Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General 7th Gen (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/186-general-7th-gen)
-   -   D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/186-general-7th-gen/371700-d17vtecpower-threads-consolidated-how-member-should-not-behave.html)

ezone 06-25-2018 10:58 PM

Re: Can transmission oil be too cold?

It's fine.

D17VTECPOWER 06-26-2018 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4746908)
It's fine.

Thanks!

ezone 06-26-2018 08:37 PM

IMO Ideally you want the fluid to stay below around 200F. Unless and until you load it heavily, it sounds like the aux cooler will do that just fine.
If you really want to add some gear you could get a temp gauge for the ATF.

On newer cars the manufacturer now uses the heat exchanger as an ATF warmer too, it's not only a cooler.

D17VTECPOWER 06-26-2018 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4746934)
IMO Ideally you want the fluid to stay below around 200F. Unless and until you load it heavily, it sounds like the aux cooler will do that just fine.
If you really want to add some gear you could get a temp gauge for the ATF.

On newer cars the manufacturer now uses the heat exchanger as an ATF warmer too, it's not only a cooler.

Thanks. Is there a minimum acceptable temp too? I don't think anything is going to get too cold here in Memphis. :hgrin:

ezone 06-26-2018 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER (Post 4746941)
Thanks. Is there a minimum acceptable temp too? I don't think anything is going to get too cold here in Memphis. :hgrin:

Warmer fluid means better fuel efficiency too, that's a big reason for a fluid warmer. But too hot makes fluid break down quicker.

The trans works fine for Canadians at -40C and lower..... I bet they are kinda slow to shift when it's that cold though. Think about how long it would take to get trans fluid up to 200F if it's so damn cold your breath is freezing into ice cubes as you exhale.

Some manufacturers/models inhibit overdrive/lockup based on a temperature, most that I have encountered that do this are looking for coolant temp instead of trans fluid temp. Others use ATF temp data for other controls too.

D17VTECPOWER 06-27-2018 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4746944)
Warmer fluid means better fuel efficiency too, that's a big reason for a fluid warmer. But too hot makes fluid break down quicker.

The trans works fine for Canadians at -40C and lower..... I bet they are kinda slow to shift when it's that cold though. Think about how long it would take to get trans fluid up to 200F if it's so damn cold your breath is freezing into ice cubes as you exhale.

Some manufacturers/models inhibit overdrive/lockup based on a temperature, most that I have encountered that do this are looking for coolant temp instead of trans fluid temp. Others use ATF temp data for other controls too.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I know for a fact that my trans will unlock when the coolant temp gets below a certain temp, although I don't remember what it is. Somewhere around 150 IIRC.

D17VTECPOWER 06-28-2018 07:50 PM

AC pissing all over the floor

My car recently started pissing all over the passenger side floor when the AC is on. I jacked the POS up and looked at the drain and I didn't see any obstructions, but there isn't water coming out. Instead, it's pissing all over the inside of the car. :mad: So would it be safe to blow compressed air into the drain tube to try to unclog it? Thanks in advance.

Slumpertcivic 06-28-2018 11:08 PM

Re: AC pissing all over the floor

I was able to use a sand blast spray head hooked up to my compressor and I slipped the drain tube on the pickup and sucked out my blockage.

Wankenstein 06-29-2018 10:31 AM

Re: AC pissing all over the floor

Shop vac + DIY extension to not lose suction.

D17VTECPOWER 06-30-2018 06:19 PM

Voltage drop on blower motor wiring

The blower motor in my 2005 Civic seems to be performing poorly lately. By that, I mean it's not moving as much air as it should. I started by checking the cabin air filter, and it was clean. I then checked the voltage at the blower motor with the engine running and the fan on high. At the battery, the voltage was 14.5, but at the blower motor, the voltage is 10.4. That is not acceptable. I checked the voltage drop across the blower motor resister, and it is less than 100 milivolts, which is acceptable. I also noticed that the entire length of wire is quite hot, almost too hot to touch. So my question is how do I know if the wiring is bad, or if the blower motor is bad and drawing too much current, therefore causing a voltage drop? I checked the current draw with my current clamp, and it's drawing 17-18 amps on high. Is that normal, or is that too much? Thanks.

Slumpertcivic 06-30-2018 08:52 PM

Re: Voltage drop on blower motor wiring

Your backed up AC most likely got water into the blower.

There is a control transistor that may be failing and causing a issue as well. It actually is screwed into the ductwork so that the heat sink is in the air flow.

D17VTECPOWER 06-30-2018 09:04 PM

Re: Voltage drop on blower motor wiring

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic (Post 4747125)
Your backed up AC most likely got water into the blower.

There is a control transistor that may be failing and causing a issue as well. It actually is screwed into the ductwork so that the heat sink is in the air flow.

This issue has been going on since before the AC started backing up. I checked for voltage drop at the transistor, and it is under 100 milivolts. Is 17 to 18 amps too high? Basically, I'm not sure if the blower motor is drawing too much power, or if the wiring is bad. Any suggestions?

D17VTECPOWER 07-03-2018 02:54 PM

Re: Info about installing a JDM PCM in a USDM car

Originally Posted by nsrhonda89 (Post 4745482)
P0135 code try a narrowband o2 sensor from 01 to 03 civic and see what happens. I believed 2004 and 2005 civic uses a wideband o2 sensor.

I tried a standard o2 sensor, and it still sets the P0135 code. If I jumper the o2 sensor heater relay to force the heater on, the P0135 code is replaced with a P0132 code. Maybe the wiring is different? Any ideas?

D17VTECPOWER 07-03-2018 04:08 PM

I think this is the end of my transmission

Yesterday, my car wouldn't move at all from a stop. It acted like it was in neutral. Then D4 started flashing, and a P0730 code was set. I put the shifter in 2 and started out. However, the car lurches and doesn't want to move in 3rd gear, so I have to get up to 45 or so in 2nd gear and skip straight to 4th. Once it's moving in 4th gear, it does fine. Is it safe to drive it this way temporarily, and is it likely to completely fail and strand me? Thanks.

ezone 07-03-2018 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER (Post 4747247)
I tried a standard o2 sensor, and it still sets the P0135 code. If I jumper the o2 sensor heater relay to force the heater on, the P0135 code is replaced with a P0132 code. Maybe the wiring is different? Any ideas?

ALL you changed was the ECM?
Apparently it doesn't like being in your car.

Did the old ECM set codes like this, or was it too far gone to be able to recognize faults?

You may want a good wiring diagram for the car the ECM came from, and a parts catalog ........maybe you can look up sensor applications in an online NGK or DENSO worldwide catalog?

D17VTECPOWER 07-03-2018 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4747254)
ALL you changed was the ECM?
Apparently it doesn't like being in your car.

Did the old ECM set codes like this, or was it too far gone to be able to recognize faults?

You may want a good wiring diagram for the car the ECM came from, and a parts catalog ........maybe you can look up sensor applications in an online NGK or DENSO worldwide catalog?

All I changed was the PCM. I didn't get a harness because I was told I could not use a JDM engine harness because it's right hand drive, so the wires won't reach. Is that true? The old PCM didn't set upstream o2 sensor codes, but I don't know if it would set codes if there was a problem with an o2 sensor since it barely worked. Great idea to look up the sensor in a global catalog BTW. Then I'll at least know which sensor I need to use. I called Honda to see if they knew whicch sensor I needed, but they never heard of a Honda Stream, and they couldn't look it up.

ezone 07-03-2018 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER (Post 4747255)
All I changed was the PCM. I didn't get a harness because I was told I could not use a JDM engine harness because it's right hand drive, so the wires won't reach. Is that true?

F if I know. I fix LHD cars here. Honda doesn't sell RHD cars here. (but some are actually built here and shipped to other countries)

I called Honda to see if they knew whicch sensor I needed, but they never heard of a Honda Stream, and they couldn't look it up.
Right. Because we would never ever see that car in this country.

Slumpertcivic 07-03-2018 10:08 PM

Re: I think this is the end of my transmission

What’s left of your clutch packs is spinning themselves into oblivion and further clogging up your filter.

I am sure you could pull it apart and using the soles of some old tennis shoes rebuilt it..

Wankenstein 07-04-2018 05:34 AM

Re: I think this is the end of my transmission

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic (Post 4747261)
I am sure you could pull it apart and using the soles of some old tennis shoes rebuilt it..

Lol.

With all the CEL codes D17's car throws he should affectionately name it Code Blue: https://www.medicinenet.com/script/m...ticlekey=59953

D17...Jim Morrison has a diagnoses for your transmission:

D17VTECPOWER 07-04-2018 09:44 PM

Easiest way to change a trans?

So here's the problem: I need to change my trans, but I need to get it done quickly. I would like to pull the trans out the top, but that doesn't look possible to me unless I pull it with the motor. So I guess I have to take off the subframe and drop it out the bottom. But I don't have a lift and a transmission jack, and I'd really rather not drop the transmission on my head. I'm thinking that pulling the motor and trans out the top as one piece may be the easiest. Any ideas? How would you do it? Thanks in advance.

Colin42 07-04-2018 10:14 PM

Re: Easiest way to change a trans?

I pulled my 5 speed out the top, just had to remove the water passage on the block, not hard.

Otherwise if you want to go out the bottom you can loosen the subframe bolts and that will give you enough clearance.

Or if you have access to a cherry picker and feel like disconnecting all kinds of stuff then pull the engine and trans together.

​​​​

D17VTECPOWER 07-05-2018 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Colin42 (Post 4747303)
I pulled my 5 speed out the top, just had to remove the water passage on the block, not hard. ​​​

Will an auto come out the top too?

Colin42 07-05-2018 08:53 AM

Should, don't think they're much bigger, just a lot heavier

D17VTECPOWER 07-05-2018 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Colin42 (Post 4747316)
Should, don't think they're much bigger, just a lot heavier

Thanks, maybe that'll work then.

piano55man 07-05-2018 10:57 AM

Personally, i would pull the engine.
You should be able to pull it out in under 4 hours.

Everything is so much easier to work on with the engine out...it saves your knuckles and having to watch your vocabulary.:lol:

D17VTECPOWER 07-05-2018 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by piano55man (Post 4747319)
Personally, i would pull the engine.
You should be able to pull it out in under 4 hours.

Everything is so much easier to work on with the engine out...it saves your knuckles and having to watch your vocabulary.:lol:

So you would suggest pulling the engine and trans as one piece? Seems easy enough.

piano55man 07-05-2018 11:28 AM

Yes, pull all at one time.

Don't be scared of the wiring harness...Honda did a good job of only allowing enough wire to reach each sensor/plug. lay it over the passenger fender.

Here's the list of ancillary things i would remove before pulling the engine:
All the plastic intake crap...this is a given.
alternator
header
Battery
Pull radiator out for the extra bit of room...this also allows easier passage to remove the 4 ac bolts.
Unhook AC but leave it in the car.

D17VTECPOWER 07-05-2018 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by piano55man (Post 4747322)
Yes, pull all at one time.

Don't be scared of the wiring harness...Honda did a good job of only allowing enough wire to reach each sensor/plug. lay it over the passenger fender.

Here's the list of ancillary things i would remove before pulling the engine:
All the plastic intake crap...this is a given.
alternator
header
Battery
Pull radiator out for the extra bit of room...this also allows easier passage to remove the 4 ac bolts.
Unhook AC but leave it in the car.

Thanks a lot. I was just going to unhook the harness at the PCM and pull it through the firewall. Is there a reason to not?

piano55man 07-05-2018 01:05 PM

It's a pain in the buttocks....
It's easier to just lay the complete harness over the fender.

D17VTECPOWER 07-05-2018 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by piano55man (Post 4747326)
It's a pain in the buttocks....
It's easier to just lay the complete harness over the fender.

Pulling the harness through the firewall? I've done that before, it takes about 5 minutes.