I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

DIY: Sirius Starmate Install (New Generation)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006
Pretty friggin old-school member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
silver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of light
DIY: Sirius Starmate Install (New Generation)

This is just my method of installation. There are probably a handfull of ways to do it and have it look fine.

I thought about mounting it to the power outlet plate, and relocating the outlet to the plate where my shifter is located. I decided against that at this time. (i dont really want to break another one) and i may want fogs later.

Okay. The Unit I am talking about is this:

It comes with a plate you can remove it from that I used. I wanted to keep it removeable incase I ever want to listen to it inside, and so it doesn't get jacked.

This is also assuming you have an aftermarket headunit, and you have the Installation kit with the lower pocket.

The only parts you need, are 4, 4.5 inch by 1/4 bolts (and nuts)that i bought at Lowes for less than 2 dollars.

First, You have to make sure the head of the bolt is not too big to fit in the plates groove.

once you have found your parts, you can begin to drill.

I decided to only drill 2 holes at this time, because I wasn't sure if they would clear the lower lip of the mount kit.

Next, I drilled THREE holes in the backside of the lower pocket. 2 for the bolts of course, and a bigger one for the wires to be inserted.

Next I mounted the plate to the front of the kit, and screwed the bolts down in the back.

You may have to play with it a bit to get it to sit where you want it. This is what it looks like after everything is mounted.

The only thing I was worried about is that my flip down headunit faceplate wouldn't clear it, but it had plenty of space. I didn't take a pic of it back in the car because it was dark. I will take a few tomorrow to show the rest.
Old 01-24-2006
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
looks good! added to the DIY list!
Old 01-24-2006

silver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of light
thanks!
Old 01-24-2006
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
that looks really slick. The best mount is the one you never see
Old 01-25-2006

Okay here is what it looks like in the car..

Here you can see the slide down clear the unit

and the good old anti-theft shot

Old 01-25-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
thats a good match
Old 01-25-2006
Registered!!

really nice, you goin to use the ip-bus aux in to get a better connection?
Old 01-25-2006

if you mean for the Sirius, probably not. I have heard from numerous places that its sounds better wireless
Old 01-25-2006
Registered!!

i guess so, all the cars i've done sound much better with a direct connection
Old 01-26-2006
Registered!!

Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
That looks really slick, great job I would rather put it where the Cig outlet is because it would be too busy with it up there, but nonetheless that looks really good

Old 01-26-2006

Thanks. And yea I thought pretty hard about putting it where the cig outlet is, I just wasn't too ready to attempt to move the lighter where i wanted it
Old 01-26-2006
Myspace Gangster

russdogg is a glorious beacon of lightrussdogg is a glorious beacon of lightrussdogg is a glorious beacon of lightrussdogg is a glorious beacon of lightrussdogg is a glorious beacon of light
Wow, looks good! So you slammed some big ol' lag bolts all the way through, pretty cool. I bet that is freakin solid in there, haha.

I have the pioneer sirius module so i can control it with the stereo. I think it sounds better through the ip-bus. It sound a bit soft coming through the fm modulator but some like that...

Last edited by russdogg; 01-26-2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-27-2006

I don't know, I may get it. It is a bit softer than the FM radio
Old 01-27-2006
Registered!!

did you adjust the audio level for the starmate?
Old 01-30-2006

yes, its all the way up
Old 06-04-2006
Registered!!

rbf3511 is an unknown quantity at this point
i did mine a little differently

i made it where the audio comes though the headunit via the tape button. took a little work to make it do that, but in the end the audio quality is 100 times better than the fm modulator option.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01711.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	66560  
Old 06-04-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
wow that is super clean. how did you ever cut that piece out so perfectly.
Old 06-04-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
wow that is super clean. how did you ever cut that piece out so perfectly.
i wish i was the one that made that peice, but i didn't. there is a sirius store that sells that part, except it is too big to fit in the stock hole, so i trimmed it a little to squeeze in
Old 06-04-2006
Registered!!

free_refil will become famous soon enoughfree_refil will become famous soon enough
Ya FM modulators don't have the sound quality of a direct connection. You're modulating the signal than demodulating it in the stereo, any type of mod/demod setup is going to have loss in SQ... Direct connection will be better.
Old 06-04-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by free_refil
Ya FM modulators don't have the sound quality of a direct connection. You're modulating the signal than demodulating it in the stereo, any type of mod/demod setup is going to have loss in SQ... Direct connection will be better.

thats exactly why i have mine going from the audio output from the sirius starmate directly into the radio(tape input feed)