Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

D17A1 Cam question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TunersDesire is an unknown quantity at this point
D17A1 Cam question

Ok so I got a d17a1 and i was wondering if there was a cam upgrade and I realize swapping to a A2 head would be much better with a crower cam but I already bought and installed the headers and exhaust for the a1 ( not realizing this is a problem with matching them up) So what can I do for this? Thanks Appreciate the Comments
Old 12-05-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: D17A1 Cam question

You have to do an -a2 head swap if you want a cam. The header ad exhause should bolt up just fine.
Old 12-05-2012
Registered!!

Mine is a 2002 lx 4 dr 1.7 are you positive they will match up?
Old 12-06-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I'm running on the assumption that, since people with D17A1s
(01-05 dx/lx) convert to D17A2 (01-05 US ex/CAD si) exhaust setups quite regularly, an exhaust for a D17A1 should bolt up to the -A2 head just fine.

If you're really worried about it, I'd wait until someone confirms/disproves what I posted, just to be safe. Logic, however, is what I'm basing my "theory" off of.

Oh, forgot to mention, there technically is one more route for you to cam your D17, and that would be with a custom cam grind.
Old 12-06-2012
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

so you're running a header, aftermarket cat. and cat. back? i'm guessing you have either disconnected the o2 sensor or you've run longer wires and placesd it in the cat. where the d17a2 cars have them?

if this is true then your havf way to completing a head swap.

the d17 is the same block in all d17 powered cars. the block is the lower part of the engine that holds the pistons. a d17a1 has an a1 head. the head is the part of the engine that holds the camshaft, which opens and closes you're valves letting air and fuel in and out of the engine. a d17a2 has an a2 head, the a2 head has a vtec solinoid on the back of it and comes with a camshaft that has the vtec profile.

to convert from a d17a1 to the head swapped a2 one has to replace the exhaust manifold with a header, extend the o2 sensor lower into a new cat., and one has to replace the a1 head with a a2 head and the ecu with an ecu from a car that had an a2 head.

so to complete the swap you'll have to track down an a2 ecu and head.
Old 12-06-2012
Registered!!

The header I got has the 2 o2 sensors on the far side i got extenstions on the wires so they would reach.
So what your saying is the -a2 head will match up with the header i have now?
And what i need to do the swap is the ex head and the ecu (like a Vafc2) to control the vtec is that everything what about the gasket?
Old 12-09-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Mac, there are small differences in the compression and i *think* some oil passages inside the block (oil squirt to piston?), but not related to the head connection to the block between the A1 and A2. they still interchangeable though. Far as i know, everything still connects to head too, exhaust/intake/gaskets. just need controllers
Old 12-11-2012
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

as far as i've read you need an ex ecu not an aftermarket. not sure if the wiring is the same. the header should bolt up to the new a2 head.
Old 12-11-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

an aftyermarket VFAC should do the same, though i *think* they not available anymore. the stock ECU might need making the wiring
Old 12-12-2012
Registered!!

Does anyone know if there is a si/ex vtec full head on here for sale?