Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General 7th Gen (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/186-general-7th-gen)
-   -   D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/186-general-7th-gen/371700-d17vtecpower-threads-consolidated-how-member-should-not-behave.html)

RobertD 05-10-2018 09:30 AM

Re: Will an alternator fry if it’s overloaded?

generally the battery will just drain. at some point it will cause your electronics to be unstable, or the inverter to turn off.

D17VTECPOWER 05-10-2018 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by RobertD (Post 4744985)
generally the battery will just drain. at some point it will cause your electronics to be unstable, or the inverter to turn off.

Thanks. So the alternator won’t be damaged from being overloaded? I have an Optima Yellowtop, so it has plenty of reserve capacity.

RobertD 05-10-2018 09:45 AM

you're not going to overload it at idle. maybe if you have the car revving to 6k and running a refrigerator

i upgraded the 75A one in my ford to 140A because from the factory using the headlights, heater, and radio use more than the alternator would make at low rpm. i needed more because i added an electric fan. you might consider it if you need more low rpm amps. i just welded up a new bracket and rewired it. alternators are pretty easy to transplant. 2 bolts, 3 wires. one wire to the PDC for voltage sensing, one to the ignition, and one big wire to the battery.

D17VTECPOWER 05-10-2018 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by RobertD (Post 4744990)
you're not going to overload it at idle. maybe if you have the car revving to 6k and running a refrigerator

i upgraded the 75A one in my ford to 140A because from the factory using the headlights, heater, and radio use more than the alternator would make at low rpm. i needed more because i added an electric fan. you might consider it if you need more low rpm amps. i just welded up a new bracket and rewired it. alternators are pretty easy to transplant. 2 bolts, 3 wires. one wire to the PDC for voltage sensing, one to the ignition, and one big wire to the battery.

Thanks.

GolNat 05-10-2018 05:53 PM

Re: Which pistons should I get?

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER (Post 4744888)
It's definitely internal. I've heard this before, and it's not good.

Start simple next time, then dive into internal engine problems.

D17VTECPOWER 05-10-2018 06:02 PM

Re: Which pistons should I get?

Originally Posted by GolNat (Post 4745017)
Start simple next time, then dive into internal engine problems.

Yup. Lesson learned.

D17VTECPOWER 05-14-2018 08:26 AM

I need a PCM

I need a PCM with an immobilizer and key for my 2005 Civic with a D17A2 VTEC engine and an automatic transmission. But for some reason, the dealer can’t flash the PCM, so I need the immobilizer and key also so I don’t have to have it flashed. So if anyone has a PCM, immobilizer and key for a 2004-2005 Civic VTEC with an automatic transmission, let me know. I need it ASAP. Thanks in advance!

D17VTECPOWER 05-14-2018 09:46 AM

Is driving with the transmission connector unplugged safe?

As you know, my transmission has been acting very strangely. After it downshifted very hard to first gear going 50 MPH for no reason and almost got me rear ended, I am understandably worried about driving the car. So what I did is I unplugged the black connector for the transmission from the PCM so it can’t do something dumb and cause an accident or destroy something. The trans now only has 2nd and 4th gear and I have to shift it manually, but at least it’s predictable now. So my question is if driving with the transmission connector unplugged is safe for the transmission. I know it’s not ideal, but at least the PCM can’t downshift to first gear on the highway or something stupid, so it seems like a better option than letting the PCM control the shifting until I can find a different PCM. Would you agree?

ezone 05-14-2018 11:31 AM

Re: I need a PCM

Call local lock shops, see if any have a scanner that can program Honda immobilizer keys and system.

If so, take your used PCM and car to them and see if they can program it.

ezone 05-14-2018 11:31 AM

Re: Is driving with the transmission connector unplugged safe?

Probably.

D17VTECPOWER 05-14-2018 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4745135)
Call local lock shops, see if any have a scanner that can program Honda immobilizer keys and system.

If so, take your used PCM and car to them and see if they can program it.

Hmm, good idea. I thought only the dealer could do it. Thanks for the idea!

D17VTECPOWER 05-14-2018 11:33 AM

Re: Is driving with the transmission connector unplugged safe?

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4745136)
Probably.

Probably safe?

ezone 05-14-2018 11:50 AM

Aren't you in or near a big city? Better chance of finding one who has the right equipment there.

I'm in a little podunk burg, our local lock shop only has the stuff to program GM/Ford/Chrysler keys.

D17VTECPOWER 05-14-2018 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4745141)
Aren't you in or near a big city? Better chance of finding one who has the right equipment there.

I'm in a little podunk burg, our local lock shop only has the stuff to program GM/Ford/Chrysler keys.

I’m near Memphis, so I may be able to find someone besides the dealer to flash the new PCM. If that’s the case, would a JDM PCM flash the same as a USDM one? Thanks for the idea. I’ll call around when I get home.

ezone 05-14-2018 01:14 PM

would a JDM PCM flash the same as a USDM one?
Why do you have a jdm pcm?

D17VTECPOWER 05-14-2018 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4745143)

I don’t have one. But they are about the same price as the USDM ones, and as I understand, the JDM computers usually have more aggressive ignition timing and fuel maps, so the engine performs better. I’m just asking. If it’ll work, why not? It’s the same price, and I may get a little more power.

D17VTECPOWER 05-15-2018 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4745143)

Could you please let me know if I can use a JDM pcm? I need to get this fixed ASAP. Thanks.

D17VTECPOWER 05-15-2018 08:28 AM

Can I use a JDM PCM?

This is something that I need to know ASAP, but no one seems to have an answer for. What happens if I put a JDM PCM in my 2005 Civic? Will everything work? I have a concern about my OBD port not working. I would think that OBD2 is the same here as anywhere else in the world with the exception of emissions testing, but I don’t know. If it’s just the emissions testing, that’s fine. There aren’t inspections here anyway. However, I am not okay with not being able to use my OBD port. I have heard that JDM computers are useless here since no one could even communicate with it to flash it, but I’m not sure how that works. For all I know, JDM cars may not even have an immobilizer. I have even heard that JDM cars don’t have any OBD port at all, but I honestly have no clue. So my question is weather this will work, and if so, what, if anything, wouldn’t work? Thank you very much to anyone with any information on this!

ezone 05-15-2018 08:38 AM

I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work the same as any other, assuming a JDM PCM incorporates the immobilizer system like ours does.

I guess you'll find out when you plug it in or have someone try to program it.

D17VTECPOWER 05-15-2018 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4745181)
I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work the same as any other, assuming a JDM PCM incorporates the immobilizer system like ours does.

I guess you'll find out when you plug it in or have someone try to program it.

I guess I’ll buy one with a return policy and be the first to try it. I don’t even know if it’ll plug in, but I guess I’ll try it and report back. But if it won’t program, I don’t know if it has to do with the car or the PCM since a USDM one supposedly wouldn’t flash either. Thanks for your help!

ezone 05-15-2018 09:23 AM

since a USDM one supposedly wouldn’t flash either.
I think your only problem was the person at the dealer didn't know enough about the systems to get the job done.

D17VTECPOWER 05-15-2018 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4745183)
I think your only problem was the person at the dealer didn't know enough about the systems to get the job done.

Maybe. But they let me take it back and try again with a different ECU, and that one supposedly flash either. The dealership seemed to be full of idiots though.

ezone 05-15-2018 12:09 PM

Re: Can I use a JDM PCM?

Just buy a USA PCM and be done with it.

EDIT: Or take the new used PCMs you already bought to a different dealer for programming.

D17VTECPOWER 05-15-2018 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4745187)
Just buy a USA PCM and be done with it.

EDIT: Or take the new used PCMs you already bought to a different dealer for programming.

I took back the PCMs I had since they wouldn’t flash. I bought a JDM PCM on Ebay for $15, so if it doesn’t work, worst case scenario, I’m out $15. Is it true that a JDM PCM has a more aggressive tune and makes more power?

ezone 05-15-2018 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER (Post 4745188)
Is it true that a JDM PCM has a more aggressive tune and makes more power?

I guess you'll have the answer for us in a short while.

D17VTECPOWER 05-15-2018 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4745190)
I guess you'll have the answer for us in a short while.

I probably will notice a power increase. However, it’s running like crap with this PCM, so a functional USDM PCM may make just as much of a difference.

mcnoople 05-15-2018 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER (Post 4745191)

I probably will notice a power increase. However, it’s running like crap with this PCM, so a functional USDM PCM may make just as much of a difference.

JDM PCM would be programmed to run on the fuel available in japan. The standard octane fuel is not the same as the standard US fuel.

D17VTECPOWER 05-15-2018 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by mcnoople (Post 4745193)
JDM PCM would be programmed to run on the fuel available in japan. The standard octane fuel is not the same as the standard US fuel.

So you’re saying that the tune likely is more aggressive, so it may require 93 octane gas? If so, that’s not a problem.

Slumpertcivic 05-15-2018 09:49 PM

well since your not running the higher compression version the octane won’t matter...

Wankenstein 05-16-2018 01:04 PM

Just be aware if the JDM PCM works your engine will then on be rated in GP: Godzilla Power.