Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

Help with my ticket! Ohio peeps, help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Well, good luck with it. But Ohio is a pain when it comes to cops (we have more staties then any other state).
Old 07-29-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
ok man...

i'm through......this is done..

i called the judge office again just now.....and he explained everything to me...

first of all...you are allowed to plea not guilty by mail such that u'll be assigned a NEW trial date.....therefore, you must come to the court or hire an attorney to represent yourself...

there's NO such thing as Trial by Written Declaration in Ohio. The person told me that some other state allow that to happen because they treat the offense differently.

In other state, they probably treat this kind of offense as Civil offense. However, in Ohio....grr....in Ohio...grrrrrrr...GRRRRR....they treat this offense as Criminal offense. No matter ur speeding, DUI, parking, etc, ur convicted with criminal offense. Therefore, the person to whom i talked to said, it doesn't make any sense to do the trial by written declaration because the officer won't be able to give their explanation (WTF??).

I told this person that the officer can write another declaration. However, he said that it's not the same game in Ohio....

basically in Ohio, no Trial by Written Declaration for criminal offense. if it's a civil offense, like if somebody hit you, then it's possible.

Last edited by zen_master; 07-29-2004 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-29-2004

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Ohio's harsh like that. Speeding is a minor misdeanor, I didn't know it was treated as a civil case anywhere. But yeah.... Ohio sucks when it comes to tickets.
Old 07-29-2004
Registered!!

518 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Dude don't you get it? The insurance companies check all BMVs!!! Guess what that includes ohio because ohio is in the US too!!! If you get a ticket in Florida (like I did) it doesn't go on my ohio licence, but some how my insurance still knows about it and charges me for it. It's amazing what they can do with computers now day, isn't it.
Dude, I was referring to the Written Not Guilty Plea.

Check this out and tell me who doesnt get it:

The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles does not record convictions of moving traffic violations by NYS non-commercial licensed drivers in other jurisdictions, except traffic offenses committed in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec, in Canada. Therefore, except for traffic convictions in Ontario and Quebec, out-of-state traffic convictions are not added to your New York State "violation point" driving record.
The insurance company based your premium on your points in your driving record. Since zen_master live in NY and such law in above quote is applicable to himself, he wont have any record. No record, no points, no higher insurance. I dont care or it doesnt matter if we have a computerized motor vehicles nowadays. They still wont show in your record if you are in NY state. Unless, I repeat, Unless the violation is committed in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec, in Canada. re-read the above quote.

Originally Posted by zen_master
no mannnnnnnnnn...

i DID get the fu(king ticket!!!

i said, i talked to the my insurance company customer service and ask them about this situation...about the out of state ticket and all the crap....however, i DID NOT tell her that i got the ticket...

i only said to her that IF i got the ticket, what's the situation..........

i did get the freakin ticket...or else, i won't write this whole thread...
My fault
Old 07-29-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 518
The insurance company based your premium on your points in your driving record. Since zen_master live in NY and such law in above quote is applicable to himself, he wont have any record. No record, no points, no higher insurance. I dont care or it doesnt matter if we have a computerized motor vehicles nowadays. They still wont show in your record if you are in NY state. Unless, I repeat, Unless the violation is committed in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec, in Canada. re-read the above quote.
ohhhhhh mannn............

I'm seriously crossing my fingers and pray and my insurance company WON'T know anything about this.......

this is actually the tricky part.......no records, no points, no higher insurance.........but the insurance company....as far as i know....doesn't rely on NYS DMV point system....they got their of "sniff-tracking" and "point" system of their own....

hopefully what 518 said will actually happen in my case... =)

any stories from other New Yorkers who got out-of-state speeding ticket?????
Old 07-29-2004

Okay, the whole insurance thing works like this: (i) Every insurance company will collect the BMV data from what ever state they are in. So I have progressive and they are in almost every state, so they get the BMV records from almost EVERY state. (ii) Since everything is done by computers now days if your name shows up on one another states BMV's, they will put that violation in their mainframe server and it will get put on your insurance's records. So if I live in NY and get a ticket in Ohio (assuming it gets to the BMV), it will still go onto my insuance regardless of the NY BMV. (iii) My rates go up once my contract is up for renewal.

So what it depends on is if Zen_master's insurance company offers insuance in Ohio and thus collects the BMV records from Ohio (NOT WHAT THE NY BMV SAYS).

518, you're thinking was correct about 15 years ago before the age of highspeed computers and everthing was paper driven. If you don't believe me, come to Ohio and get speeding ticket, if you have a big name insurance company, they'll find out.

The same thing about your BMV record holds here in Ohio, I get a ticket in Florida (and I did) the Ohio BMV doesn't care (mainly because they aren't going to get any money from it). So it doesn't go on my Ohio record. But then why did it get on my insurance? Because when my contract was up, Progressive ran my name in every BMV they could (including Florida) and found the ticket, even though the Ohio BMV had no record of it (and yes I went and paid 2 dollars to get my BMV report from Ohio and check to see if it said anything about the ticket - and it didn't)
Old 07-29-2004
Registered!!

^^^it is so fu(king sad to read it..............but...it's the fact..

anywho, my contract with the insurance company will hold up until october....well, this sucks. HOPEFULLY they won't know about it with the +$5 trick...

and.......yeah...now i don't feel that bad again for paying this ticket.......it's totally different compared to the day when i got the f**king ticket........

now i know every single detail about this ticket...all the traffic code and everything....i do also learned that unfortunely, i can't fight this ticket by Trial with Written Declaration.....

this is all thanks to you guys who helped me with all the research and support....thank you very much!!

wish me luck with my +$5 trick........

Last edited by zen_master; 07-29-2004 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-29-2004

Originally Posted by 518
The insurance company based your premium on your points in your driving record.

Not true. Progressive has their own point system. A speeding ticket under 25 MPH in Ohio is 2 pts. Yet my insuance company charged my with 5 pts for a 21 over and 2 pts for a 14 over.

Originally Posted by 518
Since zen_master live in NY and such law in above quote is applicable to himself, he wont have any record. No record, no points, no higher insurance.
Agian, not true. He now has a record in Ohio, right? So if his insurance company checks that, they now have two records on him.

Originally Posted by 518
I dont care or it doesnt matter if we have a computerized motor vehicles nowadays.
You still get tickets in a '70 Camero, and those point go on your record.

Originally Posted by 518
They still wont show in your record if you are in NY state. Unless, I repeat, Unless the violation is committed in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec, in Canada. re-read the above quote.
Right, they won't show up on your NEW YORK BMV record

Last edited by Jrfish007; 07-29-2004 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2004
Registered!!

it's NYS DMV...and Ohio BMV....hehehe ;-)
Old 07-29-2004

it's NYS DMV...and Ohio BMV....hehehe ;-)
Really.... what is the D for in DMV
Old 07-29-2004

Just curious Zen_master, which insuance company do you have?
Old 07-29-2004
Registered!!

D? Department of Motor Vehicle, right?

My insurance company? U know...the company which got tons of stupid ads......like the one with bald doctor turns up to be Mr. Geico insurance company.
Old 07-29-2004

D? Department of Motor Vehicle, right?
My bad...

My insurance company? U know...the company which got tons of stupid ads......like the one with bald doctor turns up to be Mr. Geico insurance company.

Well, they're in Ohio, so if it goes onto the Ohio BMV, Geico will probably know.
Old 07-29-2004
Registered!!

^^very unfortunate to hear that...............

however, if the trick is working...then...probably...........the ticket won't come up into BMV's computer, right?

Last edited by zen_master; 07-29-2004 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-29-2004
Registered!!

civic_khaos is an unknown quantity at this point
after reading everything here... zen - just pay the ticket. don't do the bull$hit of paying the extra money in hopes of it not going through - it's not worth it.

after you pay the ticket, wait to see if your insurance company does indeed find out. if they do, take the Defensive Driving course - it will take 10% off of your insurance. It doesn't matter if you don't have any points on your license or not, you can still take the course.

why are you so scared about 1 ticket showing up w/ your insurance anyway? granted, it will be on there for 39 months, but you can take the defensive driver course every 18 months. it's only 1 ticket, it shouldn't increase it that much. after finding out that the 'NOT GUILTY' plea wouldn't work that much, I'd just pay the fine and get on w/ my life (just my opinion though).
Old 07-29-2004
Registered!!

well man, that's what you call..........erh....everybody got their first time...

this is my first time....as you can see, i act as if that the insurance company gonna kill me or what..............

anywho........i haven't explain about this one thing to you guys.....I DONT have my own insurance...right now, i'm a second driver under my brother's insurance policy...
that's why i hate this SH*tty ticket so much..........

and, under my bro's policy, he took the class already....so, if indeed my ticket increase the policy, taking a defensive driver course won't do anything to HIS (my brother)policy....

why am i bother to fight this ticket? sooner or later, i do have to transfer everything into my name...most probably after i'm 21 years old.....and i was actually hoping that my record's gonna be very very clean by that time............

oh well............i seriously learnt my lesson a lot this time......................
the law.......the speeding..........oh, fawk that. i was only passing for god sake.
Old 07-29-2004
Registered!!

TEAM COQUI is an unknown quantity at this point
Yo Hit Up Import Tuner They Have This Contest That They'll Pay For Your Ticket If Its A Good One They Usually Post An Article About That In Thier Magazine Check It Out And Let Me Know Whats Up ! Good Luck Yo
Old 07-29-2004
Registered!!

^^^ what do you mean and how to do that?
Old 07-29-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by civic_khaos
after reading everything here... zen - just pay the ticket. don't do the bull$hit of paying the extra money in hopes of it not going through - it's not worth it.
why?

don't you think that this is at least a lil' bit of effort from me to "fight" this ticket?

i think i'd rather do something about it....like this trick for instance, rather than just do nothing and pay the ticket like a chained dog........

I'm really really sorry that i talked like this, man........i'm kinda frustated man.......I KNOW...this is "only" a regular ticket..............but.....man...
Old 07-30-2004

Originally Posted by civic_khaos

I agree with Zen... all he has to lose is 3 bucks or so. I don't think his fincial world will crumble from a extra 3 dollar loose. It's not like FBI will come after him to cash his 3 dollar check or anything. I've done it and it works, so why not at least try, I really don't see how that is bull$hit?

As for insuarnce, did you read my posts? My insurance went 22 dollars a month for 2 tickets. Those stay on for 36 months, so take $22 x 36 months and thats 792 dollars. Now what sounds better, 6 bucks (3 dollars over for each ticket) or 792 dollars? I think I would at least try it for 6 bucks.
Old 08-04-2004
Registered!!

TEAM COQUI is an unknown quantity at this point
A Sned Me A Private Message And I Can Get You The Stuff You Need For That From Import Tuner Holla
Old 08-09-2004
Registered!!

o fawk.

i just called the court...............

ok, this is what they said, "Yes sir, we've received the money order of $135 last wednesday. You're all set."

ok, let's just see whether that $5 gonna do any trick or not.......LOL.