Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Head gasket timing question before surgery??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civic98? is an unknown quantity at this point
Head gasket timing question before surgery??

So with the help of some others here. I am pretty sure I have my issue down to head gasket. My question is how involved does the timing get . Is there a way to mark it if so? Also I never looked at water pump. Is there a way to test that? I am pretty sure when the fluid is shooting out the overflow and spittin out the rad when cap is off on start up is head gasket. ( so far tested fans, replaced thermostat, flushed system tested sensors.)
Old 08-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honda200192 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Head gasket timing question before surgery??

K the timing belt is somthing that if you mess up.........its gonna be a big mess. So take your time doing this and be patient..1# take pics of everything that way if you get lost you can go back and look. 2# the timing markings are on your camshaft sprocket. you can't miss them. their is 2 markings. One on each side..those markings need to be side by side like this ( . . ) that means its top dead center. As for your water pump when you take it off it should spin freely. But honestly i would just replace it along with a new belt tensioner.
Old 08-06-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Send your head to a machine shop to be checked for flatness.
A warped head will not seal.
If it is warped it needs corrected by the machine shop.

Water pump, replace it while apart if there is any question.

Factory gives all the markings needed to correctly time the cam-crank, just follow your service manual.

Mark your distributor housing (base-to-head) so it can be reinstalled in the exact same place. I just use a sharp chisel to make a straight line mark.
See here:
Name:  DSCN2051m2.jpg
Views: 13178
Size:  138.7 KB
Old 08-13-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Through the help of Ezone and Mikey1.. I recently did a first time head gasket replacement. The best price for OEM gaskets/parts was on Hondapartsnow.com
Here's a list of the items you'll need:

12251-P2J-004 Cylinder Head Gasket, MLS: Multi-Layered Steel
18115-P2A-003 Exhaust Manifold Gasket,
17105-P2F-A02 Intake Manifold Gasket
12210-PZ1-004 Seal A, Valve Stem. Need to order 8 of these
12211-PZ1-004 Seal B, Valve Stem. Need to order 8 of these
91213-P2F-A01 Camshaft Oil Seal (29X45X8)
30110-PA1-732 Distributor O-Ring (26.4X3.1) (Tec)
19301-PAA-306 Thermostat Assy. (Nippon Thermostat)
90008-PZ1-003 Cylinder head Bolts and Washers (10X120.5) 10 bolts/washers needed

The thermostat and rubber mounting ring is optional but, best if you do not have record of the current one installed. If no record of timing belt ... best to replace with timing belt kit (timing belt, water pump, tensioner) I purchased this one:
Amazon.com: Aisin TKH-005 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump: Automotive Amazon.com: Aisin TKH-005 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump: Automotive

Download (free) and follow Field Service Manual (FSM) and follow it as best as possible: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/464...nda-Civic.html

These videos should also be helpful:

Last edited by Wankenstein; 08-13-2015 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-13-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

As Ezone stated you'll need to bring the cylinder head to an automotive machinist.
Call several in your area and ask for prices on:
1) Resurfacing
2) Check for cracks and pitting
3) Lapp grind
4) Valve stem seal seating

They may suggest a 3-angle valve job but, the machinist who did mine said that's not necessary since I am using the current valves (none were bent).
He charged me $200 and most wanted $300. He even inserted the new 91213-P2F-A01 Camshaft Oil Seal (29X45X8) I gave him. You will need to do a valve lash adjustment after you get it all back together with timing belt (kit) installed.

Best to purchase all your parts first and have them ready before you start tearing it to replace head gasket... I didn't and it took me way longer than necessary.
I did however, go slowly and take my time and fortunately had great responses (and patience) here from Ezone and Mikey1.
You won't find a thread chaser long enough as shown in the first video I posted.. so best to use compressed air to blow out the block's head bolts threads.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 08-13-2015 at 11:52 AM.