil vs chevron

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ichiban is an unknown quantity at this point
I only use Shell or Chevron. Exxon/Mobil is always more expensive for crappier gas.
Old 08-28-2005
Registered!!

dma001 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have both cards, too, but I've only been using Chevron or Shell lately. It's gotten very hard to find a Mobil or Exxon where I live, so I got the Chevron and Shell/Texaco cards.
Old 08-28-2005
Registered!!

aznrocka is an unknown quantity at this point
Which ever is cheaper, which ever gives u more rebate back for using the card, and whichever is more convenient...i use to use exxon/mobil b/c it was like a mile from where i use to live...now that i moved, i use chevron b/c its like 2 blocks, it's the cheapest around here, and i get 5% cash back
Old 07-07-2006
Registered!!

emdude4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by NaSh123
maybe becuz your car got used to chevron mobile gearbox....but what do the rest of you think about chevron / shell they are both the same price in my area 2.47 per gallon...
thats it damn gas out here in cali is runin 3.44. makes me feel great for owning a civic though
Old 07-09-2006
Registered!!

Nakattk is an unknown quantity at this point
I used Shell till i kept on hearing about bad gas (water), and it messing up peoples cars. Now I use Sam's gas cause it's american gas. Venesualins own shell and texaco.
Old 07-09-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
considering that exxon/mobil are not on the list of top tier gas retailers ... I'll have to go w/ chevron.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

mobil is a trash company anyway.
Old 07-09-2006
Registered!!

7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice
Chevron for me.

What about Costco gas? haha
Old 07-11-2006
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future
i like sunoco.
Old 07-11-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
love quick trip & there coffee!

Chevron!!!
Old 07-11-2006
Registered!!

Valdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to all
I cant use anything else but chevron 89 or the car runs like pOOPoo. I dont know Y either.
Old 07-11-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
^ I noticed that 89 chevron worked really, really well with my d17.
Old 07-13-2006
I'll flip out and kill people.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
modoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questioned
i use valero (aka diamond shamrock) :GASP:
or anywhere that is a big brand... shell, chevron, etc
gas is gas until i see scientific proof. top tier probably means they paid someone off, and i never notice ANY difference with what i use, unless i up the octane; then it runs like a slug
Old 07-13-2006
Registered!!

porcChop is an unknown quantity at this point
Lucky Me,

I live in canada
I go to SUNOCO

94 Octane
Old 07-13-2006
Registered!!

Does the higher octane make our cars run worse? I know it's a noob Q, but I was just wondering.
Old 07-14-2006
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Nakattk
Does the higher octane make our cars run worse? I know it's a noob Q, but I was just wondering.

NO, it does nothing at all for the car. If you use higher octane over a long time you will get lots of carbon and crap in the enginer and possibly plug up your cat, but agian, you're talking 10,000's of miles on 90's octane gas.

But short answer: it does nothing better or worse than 87.

It has been known to make your car faster though, but that is only because your wallet is lighter.
Old 07-14-2006
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
i laugh at everyone who puts high octane in there civics, unless you are swapped or boosted
Old 07-14-2006
Registered!!

Thanks good to know.
Old 07-16-2006
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
^^^ Informative.

[Note] Post above this was deleted.

Last edited by ramcosca; 07-16-2006 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-16-2006
Registered!!

MarkieMark will become famous soon enough
CHEVRON but since gas prices gone up im stuck with arco.
87 is the way to go.
Old 07-16-2006
Registered!!

Johnold is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been using Mobil gas. 93 high octane. I know alot of people say thats it's pointless to use the HIGHEST (93) gas for a civic. but i like to use the 93 premium gas for MY civic. but nontheless. i use MOBIL. I never really knew that there was a difference in how gas would make a car run if it had techron in it.

is this true? cause i can switch from MOBIL 93 octane to CHEVRON 93 octane. i don't use anything less than 93 octane. and NO my car isn't boosted or swapped. just a 2002 civic Ex (manual)
Old 07-26-2006
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Johnold
I've been using Mobil gas. 93 high octane. I know alot of people say thats it's pointless to use the HIGHEST (93) gas for a civic. but i like to use the 93 premium gas for MY civic. but nontheless. i use MOBIL. I never really knew that there was a difference in how gas would make a car run if it had techron in it.

is this true? cause i can switch from MOBIL 93 octane to CHEVRON 93 octane. i don't use anything less than 93 octane. and NO my car isn't boosted or swapped. just a 2002 civic Ex (manual)

Your car will only run better if it is dirty, then the cleaners will clean it out. But the Techron in Shell gas isn't enough to do anything, you would need to add some more. You may really want to consider adding a cleaner like FP60 or the Red Line cleaner into you gas because consistant use of high octane fuel in a low compression engine generally results with exsive carbon build up. If you clean the engine slowly using these cleaners, then you will only have to worry about your cat, because often that carbon that passes through the engine will start to plug your cat up and you will slowly loose power until your car simply can not flow enoguh air to run properly or the mesh ceramic support in the cat will give out and you'll destroy the inside of the cat.
Old 07-26-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
when you say "plug up" your cat...

How can I tell if I have a pluged cat or bad cat????

O' how long do cats usuly last???

THANKS IN ADVACE!
Old 07-27-2006
Registered!!

Tnsmongoose is an unknown quantity at this point
chevron
Old 07-27-2006
Registered!!

MAX_NO_KIHON is an unknown quantity at this point
There are only two pipes that run across cali and the rest of the US. it's all the same fuel. Just different additives so the fuel companies can sell their name. The additives only effect 2% of the fuel which is not much. It's generic fuel. I use Mobile the most cuz it's the most convenient.
Old 07-27-2006
Registered!!

mkingk2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Your car will only run better if it is dirty, then the cleaners will clean it out. But the Techron in Shell gas isn't enough to do anything, you would need to add some more. You may really want to consider adding a cleaner like FP60 or the Red Line cleaner into you gas because consistant use of high octane fuel in a low compression engine generally results with exsive carbon build up. If you clean the engine slowly using these cleaners, then you will only have to worry about your cat, because often that carbon that passes through the engine will start to plug your cat up and you will slowly loose power until your car simply can not flow enoguh air to run properly or the mesh ceramic support in the cat will give out and you'll destroy the inside of the cat.
Mind showing some proof that higher octane gas leaves more deposits than lower octane gas in low compression vehicles?
Thanks

What Octane Rating is:
To keep things simple, Octane Rating is the rate at which gasoline reduces compression explosion. See, when your engine squirts a little gas in a cylinder, compresses it, and then it a spark goes off. If your octane rating is too low, the heat generated from the compression may ignite the gas prematurely and cause a "knocking" or "pinging" which is damaging to your engine.

To combat knocking and pinging, gas manufactures have made some gases that don't convert from liquid to vapor form as fast, thus helping car owners not damage their engines.

Higher Octane Gas has more detergents though!:
Yes it does, but thats also because higher octane gas leaves more crap in your engine. With higher octane gases, not all the gas vaporizes before the spark, leaving some carbon atoms in your engine. A lot of gas dealers put EXTRA detergent in higher octane gases so people don't actually damage their engine from paying more. All gasolines have to meet a reasonable federal standard for detergents, you can also pay about $6 and get a carbon cleaner from an auto store to clean your engine.

Exceptions:
The only real exception is if your engine is DESIGNED for high compression. A lot of more expensive cars have more powerful engines that use higher compression to help achieve that power. If they don't get the higher octane gas, they may get "knocking or pinging" which will decrease performance and damage their engine. So... read your manual if you got a high performance vehicle.

For all other cars, they're designed for 87' gas.

In fact, the higher octane gases have been proven to be lower performance because of two factors:
a) Less gas is vaporized before the spark hits.
b) More detergents = less hydrocarbons = less Energy.

So do yourself, and your car a favor, switch over to lower octane gas and stay away from bullshit gasoline companies trying to make you believe octane is related to power, it's not.

If you don't believe me, just search the internet for "higher octane gas" and you'll find hundreds of references I read, or if you don't care about $100 or more a year, I don't care about your money. I'm just trying to help the ignorant learn, because I too once didn't know about this.

(This is the first of a many threads I plan on creating debunking socially excepted norms, I recommend all users at least look for them, and read them and make their own judgements.... It would be cool if other's did the same!)

Sources:
http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/b/...conversion.htm
http://autorepair.about.com/library/.../aa060504a.htm
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/041008.html
This is to help prove his point.

Last edited by mkingk2; 07-27-2006 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

Johnold is an unknown quantity at this point
well i've been using 93 premium octane gas for maybe a full year now and my car is running fine now. it's not giving me problems (thank god) and it runs smooth and clean.

Ex models can use 93 octane. my manual says i can use a higher octane gas.

I haven't used anything lower than 93 since i've had my car. and i got it about a year ago.

^WOW^!, wrote that a WHILE ago LOL!!!. I have an 07 Si (coupe) now and I have no choice now BUT to run 93 octane.

Last edited by Johnold; 06-03-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-04-2007
Registered!!

-SIC CIVIC- is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: exxon/mobil vs chevron

I owned a Chevron gas station a few years back, so of course I was very loyal, even when I was away from my station and needed gas, it was always Chevron. After I sold the store, I was still loyal to chevron, after awhile I was less loyal, and was going other, more conveniant locations. Every time I did I def. noticed a diffrence. I do and always will use chevron gasolione unless I have no other choice.
Old 06-04-2007
Registered!!

Syke Fu will become famous soon enough

I only run shell in my car. It's what i used since i drove it off the lot.

Last edited by Syke Fu; 06-04-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-30-2007
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute

shell/BP evry day a lil better!
Old 08-27-2007
Registered!!

lefty976 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gas for Less 87 octane, it's the cheapest for me!

Quick Reply: exxon/mobil vs chevron