Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Quick Question for someone with a k20 flywheel outside of the car

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MechroMenace is an unknown quantity at this point
Quick Question for someone with a k20 flywheel outside of the car

I'm getting ready to buy a k20 or k24 and I need the diameter and thickness of the flywheel, From what I've found the flywheel should have an OD of around 12 inches if someone can confirm this that would be awesome the other thing isn't as important but it would be really helpful for design in solid works, while waiting for parts.

Pretty much what I'm doing is pulling the 90HP Iron duke out of my Fiero and I'm going to put a honda K-Series Motor in it. I'm trying to decide If i will be able to mate the K20 to the Izusu Transmission that is in the Fiero or i'll need to use the Si Transmission. I would rather cut an adapter plate and Modify a flywheel to fit a Fiero pressure plate or make a custom flywheel for mating the k20 and Izusu Trans, than buying a k20 with manual transmission I don't have tooling to cut splines for axles but I have the tooling for modifying a flywheel or making a new one.
Any help would be appreciated I would like to the order the engine in the next two week and If it turns out I need a honda transmission I rather order it with the engine.

Also if you guys have any recommendations for getting a ECM reprogrammed by someone to run standalone, I plan on buying an ecm and just wiring the the engine to it. maybe I'll try to modify the VSS to fit and and the pedal to keep drive by wire maybe not, thats my current plan but if you guys have better ways of doing something like this I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-19-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,322 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: Quick Question for someone with a k20 flywheel outside of the car

I'm surprised I cannot find anything while searching for that. I have one but it's currently in my car, I'll probably have it out in a few months if you wanted to wait.
Old 03-19-2020
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Oh cool project!

Not sure exactly what you're asking about the ecu.

If you want stand alone like control over the OEM k20 pcm, then you can send it into hondata.

if you need a flexible system to run both honda and Pontiac inputs/outputs, then im not sure hondata can do that, but contact them. The issues would be how flexible the voltage mapping systems are for each sensor; and how many user selected maps you can run.

You may want to run two pcm's, the honda one for the engine, and the Pontiac one for everything else.

you might have to split sensor signals though or run duplicate sensors. Things like the temperture sensor, which the Honda pcm needs to run the engine, and the Pontiac pcm needs to send signal to the dash board.
Old 03-19-2020
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

these guys might know? contact them
https://kmiata.com/
Old 03-19-2020
Registered!!

Sweet thanks for the help guys. So what I meant by standalone is that I need them to reprogram it so it only runs the engine. I may be able machine an adapter to use a Honda vss. I know a lot of newer cars have security systems built into the the PCM or rely on other computer modules in the car and I pretty much need the computer to ignore all that of. I may even have them do a couple tweaks because I'll probably going to do headers and I'm half tempted to make a custom aluminum intake manifold so it fits the fiero better and there's not exactly a whole lot of air flow with the engine in the back so the less plastic the better. also a nice thing about the 80s GM cars is that they don't need the PCM to run the instrument cluster. So I can get rid of the GM PCM and the Honda PCM won't need to worry about running anything else.

As for the flywheel dimensions I may just have to order one from like AutoZone or O'Reilly's take the measurements I need and return it kind of a dick move i know ,but it would work I suppose.
Old 03-19-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Could always go to a junkyard
Old 03-19-2020
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Could always go to a junkyard
you know, I should have thought of that. But for some reason junkyards are something that I don't even think about anymore, I really don't know why I like using them. I was actually considering calling machine shops to see if they had a trashed one laying around which makes way less sense than a junkyard. plus I need to find one that I can take the ring gear from, because the Honda dealer doesn't sell the ring gear separately.

Also I somehow managed to find the diameter of the flywheel when I wasn't even searching for it (I was looking for starter ring gear information) and a few people where able to confirm for someone else that it is a 12inch flywheel. Thickness would be nice to know but if the fiero's is .84 inches thick I think I should be able to order a 1 inch thick 12" x 12" inch plate of 6061-T6 aluminum and make the flywheel out of that, plus I will probably make a 1/4 thick steel disc for the fiction surface that I can bolt down that way I can make a few replacements and not have to worry about remaking a custom clutch down the road. I guess I'll need to order the engine so I can start get dimensions for making an adapter plate.
Old 03-20-2020
Registered!!

Well shoot I have been digging through forums, ebay and other tech info and had a couple helpful phone calls to parts/service guys at the dealership. the only thing I can't find now is the part number for the pigtails for the immobilizer. The dealer at least told me that I could find them in a 2001-2005 civic, 2002-2006 CRV or a 2003-2006 Element and it looks like my local pick n pull yard has 7 cars that I could get them off of. But i'd rather find them new and not have to dig through some car but I suppose I will do just that. I'm starting to remember why I lost interest in a 1uz-fe swap for another car but that was for emissions, and this is because the iron duke is a wimpy chunk of scrap metal.

Also the hondata and kmiata directions were very helpful, I learned a lot digging into that I also learned that spending 700$ to unlock the a 200$ ecu isn't needed to use it in another car, I just need to spend 250$ to get the ecu immobilizer and a key and I'll have what I need or I can get a 400$ JDM ecu and I won't need to disable a immobilizer but those seem to be rare as Sasquatch. But all in all this actually seems super easy now that I've learned all of this, it should be just as a easy as when I added a 90's GM TBI to a CJ7.

Thanks for getting my started in the right direction though, I haven't owned a honda in over 8 years and I never really got into modifying them. I've modified lots of GM stuff and most of their stuff is super simple mail your ecu off and get it back ready to go for 100$-200$. Out of curiosity do you think people on here would be interested in what I'm doing with the fiero and k20 or is that something better taken to the fiero forums?
Old 03-23-2020
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

You don't really need to do anything to the immobilizer. The K20 found in the RSX Type S uses the same type of immobilizer system as the 7th gen Civic. If the key is not recognized the fuel pump relay is not turned on. Simply jump the relay and it's good to go.
Old 03-23-2020
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
You don't really need to do anything to the immobilizer. The K20 found in the RSX Type S uses the same type of immobilizer system as the 7th gen Civic. If the key is not recognized the fuel pump relay is not turned on. Simply jump the relay and it's good to go.
From what I've read the immobilizers in the American Civics and Acuras disable the fuel pump and the injectors forcing you to use a immobilizer with matching key. But you've been able to by pass it by just skipping the ECU for turning the fuel pump on?
Old 03-23-2020
Super Moderator

I'm 99% sure just the fuel pump is disabled. The service manual makes no mention of ignition being disabled, just fuel. I've told 2-3 people with 7th gen Civics as well as someone with an RSX how to bypass the immobilizer by jumping the fuel relay and never heard any complaints.