I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

*** The big I.C.E. & Electrical sticky (DIY's, links, POSTING GUIDELINES, more) ***

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
*** The big I.C.E. & Electrical sticky (DIY's, links, POSTING GUIDELINES, more) ***

Short of having a bunch of DIY's stickied to the top of the forum, I figure it would be best if there were 1 thread that contained links to all of the other DIY guides for the forum. I am going to leave the head unit install up at the top though because I think that is the most important one. If you make or come across a DIY to add to the list, PM me and I will make it happen.

** NEW ** Sirius Starmate Receiver Install (New Generation)Author: silver_surfer
** NEW ** Relay Wiring Author: MegaHurtz
Head Unit Install Author: MegaHurtz
Sunvisor LCD Install Author: MegaHurtz
Sound Deadening Author: mohawkboom
Box Carpeting Author: Mystic3030
Fiberglass Kickpanels Author: WhiteRabbit
Custom Spare Tire Well Enclosure Author: Branden Wyman
Removing Door Panel and Adding New Speakers Author: Blue Impulse
Installing Rear Speakers Author: mohawkboom
Amplifier Wiring Author: Dmitri
Custom trunk w/spare tire access Author: diskreet
Mounting Sirius Starmate Reciever Author: OldNBold
Less Glare Head Unit Install Author: LayinLo
Fabricating a Touch Screen Into the DashAuthor: J187
Head Unit Relocation Author: J187
Full DIY 7" Monitor and Head Unit Relocation Author: flyguy050
Rear Speaker Install in a Sedan Author: yourpalmike
Push Button Starter w/o S2000 Button Author: diskreet
Front door panel removal and speaker installation Author: Europort

I am going to stick 1 DIY each month as a "DIY of the month" type of thing so people can see some really awesome DIY's without seeing the same old crap stickied over and over again and without having to look for one. If you have one you want to nominate, either yours or somebody elses, send it to me via PM and I will consider it

---

Now if you STILL have a question and can't find the answer here, there are a ton of sites out there to get you in the right direction... here is a list of some of the most popular. Thanks to LudlamTheory for this one...

Basic Car Audio Electronics - Basic Car Audio Electronics - This site has it all. Everything you could ever ask is discussed here, but yet its extremely easy to understand here.

Eddie Runner's site: Installers tech pages - Has some interesting articles about interesting stuff

Car Audio Usenet FAQ - rec.audio.car Frequently Asked Questions: Table of Contents - Lotsa basic information

Crossover Design Calculators - Crossover Design Calculators - For those that want to make their own passive crossovers

The Polyfill Article - http://www.win.net/audtatious/audio/fiber.html - Learn exactly how much box stuffing to use for your desired enclosure and what box stuffing really does for enclosures

Car Audio Forum - CarAudioForum.com - The Car Audio Forum - Forum and chat room, chat room is owned and run by our own whiterabbit (known as semi in there). Feel free to stop by and watch the freakshow

Elite Car Audio - EliteCarAudio.com : Your one stop resource for mobile audio and electronics on the net. - Tightassed high end audio junkies. They get annoying and stuck up on the forum, but they know their stuff quite well

Sound Illusions - CarStereos.Org / SoundIllusions.Net - Another good site

Port Tuning Calculator - Box Tuning Calculator - A simple port tuning calculator that I made that gives you a tuning frequency for a square or round ported box

The12volt - Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers - Another great resource rich site with tons of information, including a wiring database

Canadian Car Audio - Canadian Car Audio - Canada’s #1 Car Audio Forum - Canadian based car audio message board. Another very informative forum with lots of information on local stuff for us Canucks

Last edited by MegaHurtz; 01-08-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2006
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Courtesy of J187, here are some guidelines to posting in this section of the forum (with some revisions/additions courtesy of yours truly):

I can't be the only one here getting a little tiny bit annoyed with all the thread titles like, "install", "head unit","Help","These wires" etc. So, I’ve thrown together a small list of things to be conscious of when you are posting here.

Descriptive thread titles. Using descriptive titles not only saves people who don't know anything about the subject from having to open and read a post to find that out, but it also increases the liklihood that those of us that do know how to help you will bother to read your post in the first place -WIN/WIN Everyone here would probably open and read a thread that says "voice coils" But many of us would be horrified to find "Can someone please explain how a voice coil, as an electromagnet, acts with a perminate magnet to fluctuate back and forth and generate air pressure levels?" in the body of the post.

Include details of your car. Yup, its a Civic. We know that. But these cars have variances in them between year, model and body style. lots are different, speaker sizes, locations, dash trim etc. Please be as specific as possible.

Include details of your system. When posting questions regarding your audio setup or part of it, please include as much detail as possible about what you have. Reference each component of the system and all the information you know about it, IE model #s, power ratings, impedence, version numbers, wiring configurations, etc. I can't stress to you how important it is to know all of these things in order to help you.

Include details of your budget. When posting questions for advice on what to buy, please be sure to tell us what your budget is. Tell us the maximum you will spend, the minimum you expect to spend and what your optimum expenditure would be. It makes no sense for us to suggest things out of your price range.

Include details of your preference. Tell us what type of music you listen to, and what you are looking to get out of your new purchase or setup. IE, "I listen to rap and I'm looking for 2 of the lowest playing subs I can get for around $200 ea. I can spend up to $250 ea."

Include details of your abilities. It will help us give you advice if we know what you are capable of. IE building boxes, fiberglass work, head unit installation, wiring, etc. Or maybe you are at the mercy of Local shops.

Include Photos. Any time you can include a visual aid with your question it is helpful. Pictures speak a thousand words. You can upload pictures within a certain bandwidth right to 7thgen.com in the member’s rides section, or use a photo hosting site like www.photobucket.com

Descriptive thread titles. I am going to start enforcing the DESCRIPTIVE THREAD TITLES guideline more. I see a lot of these in here and for the most part I let them slide, but enough is enough and I will lock them if I feel the title is not descriptive enough

Bypassing mobile video safety mechanisms. Regarding questions/threads requesting information on how to bypass the safety on in-dash video monitors. This is quite obviously illegal, and to help keep the forum safe and informative, these threads will be locked without warning, even if the video bypass was not the original topic of discussion. It simply will not be condoned, nor will anything else that is deemed wrong or illegal, period.

No offense to anyone, just trying to make the world a better place